I have a Squier strat... HA HA HO HO HEE HEE ok were done laughing.... but i want to add a 24 fret neck to it and i know that the neck pick up is in the way of it but i'm wondering how hard it is to actually add one?
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
well provided it's on a 25.5" scale you'll be fine. I think it just takes a longer F/B. Also, you'll need to make the cutaways deeper.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
but how hard is it to move the neck pick up?
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
any help?
Well, you would need to make a custom pick-guard, since moving the neck pickup backwards couldn't be done on a standard guard without leaving a gaping hole where the pickup used to be. If you wanted a ghetto looking guitar you could just leave it like that . Also, you might be looking at routing some of the wood out of the way, depending on what kind of space you have left in the pickup cavity behind the neck single coil.
cool beans... so where could i get a custom pick guard for something like this? or would i have to get a sheet and cut it out?
I think warmoth may be able tp halp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You can buy pickgaurd material from alot of places: you could get it from Warmoth, Stew Mac, Lmii, etc. etc. You can snag a sheet of a plain color, such as black, cream, or white, for about $13. ORRRR you could be crazy innovative and find something around the house to make it from, like a plastic bin, tupperware thingy, plastic covers, trays, boxes, or whatever. That would be pretty cool, especially if it had a funky design in it. Plus it would be free!
that's a great idea..
Quote by lumberjack

you could be crazy innovative and find something around the house to make it from, like a plastic bin, tupperware thingy, plastic covers, trays, boxes, or whatever. That would be pretty cool, especially if it had a funky design in it. Plus it would be free!

i would choose carefully if I were you - A bin might be curved, Tupperware's probably too thin and Flexable, etc. although one of those big storage box things might be good If you used one of the sides.

I'm planning to make a scratchplate out of Plywood and finish it natural. I made one out of perspex and it looked immense till I stood on the lead. I glued all the bits back together so I could still use the guitar - but it's not the same without being able to see all the Electronics etc for glued cracks
I plan to put a washer on either side of the jack if I re-build it...
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Thats too bad. I always thought making a clear one and replacing all of the wiring with just one color would look pretty cool. Or maybe even paint the guts all one color that contrasts with the control cavity, then put them on a clear cover.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music