Page 1 of 3
So it turns out that I HAVE to get a Macbook Pro for my college. Fine.

I'm looking at the cheapest one ($1800 through college discount): 2.4GHz, 200GB, 2GB RAM, 8600MGT 256. I think I'll pick up the free 8GB touch and an HP printer and upgrade to 250GB HD.

Anyways, I'm just wondering what are some common hardware/software/general problems that occur on these models so that I can take preventative measures. Any input is appreciated.

Edit:

Please note my opening statement. It implies that I don't have a choice. I am not asking whether I should get a PC or a Mac. Please please PLEASE wrap this concept around your head. You are wasting your time by arguing about which OS is better.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 12, 2008,
Macs are perfect machines, aesthetically and functionally.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I swear it's possible to get it a lot cheaper than that.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by darkstar2466

This. I just got one and I've had a desktop mac for years. ****'s never crashed or had a single problem.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
i just got an iMac a couple of weeks ago, blows me away how flawless these things are,

i've had no issues with compatibility either

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Well I'm sorry for you. Macbooks suck.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Macs are like massive tits you want them on your lap but you dont need them.
Quote by darkstar2466

I doubt they're perfect. Why would forums such as MacFixIt exist if they were?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I've never had a problem with mine.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by Jonn0
I swear it's possible to get it a lot cheaper than that.

Show me please.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I got a Macbook, since I'm such a computer noob I didn't realize that the graphics sucked ass and that I should have saved more money to get the Pro.
Quote by lotsofvolume
Clicky.

Have a look around here. People post their problems/hardware failures etc there, and others help them fix their mac.

It's hard to pinpoint the common ones though..there's like a million problems on there.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

To give the illusion that Macs are built by mere mortals.
Quote by darkstar2466

+1. I have a macbook and I love it. The only things I would recommend are Firefox and getting the Microsoft Office Home and Student edition package. It's pretty cheap and it's nice to have to the office programs and interfaces. Either that or get Mac's iWork package. I personally got Office because of compatibility, but both should suit your need.

If you're going for some sort of engineering, I'd go with Office because the iWorks version of Excel is lacking in a few areas. That's another reason I got Office, intending to go into engineering.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

So an apple on the back of your display would give your computer divine powers?

Oh no.. This is turning into a Mac/Windows war..

I refuse to call them "Macs". Does the name mean that they are not "Personal Computers"? If they're not personal, who do they belong to?

Macintosh is just an overly-hyped operating system. You can get all the same stuff with Linux.
Last edited by Saintsatan at Aug 12, 2008,
Quote by Portuguese_boy
I got a Macbook, since I'm such a computer noob I didn't realize that the graphics sucked ass and that I should have saved more money to get the Pro.

256 Mb 8600GT is very good either. Don't buy a Mac if you want to play games.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
ive used macs most of my life. people who say windows is better have never used a mac before. they are amazing.

the only one problem ive had is that the mother board on my older imac pretty much over headed and the capasitors exploded pretty much. it would have been 800$ to fix, but since i bought the 3 year warrenty it was free. i sugest you buy the apple care. its like 250.
Quote by Terror Kovenant
I'm a retard.

Wow, thanks for wasting your time and effort to post that.

In case if you haven't noticed, the opening post clearly states that I DON'T HAVE A CHOICE.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

The Mac OS is Unix based. For a programmer who wants neat looking things with great functionality AND a gnarly development space in the comfort of the terminal, nothing beats a Mac. It comes with excellent programs too.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Brokntragedy

the only one problem ive had is that the mother board on my older imac pretty much over headed and the capasitors exploded pretty much. it would have been 800$ to fix, but since i bought the 3 year warrenty it was free. i sugest you buy the apple care. its like 250.

What the hell. How did that happen?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
What the hell. How did that happen?

i only shut it off twice in the 2 years that i had it :X it bassically over heated.
Quote by darkstar2466
The Mac OS is Unix based. For a programmer who wants neat looking things with great functionality AND a gnarly development space in the comfort of the terminal, nothing beats a Mac. It comes with excellent programs too.

Y hulo thar, Linux.
Quote by darkstar2466

I'm not a programmer...

Anyways, I'm more concerned about hardware. How's the airflow and cooling and such?

Quote by Brokntragedy
i only shut it off twice in the 2 years that i had it :X it bassically over heated.

lol I see

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Saintsatan
Y hulo thar, Linux.

Not enough support in linux, despite GIGANTIC forums detailing every problem ever encountered.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
since its a macbook pro your getting the more advanced parts, so obviously its gunna be better than getting a regular macbook. but as long as you take care of it its gunna always run flawless.
Quote by darkstar2466
Not enough support in linux, despite GIGANTIC forums detailing every problem ever encountered.

I recently installed Linux. For some reason a lot of the options of right click menus are not working...

To the guy who said I can get it for cheaper: HOW?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
go for the midrange one its better and you'll need the extra graphics power. I'm getting either a midrange or the 17 inch for my college this year
Quote by sk8boardbob2
256 Mb 8600GT is very good either.

I'm guessing you meant "isn't".

Why?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
(This has turned into a Mac vs PC thread.)
What makes Macs worth buying over other PCs?
The hardware? I lol'd. The Operating System? Yeah, right.

OSX86 FTW.
That way, you can run OSX on a computer that isn't ****ty and overpriced. Build your own Mac, and you could probably spend $800 and get a "Mac" lightyears ahead of anything near that price range. 100% functionality from OSX (assuming you look up the parts first and ensure compatibility), 0% of the bull****.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by Stratmaster458
you'll need the extra graphics power.

Why?

I'm studying music... not graphics design.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
To the guy who said I can get it for cheaper: HOW?

Well I know that you can get the whole Photoshop bundle for about £250 (worth about £1700) through this student orientated company in our town. I assume there's a way of doing it with hardware too.

EDIT:
Quote by tona_107
have fun holding down control when you want to right click

Oh god I hate that.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by rafarquhar

OSX86 FTW.
That way, you can run OSX on a computer that isn't ****ty and overpriced. Build your own Mac, and you could probably spend $800 and get a "Mac" lightyears ahead of anything near that price range. 100% functionality from OSX (assuming you look up the parts first and ensure compatibility), 0% of the bull****.

this is for his school. not for your video games.
hes not gunna lug a giant computer with him. read **** first. i lol'd.
Quote by rafarquhar

OSX86 FTW.

Does my opening statement completely fly over your head?

"So it turns out that I HAVE to get a Macbook Pro."

Do you know what implies?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by tona_107
have fun holding down control when you want to right click

no thers a right click button. like i said, people who say mac sucks, thinks the only macs out there are the ****ty ones from 97, yah those sucked. try the new ones. they are way different.
Quote by darkstar2466

Did you even TRY to answer the question?
Quote by Brokntragedy
this is for his school. not for your video games.
hes not gunna lug a giant computer with him. read **** first. i lol'd.

See the "This has turned into a PC vs Mac thread" at the top of my post. God, learn to read.

Also, if you're gonna be a dick about it, OSX86 works on laptops too.

EDIT: Wait.. do you need the pro specifically? The college said that? That doesn't make much sense.

At the expense of looking like a douchebag, I'm leaving this thread.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Page 1 of 3