Hey, ive just started recording some guitar tracks, but i dont have enough bass
coming from my recordings.

Im using a macbook with logic 8, connected to a presonus inspire, and
im using a shure sm57 right up the grill of my marshall 1960a cab, and the settings
on my amps, 5150, jsx and trilogy are fine, and have plenty of bass, yet the mic isnt getting it

And yes ive messed with the eq in logic but i still think i need the bass from the amp, if that
makes sense.

So is it just the way i am micing the amp? i have it on the top left speaker, facing
straight towards the cone.

Thanks for the help.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Jackson DXMG
ENGL Fireball E635 100
Peavey JSX
Orange 4x12
G-Major
BBE Green Screamer
the closer the mic is to the cone, the less bass there will be, so try moving it away a little bit
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Nope. Opposite. Proximity effect says that the closer to the sound source you are, the more bass will be picked up.

I'd say, don't sweat it... yet. Guitars often sound thinner in a mix than they do live, but once you put them in the mix, the bottom end is taken up by the kick drum and the bass guitar, so it all fills out nicely.

If you have too much bass in your guitar tracks, your bottom end gets all mushy with the guitars, the bass, and the kick all battling for sonic space.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Just to elaborate....

The SM57 and the SM58 use the same capsule, but the housings are different. The SM58 has a windscreen, which keeps the sound source a little further away from the diaphragm of the mic, whereas the 57, you can get within millimeters of the diaphragm.

This is one of the reasons why the 57 is chosen over the 58 for a lot of sources... it is more capable of responding to the proximity effect (often, but not always desirable) than the 58 is.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
How exactly is the mic positioned though? Angles are crucial when miking with dynamics, make sure the mic is perfectly horizontal and pointed directly at the source. I completely agree with everything axemanchris said, you're already using prox. effect to your advantage.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
The closer to the center (dust cap) of the speaker the less bass will be picked up. The farther off center you move toward the outside of the speaker the more bass you'll get. Always keep the mic within an inch of the grille.

This video explains it all very well:
http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Ok, thanks for all the replies.
Il give it a try tomorrow when i record and tell you how it goes.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Jackson DXMG
ENGL Fireball E635 100
Peavey JSX
Orange 4x12
G-Major
BBE Green Screamer