I mean seriously, I have been playing for 6 years (self taught) never played any other guitars except my starter one.

I recently bought an Ibanez S320 with ZR tremolo.
Now I have really no idea how tremolos work or anything, I have read countless guides etc but they seem to talk about it in great detail while ignoring the basics.

- My guitar HAS been set up, in drop C, at the store
- It stayed in tune for a couple of weeks but has gone slightly out.
I had no idea how to tune it, but decided to risk it and unscrew the 3 clamps at the top of the neck, tune the strings and then tighten the 3 clamps back to (hopefully) the right amount of pressure. This kind of worked but tightening the clamps back on puts it out of tune a bit.
- I have noticed it is really hard to bend notes, is it because of something I have done?
- How do I use the fine tuners, and more importantly where are they?

-By unscrewing the 3 clamps at the top of the neck (next to 1st fret) have I thrown out my intonation or trem setup or something like that?

Sorry, even though this question sounds retarded to be coming from a guitarist of 6 years, I really can't find a basic guide on how to do it that doesn't sound like "Loosen the locking arm nut (a) and reconfigure the flux capacitor located behind the ball bearing locking string tension spring"...etc
I have searched the forums and google, finding only guides on the pros and cons of each trem system.

Thanks
FR guide at the top of the forum?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
FR guide at the top of the forum?

Aaaand another guide telling me what to do, without explaining how to.

And there's still the question of whether unscrewing the 3 clamps has any negative effects

Edit: for example:

Step 1: Loosen the locking nut.

WHERE IS THE LOCKING NUT ITS NOT EVEN LABELLED ON THE PICS
haha flux capacitor.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
To tune a guitar with an FR you need to tune shraper or flater to how you think the guitar will be.
eg. You want drop C youll have to tune sharper so that it detunes its self to Drop C,

i heard that from a friend so that might not be factual
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
locking nut=the clamps at the head.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If you can't tune by ear, buy a tuner. Get one at your local music store. To tune it, you just tune the pegs (the 6 things on the head of the guitar) to the right tone. Most tuners have a light that will let you know if you're high or low or which way you need to go. Find out what tuning you want, and tune each string to the corresponding note.

Hope that helped a little. If not, go into the local music shop and ask them. I'm sure they'd be more than glad to help. They shouldn't make you feel embarrased or anything.

Best of luck.
all you have to do is tune it very slightly too low, lock it in with the clamps (lock nuts) and then get it in tune using the fine tuners. theyre at the back of the bridge. you have to turn them (usually clockwise) and this will tighten the strings causing the pitch to go up, hence the prior tuning slightly too low. its a little confusing i know but i hope this helps
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
Quote by NimbleElephant
If you can't tune by ear, buy a tuner. Get one at your local music store. To tune it, you just tune the pegs (the 6 things on the head of the guitar) to the right tone. Most tuners have a light that will let you know if you're high or low or which way you need to go. Find out what tuning you want, and tune each string to the corresponding note.

Hope that helped a little. If not, go into the local music shop and ask them. I'm sure they'd be more than glad to help. They shouldn't make you feel embarrased or anything.

Best of luck.

actually read the thread.... STOOPID!
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
You probably have fine tuners since you have a tremolo so look at the bridge and tune with the small knobs at the bridge.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
I'm no expert but i think i know what you need... but the locking nut is the three screws at the top you tune it regular once you unclamp it... then you clamp them back... that shouldn't mess with your inotaion(SP) but i'm not the pro.... then the fine tuners should be like pegs on your bridge... i'm not sure how you tune that... i hope i helped you
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Quote by funkbass369
actually read the thread.... STOOPID!

Yeah, I went back and looked through and noticed what I did. I was hoping noone would notice my post, haha. Sorry about that guys.
Quote by Bassmastajazzyj
To tune a guitar with an FR you need to tune shraper or flater to how you think the guitar will be.
eg. You want drop C youll have to tune sharper so that it detunes its self to Drop C,

i heard that from a friend so that might not be factual

i'ts smart but it's not the proper way...
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Thanks, mostly to 6_feet and shampooboy.

Does the direction the string clamps face make a difference?

[|]---------
[|]---------
[|]---------

or

[-]-----------
[-]-----------
[-]-----------3 string guitars ftw
Quote by Platinumcs
Thanks, mostly to 6_feet and shampooboy.

Does the direction the string clamps face make a difference?

[|]---------
[|]---------
[|]---------

or

[-]-----------
[-]-----------
[-]-----------3 string guitars ftw

i'd look at a picture of a guitar with a simmilar nut to yours and then i'd try and match it...
Wait...you haven't changed your strings in 6 years? You haven't properly tuned your guitar in six years? Do you play once every year? I don't know what to say... it's not rocket science. There are 3 locking screws on the end of the fretboard near the neck, loosen them and tune away.
Quote by Metallica rulz
Wait...you haven't changed your strings in 6 years? You haven't properly tuned your guitar in six years? Do you play once every year? I don't know what to say... it's not rocket science. There are 3 locking screws on the end of the fretboard near the neck, loosen them and tune away.

so apparently you can't read well... cause he said he got a new guitar and and when you tighten the nuts again it detunes them..... moron...
Last edited by shampooboy37 at Aug 13, 2008,