How do I get a good Randy Rhoads or GN"R tone out of my rig? I don't want to go buy something because I'm broke. My gear is in my Sig. TY!
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Marshall Plexi

o nvm, you dont want to buy anything. Well, what marshall half stack do you have?
also take a look at the ultimate settings thread
I'm betting 30:1 it's a MG/valvestate
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
/\

duh, especially considering the two distortion pedals listed in the sig. i'd say get a new amp if it's an MG; you're not gunna get teh same feel as any of their sounds with an MG. Maybe go for a JCM 800.
Quote by kool98769
I'm betting 30:1 it's a MG/valvestate
Your Probablt right, if the guy has a tube Marshall, I'm sure he knows what kind it is, and wouldnt just put Marshall Half stack.
If anybody had bothered to click his name, you'd see it's a Valvestate. Which means NEW amp!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
If anybody had bothered to click his name, you'd see it's a Valvestate. Which means NEW amp!

Yes, it is a valvestate. But I also have recently acquired an Epi VJ.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Hmm, if you want a RR sound, try turning on the distortion channel of your amp, and turn on the guvnor, set modestly. RR used a distortion pedal on top of his cranked, distorted amp already.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Hmm, if you want a RR sound, try turning on the distortion channel of your amp, and turn on the guvnor, set modestly. RR used a distortion pedal on top of his cranked, distorted amp already.

it wasnt really a distortion pedal.
The dist+ is almost the exact same as the DOD250 overdrive. It really isnt a ton of gain.
Keep in mind the dist+ of today isn't close to the old dist+
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Also the Dist+ was only used to boost the sound, he used very little distortion from it.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Also the Dist+ was only used to boost the sound, he used very little distortion from it.

Didn't he have his Plexi modded so that it had more gain on tap, and he just cranked it, instead of boosting with a pedal?
yeah but he used the Dist+ to boost it a little more and give it more of that edgy sound that OD's give you
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
as far as the GNR sound, just use the guv'nor pedal on the clean channel.

either sound is best acquired w/ tube OD, so i recommend cranking your epi valve jr. and boosting it w/ an OD and adjust the gain accordingly, and you should get somewhat close, but no cigar. it'll be much better than using the MG/valvestate so forget my first suggestion completely, you want to sound as good as possible haha.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by AdamDK
Didn't he have his Plexi modded so that it had more gain on tap, and he just cranked it, instead of boosting with a pedal?

Yeah he cascaded the preamp. Which is a very simple mod.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by AdamDK

it was actually just custom made like that.
But it was for more amp distortion. Much different from pedal distortion. But yeah, i dont know how much gain RR ran on his dist+, but even just having it on with a slight signal boost colors your tone a bit. I'm betting that he probably just liked the sound it gave him, so he kept it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
it wasnt really a distortion pedal.
The dist+ is almost the exact same as the DOD250 overdrive. It really isnt a ton of gain.
Keep in mind the dist+ of today isn't close to the old dist+

finally jesus christ I have so many agruments about this bull****, Im glad to see theres someone else that realizes the old dist+ randy used was nothing more than a od pedal.......
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Quote by JaredFace
finally jesus christ I have so many agruments about this bull****, Im glad to see theres someone else that realizes the old dist+ randy used was nothing more than a od pedal.......

word.
I was never sure why dunlop called it the dist+. Maybe because it had more distortion than other overdrive at the time?
I'm not sure.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
it was actually just custom made like that.

Oh yeah, I just checked that out, it was a custom Plexi that he made with Marshall, hence the gain boost, white tolex, etc.
^Actually it wasn't custom. It was just a regular metalface one he had re-tolexed in white and got a cascade mod. You could do this yourself for about $100 max.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band