i just got a very unexpected fretless rouge bass as a gift from some relatives , and after a proper set up it has no buzz or anything, but i was wondering what settings i need on my amp for a fretless roar tone.

also on another topic, who do you think should be the singer for Velvet Revolver ? I think Chris Cornell would be great, hes a great singer, and if he pulled it off with RATM, he could do it with VR
You mean growl? Most fretless basses have flatwound strings and they don't get much of a growl. If the fingerboard's coated with epoxy or some other kind of protection then you can put some roundwound strings on it and just use the same settings as a fretted bass.
Quote by pwrmax
You mean growl? Most fretless basses have flatwound strings and they don't get much of a growl. If the fingerboard's coated with epoxy or some other kind of protection then you can put some roundwound strings on it and just use the same settings as a fretted bass.

i meant just the settings , i heard you have to turn the treble up but im not sure
Quote by Taygunov
i meant just the settings , i heard you have to turn the treble up but im not sure

I use the same settings for my fretless as I do for my other basses.
Quote by thegiaco2112
for a growly fretlless I dont know use a overdrive pedal or turn the gain on the amp

I've tried that, the only good growling overdrive I've heard (for fretless) is from a Mesa and I doubt many of us have that kind of money.
a real nice growl you get from turning up your low mids a good bit and maybe a little bass and or mids....and the thing that really makes the growl if you have a Jpick up solo the bridge one and play near the bridge
sounds good

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Taygunov
also on another topic, who do you think should be the singer for Velvet Revolver ? I think Chris Cornell would be great, hes a great singer, and if he pulled it off with RATM, he could do it with VR

He pulled it off with RATM? Did you even hear any RATM songs covered by Audioslave? The playing was great, obviously because it was the RATM members playing them, but the vocals where ****ing horrible.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
I don't know about a growl, more like a mellow "Mwuaaaa"
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
You can't fake that fretless growl with flatwound strings. EQing won't bail you out here.

Axl Rose. Just get it over with and reunite already.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I say Fitz in VR.

that'd be pretty cool.

Uger playing with Slash. whodathunk?

and you can get a good heavy thump with fretless when you boost the treble on your amp and cut it a little on the said bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
You need Roundwounds.

The reason cornell couldn't do rage songs is because he isn't a rapper, ironically his latest album shall be awful hip hop
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.