Hello. I apologize in advance for any newbie questions. I began learning guitar earlier this year. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus and a Line 6 Spyder 3 Amp. I don't have any additional pedals or anything yet. Now I understand that this is not the best gear, but when I purchased the amp I was told that is was a big step above a practice amp and had a ton of features that I could use as I learned. I mainly use the clean and the metal settings. The amp is very inconsistant. When switching between clean and metal, there is a huge volume change. I have to crank it up to hear the guitar on clean, then it nearly blows my ears out when I simply switch to the metal setting. The distortion sound is also very inconsistant. Sometimes it sounds good, other times not. It doesnt matter if I play with the drive or other knobs. The amp aso seems to turn on fuctions by itself as I switch modesd or just turn it on and off such as the tremolo or chorus/flanger. The instructions that came with it are a joke. Who designs an amp where you have to "hold this button while turning that knob to enable this or that"? How hard would it be to just have included buttons for distortion bost and noise gate? I tried the master reset as well and it made no difference. This is getting very frustrating because I am spending more time messing with the amp then practicing. All I want to be able to do is play a song that requires a clean sound on some parts, and then switch to a distortion or metal sound and back. Either the amp is junk, broken, or I just don't know what I am doing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
erm i tihnk its...you who doesnt know how to use the presets

but the amp does lack....in many ways
tone being the biggest one
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
the trick with the volume jump is the volume each channel is set at. set the channel to the volume you want then hold the button to make it the preset for that channel.
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
The volume jump is because the different channels are preset, volume included, so all you have to do is turn the tone volume to the desired level, and hold the channel button for the channel you're on until it flashes to save the volume.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
first of all you spelled SPIDER wrong
and i use a spider sometimes and its fine
your just a sissy when it comes to tweaking
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Lets all jump on the line 6 spider hating bandwagon!

I have a line 6 spider 2 30 watt, ive had it for years now.

It does get confusing but it takes a while to get used to the pre-sets.
Basically, there are 4 channels, clean,crunch,metal and insane.

the clean channel comes with echo on, to take it off completely everytime, switch the 2nd effects knob all the way to the left, where the orange light turns off, now, hold on the clean preset button for 5 seconds, then itll blink rapidly and then you have set it to normal clean, you can do this with any channel, when it sounds right, hold the channel preset button (either insane, metal,crunch or clean) and wait for it to blink rapidly, and you have a set tone even when you switch from channel to channel.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by MattAnderson111
Lets all jump on the line 6 spider hating bandwagon!

I have a line 6 spider 2 30 watt, ive had it for years now.

It does get confusing but it takes a while to get used to the pre-sets.
Basically, there are 4 channels, clean,crunch,metal and insane.

the clean channel comes with echo on, to take it off completely everytime, switch the 2nd effects knob all the way to the left, where the orange light turns off, now, hold on the clean preset button for 5 seconds, then itll blink rapidly and then you have set it to normal clean, you can do this with any channel, when it sounds right, hold the channel preset button (either insane, metal,crunch or clean) and wait for it to blink rapidly, and you have a set tone even when you switch from channel to channel.

but he is talkin about a spider 3 which is much better
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
well spiders in general pretty much suck tone-wise.

if there were a decent tube amp that had the same kind of attributes as a spider...then people would buy it
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Give me a break. I am new to this and am trying to learn. I didn't realize that you could adjust the volume for each channel individuals. To those that gave some legitimate advice, thanks.
like everyone else said
you need to set your crap and save it then when you switch there wont be any changes in volume. and you just need to spend time with it and get use to it. you cant just sit down and expect it to adjust to you.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
well i think everyone assumed you read the manual (assuming there was one)
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by minixmin
well spiders in general pretty much suck tone-wise.

if there were a decent tube amp that had the same kind of attributes as a spider...then people would buy it

... There is, it's called a spider valve...
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by Shirate
... There is, it's called a spider valve...

nothing special. ive tried it and i could some useable tones although they are very loud
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
I did read the entire instruction manual. I felt it was very unclear. I see the channel volume. I was just not aware that you could set the volume for each channel individually. Obviously I don't expect it to just set itself. This is why I asked.
Quote by minixmin
nothing special. ive tried it and i could some useable tones although they are very loud

well, you said decent tube amp with spider characteristics would have more people buy it, then you come back and say that the amp that's exactly what you suggested is weak.

The Spider valve is just that: a boutique designed tube power amp, with spider toneshaping.

And lots of people buy into it, and buy the spider valve.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
still spiders have horrible reputation among most guitarists
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Yeah like others have said, adjust the presets to set the volume of each channel. Also if the amp is doing other things like turning on features randomly etc (ie something that is obviously a defect, not just a settings issue) take it back to where you bought it.

Good luck dude
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Again I know it is by no means the best amp. I just started playing guitar at the end of April. Previously I only played for a few months about 10 years ago. This time I decided to stick with it. I was originally going to purchase an Epiphone Les Paul package that came with a practice amp. The package was backordered, so I purchased everything seperately. I decided to go with a slightly better amp than the package came with. At the time I thought I was making a good choice. I can only imagine how bad the sub $100 practice amp that was part of the package would have been. The sales rep at Guitar Center seemed to want to push the Line 6 amp and I bought into it. He could have easily pushed a more expensive amp on me as I didn't even know what I wanted. All I want to be able to do right now is learn some of my favorite songs. I am sure in the future I will upgrade my equipment. Currently I am trying to learn "Breath" by Breaking Benjamin, which requires both a clean and distortion sound. This is all I want my equipment to be able to do and I'll be happy for the time being. Its just hard to learn a song when I am spending more time getting frustrated with the amp settings then actually playing.
The best advice is not to use the presets. Turn all knobs to the lowest positions and dial in a tone you like, then save it. Out of the box you can save four custom tones.
I was able to figure out how to adjust the volume for each channel. Basically I over-wrote most of the fatory pre-sets. Thanks to those that helps. It sounds much better now.