right the bassist in my band is after a new bass and is looking at BC's. But I have heard that cheap BC guitars are quite poor quality, is this the same for bass?
He's looking at the Warlok Vortex sig and the mockingbird heritage.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I'd try getting him to buy an ESP LTD bass instead.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Only the High end BC Rich are decent. Still for the amount you have to pay i would get something else.
The low end BC Rich are so bad that i wouldnt even use them to light the fire place.

Zombie Exotic Classic Bass
mockingbird heritage

are probably the only half decent ones.

He is probably better off getting something else...
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
uhh i'm not soo sure exact numbers, I think it's around the £200 mark possibly going up further but it won't be much further.
I've suggested the squire Mike Dirnt sig 'cos at the moment we're just starting off really and doing covers of greenday, offspring and blink 182 with one metallica song as well. So thought the squire would be more suited, soundwise, to what we're gunna be playing
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

i can say from experience that even the NJ series are very poor and not worth the money at all. i'd really recommend he drop the idea of getting a "shape" bass and get a brilliant, comfortable instrument instead.
is there any particular brand that does comfortable, decent sounding basses for the kind of £200 - 250 range?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by SimplyBen
is there any particular brand that does comfortable, decent sounding basses for the kind of £200 - 250 range?

yamaha, ibanez, schecter check those brands mate
Quote by SimplyBen

I'm not sure how much a Mexican Fender costs in Britain but if it's close to the North American price then I'd suggest a P-bass or J-bass.
BC Rich basses are cheap for sure, in terms of quality moreso than price! Stay away from buying an instrument that you think will give you "Attitude", you are better off getting something that sounds great that you can keep for several years. You don't see amyn 25 year old bassists palying Warlock basses...not that theres anything inherently wrong with that!

My point is, tell him to spend his money on the TONE he wants, not the look he wants. If it's look you are after, you are better off achieving that through stage presence, playing style, and wardrobe.
200 250 mark buy an ibanez they urinate all over b.c.rich (unless your spending 600 plus)
Quote by Slay 'Em
Ibanez blows, B.C. Rich blows, get an ESP/LTD.

Ibanez most definitely does not blow!!!
I don't think you'll get a mexi for £200-250. closer to £350 i think, and from my local its over £400. Squier basses, Ibanez, T-bird if you really find that sound attractive, most don't
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
kill him, if he thinks BC Riches look cool, he does not deserve life.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Slay 'Em
Ibanez blows, B.C. Rich blows, get an ESP/LTD.

No. Ibanez kick ass. Definitley get him to check out Squiers, yahmaha and Ibanezes
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by the humanity
kill him, if he thinks BC Riches look cool, he does not deserve life.

But... but... the Mockingbird is awesome!
Quote by ele1122
But... but... the Mockingbird is awesome!

I'll let it slide this time.

seriously, try Ibanez, Schecter, maybe some MIM Fenders. good, nice sound, versatile, good solid feel.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'd like to say that he should probably settle for an ESP, i have an LTD ESP B-50, was my first bass, and i love it and still do.
I also own a BC-Rich Zonbie Exotic Classic and i can say i do prefer the zombie but on the budget of £200 you wont get a zombie exotic anywhere, you can however get an ESP. Get him to drop into local guitar shops and try stuff out really, best way.

Before people start raving about how bad BC's are id like to say your wrong, i agree lower end ones are, but try higher end ones like my zombie and you'll see the difference. I'm not stating they're the best for their price range though, but hell it looks immense.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w