Page 1 of 3
Which is better?

Japan made vs USA made i can't decide, both look great, sound great, feel great, i just want to know which one is going to be more reliable.

Any opinions?
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
- Marshall VS100 + Marshall 1960A Cab
Well one is made in the usa, and on in japan. Thats a hard one...really. But umm, i might go with the alexi because it has the cutaway to get better fret access
Alexi USA? Uh first off, ESP doesn't make guitars in the USA. Second, their MIJ offerings are 2 to 3 times the price of the Jackson. third, if you're looking at that ESP (not LTD Korean) Alexi, why are you not looking at a Jackson USA?
in australia the Alexi-USA is $3500 and the USA Jacksons are more like $5500
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
wait, can you link the guitars you are looking at, just to confirm there the one's im thinking of?
Quote by FRDesign
The ESP Alexi (NOT the LTD) is made in Japan

The RR24 is also made in Japan

Oh ok, i guess that just makes my decision harder haha
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
Quote by FRDesign
The RR24 is only about $1300, while the ESP Alexi is like $3000.

Why are you comparing the two.

thats probably a good point
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
Quote by Duvmunch
thats probably a good point
It is, You can get an American Made Jackson which would be just as good as the ESP.

Or you could spend less and get the LTD Alexi 600, which is cheaper than the jackson and wouldn't play as good.
Quote by Ghold125
i think you need to do some more research on these amps...

well thats kinda what i'm doing here, i don't understand how the ESP model range works
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
Quote by Duvmunch
The site i'm seeing prices on has these two:

http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod4438.htm

http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod4439.htm

What is the difference between "Custom shop" and "Signature", and which is the one thats actually on the ESP website
The Signature is on ESPs website, but the Custom Shop one is made in ESP's Custom Shop which will be better made.
Quote by FRDesign
The Signature is on ESPs website, but the Custom Shop one is made in ESP's Custom Shop which will be better made.

that makes sense
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
here we go
ESP is the Head company, then they have an off company LTD. You can kinda of think of it as Gibson and Epiphone, 2 differernt companies but are still the same corporation. Such that LTD is the lower end of the ESP models. But it comes with a catch that the higher end LTD's are of still great quality. Such as with the 600 and 1000 series.

I might have to re-word that...
Quote by Ghold125
here we go
ESP is the Head company, then they have an off company LTD. You can kinda of think of it as Gibson and Epiphone, 2 differernt companies but are still the same corporation. Such that LTD is the lower end of the ESP models. But it comes with a catch that the higher end LTD's are of still great quality. Such as with the 600 and 1000 series.

I might have to re-word that...

Yeah ok, are all LTD's made in korea?
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
well my opinion may not matter cause i am kinda biased. i'd say the rr24 over the alexi. some will say the cut away will make it easier to reach the high frets and it does...a little, but the rr24 is a neckthru so you should be able to reach the frets anyway. Jackson necks are alot thinner and faster feeling IMO. i dont like the feel of esp/ltds. i guess it depends on what neck profile you like the most since the bodys are very similar as are the options.
LTD = Korean. Pretty solid quality, but I dislike the fret and nut work on 90% of the ones I pickup. They also feel mass produeced
ESP = Japan. These are even better than modern MIJ Jackson. I can sum it up as flawless.
ESP Custom = Japan. They will do ANYTHING you want. Never tried one, but I've never heard complaints
Jackson RR24 = Japan. Really high quality, but one downside is the black binding and Korean Floyd
Jackson RR1 = USA. As good as the ESPs, but not quite as consistent
Jackson Custom = Pricey, but they are great guitars when they are done right. You could run into Artist-Similar issues though if you try to order an Alexi. Quality as of late has been scattershot.

If you have $4000+ to fork out, I would go ESP Custom. IF you don't, I would go with the 24. The RR1 doesn't really compare with the Alexi imo. They are only vaguely similar in shape. One thing to keep in mind is you may want to try and spend a little more if possible for a Japan-market Alexi, as they have the proper RR shape.
Quote by CJRocker

Jackson RR24 = Japan. Really high quality, but one downside is the black binding and Korean Floyd

oh wow i didn't know the RR24 had a korean floyd. That sucks
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
Quote by Duvmunch
oh wow i didn't know the RR24 had a korean floyd. That sucks

People have said they feel and look the same. time will tell about the QC. Since they are made of the same materials, they will probably be fine. Just expect a cheaper finish.
Quote by Ghold125
Well one is made in the usa, and on in japan. Thats a hard one...really. But umm, i might go with the alexi because it has the cutaway to get better fret access

WRONG! The body of the alexi starts earlier which is why you need the cutaway. The body on the Jackson starts later which is why it doesn't need that stupid cutaway. Also Jackson makes better necks than esp and the guitars are higher quality
Quote by MetalMilitia212
You're thinking of running a $4000 guitar with an EMG through a Marshall Valvestate?

GTFO.

I'm going to save for a Single Rectifier after getting the guitar actually. I don't have an infinate supply of money and don't want to waste it on a guitar that's not going to last.

To everyone else: Does the ESP Signature Alexi have the same neck shape as the LTD Alexi models?
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
Alright, this thread is horribly riddled with personal bias, misconceptions, and inaccuracies. People need to stop running their mouths off when they clearly haven't played both guitars, and are therefor unable to compare.

They're both very good guitars, and quite similar. They're both made from the same types of wood (Maple neck, alder wings, ebony fretboard), are neck-thru in construction, have 24 frets, and a single bridge pickup.

The ESP LTD is closer in quality (and price) to the Jackson RR24. However, the USA ESP Alexi is more expensive, and higher in quality due to the fact that it's an ESP and not an LTD. Jackson does indeed make great guitars, but the RR24 is a fairly standard quality guitar.

The differences lie in the fact that the USA Alexi's have a slightly different shape than the Jackson RR's, due to the copyright Jackson has on the shape in the States. They have different FR systems, where ESP has the advantage of an OFR. The RR24 has the EMG 81 while the Alexi has the Blackout, and that's a matter of personal preference.

Honestly, though, if you're in Australia, there's no reason not to get the real ESP Alexi as opposed to the one from the States. It'll have the actual RR shape, and will be better made. Especially if it's a custom shop (the Standard series is quite amazing as well).

Having played Several Jackson RR's of varying models, both made in and out of America, and even custom-shop guitars, I have a good idea of how they compare to ESP. They are both great, and you can't go wrong. I personally prefer ESP in nearly all aspects.

If you don't necessarily want an Alexi signature, ESP also has the SV, which I personally own. It's easily one of the best guitars I've ever played. They consistently are made on a level of quality on par with most custom shop guitars. Ask anyone who has played them.

Cost is certainly a factor though, too. I highly suggest Edwards. They are better made than LTD, and often on par with a real ESP, while maintaining a much lower price.

I would rank them in this order, from lowest to highest...

USA LTD Alexi
Jackson RR24 (by a close margin)
USA ESP Alexi // Edwards Alexi / RV
Jackson Custom Shop
ESP SV / (Standard) Alexi
ESP Custom Shop Alexi (and in general)
Last edited by Delanoir at Aug 13, 2008,
Quote by ironman1478
WRONG! The body of the alexi starts earlier which is why you need the cutaway. The body on the Jackson starts later which is why it doesn't need that stupid cutaway. Also Jackson makes better necks than esp and the guitars are higher quality

lol, jackson bias much?

If I were you I'd go with the RR24. It's cheaper and I think the guitars will be relatively close in quality. Just try both out first (if you can) to get a feel for them.
Quote by lylewithans182
lol, jackson bias much?

If I were you I'd go with the RR24. It's cheaper and I think the guitars will be relatively close in quality. Just try both out first (if you can) to get a feel for them.

Yeah i'm trying to find a place that'll let me do a comparison but not many places even have ONE of the two in stock.

damn australia
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
Quote by Delanoir
Alright, this thread is horribly riddled with personal bias, misconceptions, and inaccuracies. People need to stop running their mouths off when they clearly haven't played both guitars, and are therefor unable to compare.

They're both very good guitars, and quite similar. They're both made from the same types of wood (Maple neck, alder wings, ebony fretboard), are neck-thru in construction, have 24 frets, and a single bridge pickup.

The ESP LTD is closer in quality (and price) to the Jackson RR24. However, the USA ESP Alexi is more expensive, and higher in quality due to the fact that it's an ESP and not an LTD. Jackson does indeed make great guitars, but the RR24 is a fairly standard quality guitar.

The differences lie in the fact that the USA Alexi's have a slightly different shape than the Jackson RR's, due to the copyright Jackson has on the shape in the States. They have different FR systems, where ESP has the advantage of an OFR. The RR24 has the EMG 81 while the Alexi has the Blackout, and that's a matter of personal preference.

Honestly, though, if you're in Australia, there's no reason not to get the real ESP Alexi as opposed to the one from the States. It'll have the actual RR shape, and will be better made. Especially if it's a custom shop (the Standard series is quite amazing as well).

Having played Several Jackson RR's of varying models, both made in and out of America, and even custom-shop guitars, I have a good idea of how they compare to ESP. They are both great, and you can't go wrong. I personally prefer ESP in nearly all aspects.

If you don't necessarily want an Alexi signature, ESP also has the SV, which I personally own. It's easily one of the best guitars I've ever played. They consistently are made on a level of quality on par with most custom shop guitars. Ask anyone who has played them.

Cost is certainly a factor though, too. I highly suggest Edwards. They are better made than LTD, and often on par with a real ESP, while maintaining a much lower price.

USA LTD Alexi
Jackson Custom Shop
You forgot about USA Standard Jacksons, Which I would put above the Edwards and USA ESP.

I would put the Jackson Custom Shop above the Standard ESP's
Quote by FRDesign
You forgot about USA Standard Jacksons, Which I would put above the Edwards and USA ESP.

I would put the Jackson Custom Shop above the Standard ESP's

I would agree with you on the first point, but I excluded them because it was only the RR24 in question here. Otherwise, yes. I would put them above USA LTD, and probably Edwards.

And Jackson Custom Shop would definitely be above most Standard ESP's, but I personally have met with a few exceptions. One being the SV (which is why I specified). However, it would be more fair of me to put the CS Jacksons on at least equal standing, and not below.
Quote by Delanoir

USA LTD Alexi
Jackson Custom Shop

I am very much inclined to agree with Delanoir.

In terms of shape, if you take the RR and put it next to the USA Alexi, you will find that the USA Alexi has a larger lower horn, which IMO makes it look bulkier and closer to a flying V as compared to a RR.

If you are not too concerned about the brand go with Edwards, in terms of specs, they are next to identical to the ESP. At the most, the wood might be of slightly different grades, but beyond that, the specs are next to identical. Plus they sound pretty much the same. Only difference is the branding.

Take a look here. I'm positively certain that you can contact the authorised distributor of ESP in Australia for them to bring in an Edwards for you... I did that in Singapore.

I have the Edwards version of the Pink Sawtooth and the White Scythe.

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/alexi_laiho/index.html

I agree that the cost of a ESP Alexi Laiho is prohibitive. To illustrate, the distributor was selling the ESP Pink Sawtooth at S$4,800 and the Edwards Pink Sawtooth and S$1,800. The ESP White Scythe was going for S$3,000, compare that to the Edwards White Scythe which was going for S$1,500.

At the end of the day, the audience can't read the words on your headstock, and if they aren't guitarist, they probably can't tell the difference either. Sonically, I find that compared to the ESP versions of my guitar, the tonal difference was minimal if at all. However, take note that I found the ESP much better setup, although that could have been due to the change in weather conditions going from Japan to Singapore.

However, the Jacksons RR I have tried were immensely lighter than either of my Edwards, so that may be something you would like to consider. Plus the neck profile was inhumanly thin, while the action unbelieve-ably low. Buuut I still prefered my Edwards.

Consider the Edwards and throw the USA Alexi out the window, I have tried them and they aren't worth considering, unless you like the active pickups that come standard.
I find the Alexi easier to play sitting down, due to the longer bottom horn. Are you talking about an ESP or LTD? I realized alot of people on here say ESP when they're talking about LTD's.
@ ts: the link you posted with the prices: watch out! The ESP alexi seems to have a crappy EMG HZ pickup, while it should be a SD blackout. Something seems odd there.
Also: i'd take a Jackson USA above an ESP any day. ESP have a cheap and synthetic feel, that make their guitars feel inferior to Jackson USA's. It feels like toys. And, if im not mistaken, all ESP's are built in the custom shop. So custom shop or not, the built quality should be the same.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
So custom shop or not, the built quality should be the same.

Epic Phail.
Page 1 of 3