ive been looking at guitarcenter.com and this site for a while. after looking around i got into PRS SE's and Schecter C-1s. So i go to my guitar center to try some out. and low and behold they have like 4 different SE models including that new purple one with the bats (amazing looking), and a bunch of C-1s. anywho i try them out but they all have these flat faces. I was so disappointed, i mustve picked up the same SE 5 times hoping it would be comfortable.

Is it just me or are Fender Strats and Strat copies the only guitar that actually considered ergonomics. If not what are other ones? I just dont get why so many guitar models have these cornered edges going around right where a player would rest his forearm.

I know this is kind of a whiny rant, but shoot every guitar whos looks, and features, make me wanna buy it and play it all day end up being ridiculously uncomfortable to hold. And i dont want to end up just buying a strat for a new guitar (not to sound blasphemous, their looks are just too standard in my mind). I want something sexy.

Suggestions? (HH, good for blues, classic rock, and metal)
Many disagree with me but i think the most comfortable guitar to play is a V shaped guitar with the lower horn between your legs, so the guitar straddles your right leg. I've always loved that shape.
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
- Marshall VS100 + Marshall 1960A Cab
get a steinberger; they're really ergonomic. ^_^

Maybe try some ibanez, jackson and esp guitars?
Quote by Duvmunch
Many disagree with me but i think the most comfortable guitar to play is a V shaped guitar with the lower horn between your legs, so the guitar straddles your right leg. I've always loved that shape.

you must be magic. i can't do that
You're right, you can tell by my name that I love Sg's and pretty much all Dean guitars, but you have to get used to the dean's complex shape, SG's on the other hand have a wonderful feel to them and just meld to your body shape, they are the most comfortable guitars and don't sacrifice looks and sounds...
I think an SG is very ergonomic.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by WSR66
I think an SG is very ergonomic.

Agreed. Gotta love that curve coming from the left horn.
I think Jaguar shaped ones are the most ergonomic standing up, they balance perfectly.
I don't even shred
tx for the quick replies. i forgot to mention my budget of $650. i tried Vs and its just too different to hold them like you have to. the SG shape - idk i tried one, it seems when sitting down like the end of the fretboard is a mile away.

ill probably check out a bunch of ibanez models next time
Parkers are very ergonomic, Ibanez S series aswell.

I personally think Explorers and ML's balance very well.
I stole this signature
I'd think that Ibanez RGs are just are ergonomic as strats, if not more.

Rickies look pretty good too, but I've never played one.
Have you looked at the higher-end PRSs? They all have carved tops which would make them much more ergonomic. Also there are the Ibanez RGAs, also carved tops.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Can someone give me the simple term definition of ergonomics? Wikipedia's is a bit complex for my level of concentration.
Quote by Eric 666
Can someone give me the simple term definition of ergonomics? Wikipedia's is a bit complex for my level of concentration.

It's basically the science of designing things so that people can use them comfortably but can also extend to making sure things are the right size for most people and making sure that people can use things for extended times without risk of injury. Like those anti-RSI keyboards you can get, that's ergonomics.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's basically the science of designing things so that people can use them comfortably but can also extend to making sure things are the right size for most people and making sure that people can use things for extended times without risk of injury. Like those anti-RSI keyboards you can get, that's ergonomics.

Oh so its like a One-Size-Fits-All type of thing?
Quote by Eric 666
Oh so its like a One-Size-Fits-All type of thing?

As close as possible, yeah.

Basically when people design, say, a chair, they have a book of measurements that will fit 95% of people for a certain region (like America) and they design the chair to fit those people. There's probably more to it that that but that's what I remember from my first year of college.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
As close as possible, yeah.

Basically when people design, say, a chair, they have a book of measurements that will fit 95% of people for a certain region (like America) and they design the chair to fit those people. There's probably more to it that that but that's what I remember from my first year of college.

Um you are thinking of anthropometrics i think!
Ergonomics is about comfort (it relates to anthropometrics in alot of cases; but it's not the same thing).
So the width of a guitar neck would probably be considered anthropometrics because it relies on the average player's hand size for reference and if it is too big then it will exclude people from using it; whereas the shape of the guitar body would be more concerned with ergonomics such as the cutout on the back of a strat-stlye guitar for your ribs as it is not necessary but it's an extra selling point for people more concerned with comfort.
Gear:
>ESP LTD FX-400SM
>LAG Jet JM100 with Swineshead Venom (bridge) and Warthog (neck) pickups
>EHX Bigg Muff Pi
>BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
>Epiphone Valve Standard (Class A 15Watt)
Quote by Duvmunch

i agree. i love king v's.
Quote by Mirkin_321
Um you are thinking of anthropometrics i think!
Ergonomics is about comfort (it relates to anthropometrics in alot of cases; but it's not the same thing).
So the width of a guitar neck would probably be considered anthropometrics because it relies on the average player's hand size for reference and if it is too big then it will exclude people from using it; whereas the shape of the guitar body would be more concerned with ergonomics such as the cutout on the back of a strat-stlye guitar for your ribs as it is not necessary but it's an extra selling point for people more concerned with comfort.

I knew it was something like that though; it's been about 4 years since I even thought about any of this so I think I'm close enough for my purposes

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
What about Aerodyne strats? Are they even in production anymore?
GEAR:
Crate V50 combo
Bad Monkey OD
Boss DS-1
Squier 20th Ann. Bullet (black on black, Gibson 500T pickup, Ping tuners)

Quote by crackereast
i'm going to call charmin and see if they will endorse me.
i use the **** out of there paper.
Quote by meezi
And i dont want to end up just buying a strat for a new guitar (not to sound blasphemous, their looks are just too standard in my mind). I want something sexy.

I hear what you are saying but Strats are also very easy to customize and also hold value well, especially a MIA.

PS: I think my strat looks pretty sexy but then again, i like the all black look.
Attachments:
IMG_7047.JPG
Quote by idonthavefleas
What about Aerodyne strats? Are they even in production anymore?

According to the Fender website they're out of production but you might still be able to find them new if you're lucky and they might turn up used, obviously.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
^Only strat I would actually want...I'm doin that to my Squire...**** YEH
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I guarantee a Parker will be the most comfortable guitar you'll every pick up if you can get over the looks. Those RKS Wave looked really cool as well, but I've never tried, much less seen, one in person. A Jackson RR in Classical Position is very comfy as well. Personally though, any guitar feels better in Classical position as it feels more natural. I know Glenn Tipton does this when playing down a lot. The only issue you can have is the trem arm can catch on your leg.
Quote by CJRocker
I guarantee a Parker will be the most comfortable guitar you'll every pick up if you can get over the looks.

Who needs to get over the looks? I think Niteflys are sexy as hell!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Who needs to get over the looks? I think Niteflys are sexy as hell!

I could see where they are ugly, due to the really weird horn. but there is something way too cool for me about them. They are like the ultimate super Strats. I would kill to have of Amir Derakh's with a Roland GK2. That said, I don't get the LP looking ones.
I have a Yamaha tele with a relief cutaway in the back(like a strat's) and it is very comfortable. LPs look pretty comfortable to play (though the weight on unchambered ones might be off-putting), and some semi-hollow bodies look pretty good. Jazzmasters/Jaguars/Mustangs look like they would be comfortable too. also, don't underestimate the effect a good, wide, possibly padded, guitar strap can have. It can make your axe feel alot lighter.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
I think that the C-1's are fine. I don't mind playing a slab body, which is why I bought an LP.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.