Title says it all.

I've heard it's played in Drop D half a step down. But I can play the solo in just Drop D.

Help? I want to be able to keep my guitar in Drop D tuning. Especially when I get my LTD MH-1000, tuning will be a pain in the butt.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
just play it a half-step up (drop-D) if you don't want to tune down, i do that with certain songs i don't want to tune down to. Yes, it won't be 100% the same, but same note intervals just half-a-step up
its hard to play open note power chords (like the main riff for almost easy has) in a different tuning. the note will be close, as it is only a half step off, but it wont be exact. a lot of solos, however, do not use open notes, and so you can play them by just moving your hand down a fret or two.
It will sound the same but just one fret higher. It will be absolutely normal unless you're going to play along with the recording.
A man, a woman, and a bad musician walk into a bar...

Lady GaGa orders a beer.
Quote by davis1393
its hard to play open note power chords (like the main riff for almost easy has) in a different tuning. the note will be close, as it is only a half step off, but it wont be exact. a lot of solos, however, do not use open notes, and so you can play them by just moving your hand down a fret or two.

I see.

Just curious but when A7x does this live do they go out of their way and retune their guitars on stage???
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
yea just change the fret up

btw, what happened to the schecter syn custom white/gold and the mesa rect-o-verb
dude man to me tuning really doesnt matter. well im mean for songs. but i play all a7x songs dropped D. Like scream and almost easy. So yaeh man just play it.
you have 3 options:

1. Tune to the exact tuning. This will allow you to play along with the CD, and the song will sound "correct."

2. Leave you guitar in drop-D standard, and transpose the notes to fit the tuning. This will probably make you have to do a few weird chord shapes where there used to be open strings, and you will lose the ambiance of the open strings that you hear on the CD.

3. Just play it in drop-D standard, and be a half-step higher than the CD. this may or may not sound good you, but as long as the bassist and other guitarist and singer are all playing in the same tuning and key, it will sound like the song.
if your just playin in your bedroom save the time and keep it in drop d
Quote by takeapicture

YOU CAN ALL SUCK MY 3 INCH WILLY

Quote by primusfan
i'm the one pulling my own pants down in front of people. and i have a small penis.

Quote by imdeth
Penises look much better than vaginas in my opinion. A vagina looks like an axe wound.
Quote by frigginjerk
you have 3 options:

1. Tune to the exact tuning. This will allow you to play along with the CD, and the song will sound "correct."

2. Leave you guitar in drop-D standard, and transpose the notes to fit the tuning. This will probably make you have to do a few weird chord shapes where there used to be open strings, and you will lose the ambiance of the open strings that you hear on the CD.

3. Just play it in drop-D standard, and be a half-step higher than the CD. this may or may not sound good you, but as long as the bassist and other guitarist and singer are all playing in the same tuning and key, it will sound like the song.

Well what happens when I have a guitar with a tremolo on it?

Won't it be a royal pain?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Well what happens when I have a guitar with a tremolo on it?

Won't it be a royal pain?

if your guitar has a locking trem, you'll have to play the song in your normal tuning, or else it will be a HUGE pain in the ass just to play one little song.
Quote by frigginjerk
if your guitar has a locking trem, you'll have to play the song in your normal tuning, or else it will be a HUGE pain in the ass just to play one little song.

I'm ****ing screwed. The guitar i'm getting (LTD MH-1000) has a locking trem I believe.

Wow...this sucks.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I'm ****ing screwed. The guitar i'm getting (LTD MH-1000) has a locking trem I believe.

Wow...this sucks.

Just play it in standard Drop D, then. : l
Quote by AngelOfHatred
Just play it in standard Drop D, then. : l

...excuse me while I punish myself for being stupid.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Have you not read any of the thousands of threads on Floyd Rose trems that have been posted since you joined?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I see.

Just curious but when A7x does this live do they go out of their way and retune their guitars on stage???

No, they will have more than one guitar kept in different tunings. Many bands do.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by steven seagull
Have you not read any of the thousands of threads on Floyd Rose trems that have been posted since you joined?

No because up until now I've never had to worry about one.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
I wouldn't worry too much. Retuning a Floyd isn't hard, just takes a bit of time. Then after you hit that tuning it stays minus minor adjustments every now and again. If you have a hard tail keep that in whatever alternate tunings you'd want and problems are pretty much solved.
Why not leave you're other guitar in drop D flat to play Almost Easy?

You're getting all bent up about 1 song.

Plus, Afterlife is in Drop D and is WAY Cooler.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
No, they will have more than one guitar kept in different tunings. Many bands do.

This.

That's why they keep alternating between guitars. It's not just for fun.

Just keep one guitar in Drop D and another in Drop D flat, for the songs that use it. I think Scream does as well.
Last edited by Delanoir at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by Delanoir
This.

That's why they keep alternating between guitars. It's not just for fun.

Just keep one guitar in Drop D and another in Drop D flat, for the songs that use it. I think Scream does as well.

Danggit lol.

Yesterday 2 good things happened to me.

Got the Almost Easy solo and decided to tackle the song. And got the Scream riff and decided to tackle the song. Then I found out their in drop d flat so I have to retune my guitar whenever I play those songs lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by Survivalism
You can play any song in any tuning.

That doesn't make it right.

Wow thanks didn't know that lol.

I'm asking if I can play it right but in Drop D. Which apparantly I can't
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Why don't you keep the guitar in drop Db then? It sounds like you want to play A7X covers. You could always play them in drop D too. It'll sound fine and most people won't notice. If you keep the guitar in Db you can still play your D songs if you capo the first fret, or you could play them a half step down.

It's really not a big deal, only a half step. And it'll only take about 15-20 minutes (max) to set the guitar guitar up a half step lower. A Tremol-no could really help as well.
Quote by JD Red LP
Why don't you keep the guitar in drop Db then? It sounds like you want to play A7X covers. You could always play them in drop D too. It'll sound fine and most people won't notice. If you keep the guitar in Db you can still play your D songs if you capo the first fret, or you could play them a half step down.

It's really not a big deal, only a half step. And it'll only take about 15-20 minutes (max) to set the guitar guitar up a half step lower. A Tremol-no could really help as well.

A7x is my favorite band. Naturally I love to play their songs. So yeah.

Idk though, I've grown onto Drop D. I mean I guess I can play stuff in Drop D like Almost Easy right? I mean I got a few parts down in drop d. Would it really be noticeable if I did?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
What do you mean 'would it be noticable?'

Well i wouldn't be able to get to sound spot on perfect right? Or would i be able to in just drop d?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
A7x is my favorite band. Naturally I love to play their songs. So yeah.

Idk though, I've grown onto Drop D. I mean I guess I can play stuff in Drop D like Almost Easy right? I mean I got a few parts down in drop d. Would it really be noticeable if I did?

It might be noticeable to some people because it's a half step higher, but it'll still sound like "Almost Easy". It's not a huge difference. I personally would set the guitar up in Drop Db (Db, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, eb) because their old songs sound great in that tuning (IMO, used to be a huge fan and always had my guitar a half step down because I preferred that tuning). In drop Db you could also capo the first fret and if your intonation and everything else is spot-on you can play like you're in drop D.
Quote by lylewithans182
Why not leave you're other guitar in drop D flat to play Almost Easy?

You're getting all bent up about 1 song.

Plus, Afterlife is in Drop D and is WAY Cooler.

But is it easier to play? Nope....
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Snake™
But is it easier to play? Nope....

x2

From the looks of the tabs Almost Easy is easier than UC lol minus the solo of course. But now I got the solo down so I thought I should probably learn the whole song.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
You could use Audacity (google it and download it, it's a free audio editing and recording program) to change the pitch of the song

You can import Almost Easy into Audacity and change the pitch to make it note higher, moving it from Drop Db to Drop D, so you can play along with the song without having to retune, thats what i do to play Drop C songs and such ^_^
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Quote by xJuan91x
You could use Audacity (google it and download it, it's a free audio editing and recording program) to change the pitch of the song

You can import Almost Easy into Audacity and change the pitch to make it note higher, moving it from Drop Db to Drop D, so you can play along with the song without having to retune, thats what i do to play Drop C songs and such ^_^

Doesn't that screw with the voices and such though? Now that I read this, I'm thinking about using this to play along with some Disturbed stuff, maybe A7X to if I cba to do that.
Well, changing it half a step will not really screw anything it up... a whole step yeah, but it doesnt always sound bad, it just sounds different

Take The End of Heartache by KSE and tune it up 5 semitones, he sounds JUST like a girl on the verses.

What tuning do you use on ur guitar?
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom
Peavey Vypyr 75w
TS, what the hell are you talking about? What do you want, exactly?

If you want to play a song in Drop Db, and your in Drop D, it doesn't matter at all. If you follow and play the tabs, the song, song structure and fingerings will all be the same.
It only starts sucking when you're going to play along with the cd, because their guitars would be half a step lower than yours.

If you want to play a cover-song by Avenged Sevenfold (what's wrong with just typing it out?) in a band, just keep your guitar in drop D, if that's your usual tuning. As long as you, the bassist and a possible second guitarist are all in the same tuning and key, it'll sound good. There's no justifying in having to tune a guitar completely for just one or two songs.

So seriously, what is it that you want to do, exactly?
Quote by xJuan91x

Take The End of Heartache by KSE and tune it up 5 semitones, he sounds JUST like a girl on the verses.

*tries* Sounds like the voice of the penis on south park
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Quote by xJuan91x
Well, changing it half a step will not really screw anything it up... a whole step yeah, but it doesnt always sound bad, it just sounds different

What tuning do you use on ur guitar?

If you're speaking to me, then I normally am in standard or Drop D, the lowest I'll go is Drop Db. So moving it up to Drop D/Db from Drop C shouldn't change too much?
i play everything in different keys cuz i dont wanna tune. i play drop C in drop D and all standards in standard.
unless youre playing to the song. if you play to the song, get audacity or something and change the pitch.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack