ok, I get it that modes are only used in certain cases where a chord vamp implies a modes and all, but how do you come up with a vamp that implies a certain mode?

A while back I was writing something pretty heavy in D minor, and then wanted to drop into a slow strummed little vamp between Gm and Am.

so would this imply G dorian or A phrygian? or is that even modal?

and what kind of vamp or progression defines each mode?

how do you make a modal progression or vamp?
well, before I went into the vamp it's just a fairly heavy and fast main riff in Dm, and another simpler riff using D F and A

edit:

main riff is pretty much this and variations of it
|------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------7---|
|0-------0---------------------------------------|----------------------------------------6-------|
|0-------0-----------0---0---0-------------------|------------------------------------5-----------|
|0-------0---3b--0---0---0---0---6p0h5p0h3p0h2p0-|0-------0---3b--0---0---0---0--/6---------------|

and then the verse type riff was
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------0-------------------0-----------------------------------|
|----0-------------------0---------------7-----------------------|
|0-----------0---3b--0-----------0---3---7-----------------------|

and then i did above in power chord form as well

doubledit: that's in Drop D
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Aug 12, 2008,
To me, it isn't modal because it sounds more like a iv v than a i ii like it would be if G were the tonal center. Obviously something like Gm C would be very Dorian whereas Am Bb would suggest Phrygian. That vamp, just consider it within the key of Dm.
ok, I'll try those out to see if I like em, and to see if it gives me a better feel of the modes

edit: wow, I like both of those! so how do you come up with vamps like that that suggest a mode? what would be some good vamps for say lydian or locrian?

I see how the dorian one you gave me was a i IV and the phrygian was a i II and it sounded more like G and the A were the tonal center in each one, but how do you come up with something like that?
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Aug 13, 2008,