You guys may know me as the owner of the blue jazz in the Sexiest Bass thread. So yeah, I have a problem. About a year ago, when I just had my squier and knew nothing about amps, I bought a Behringer. At first I thought it was alright and I noticed an increase in volume from my Fender 15 watt, but that's just it;an increase in volume. Tone wise, I could get a better tone out of my Fender, even thought it had an eight inch speaker and it was only 15 watts. My problem is I can get as "meh" tone out of the behringer and I have to wait until Christmas for my Ashdown full stack, so I was looking at the Boss GEB-7 Equalizer to be a temporary solution until I get my Ashdown.(I'd probably still use it then). I don't have a clue how to use a pedal though. I guess it goes like this: Jazz Bass-->eq pedal-->Behringer with flat EQ. Is that right?(If not please tell me how to do it right) Oh yeah, what's you guys' opinions and experiences with the Boss GEB-7 ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
The behringer doesn't have to be flat, but yeah that's generally how it works. If the Behringer has an effects loop, try plugging it into that. Then you'll have your best EQ at the end, which has the most effect on your sound. If that's the case you go bass-->amp and then effects out--->pedal--->effects in, on a separate line.

Make sure you actually want the Boss. To be clear, it's not going to make you're behringer sound a whole lot better. It's always good to have an EQ pedal around though, so I'd go for it. Just make sure to "manage your expectations" about how good this is going to make you're behringer sound.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The behringer doesn't have to be flat, but yeah that's generally how it works. If the Behringer has an effects loop, try plugging it into that. Then you'll have your best EQ at the end, which has the most effect on your sound. If that's the case you go bass-->amp and then effects out--->pedal--->effects in, on a separate line.

Make sure you actually want the Boss. To be clear, it's not going to make you're behringer sound a whole lot better. It's always good to have an EQ pedal around though, so I'd go for it. Just make sure to "manage your expectations" about how good this is going to make you're behringer sound.
Yes, I just checked and my amp has an an effects loop and I'll be sure to manage my expectations. Thanks for the response.

EDIT: My guitarist buddy has like 6 pedals and I noticed that he has alot more cables than just one, so how many cables would I need to purchase to make my plan work? I'm sorry if I come across as clueless, but I know little about pedals and/or pedalboards.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Aug 12, 2008,
You'll need three cables total if you fully connect the pedal in the loop

bass --(1)--> amp in; effects out/send --(2)-->pedal--(3)-->effects in/return.

You might be able to both use one less cable and bypass the behringer's preamp altogether by just going:
bass--(1)-->pedal--(2)-->effects in/return

but some amps won't produce any signal if they recieve a signal in the effects return, but have nothing plugged in on the input or effects send, so you should try that out first with one of your buddy's guitar pedals to see if it is possible at all.
Quote by TormentedRx
No EQ pedal in the world will save a Behringer.

This.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I think it would help, a bit, nothing massive, but I think it would definitely be an improvement. Besides and EQ pedal is a worthy investment and is someting that you will continue to use when you get your Ashdown.
My EQ pedal saved my life...Well, maybe only my ears but I would definitly go with the EQ pedal. You'll be amazed at how much better your tone will sound.
Starting bass or just looking for a new one? Here's a suggestion: Go to your local music store and try some out.