Kind of a simple question... What exactly is a double-stop? I keep hearing about it but never got a clear explanation of what it is... I've heard that Eddie Van Halen uses them quite a bit...
as far as I know it's when you play notes together on adjecent strings

example; the 7's

e-- - - - - - - - -
b--7-7-7-7- - 7
g--7-7-7-7- - 7
d-- - - - - - 9- -
Quote by VanMaidenFan88
Kind of a simple question... What exactly is a double-stop? I keep hearing about it but never got a clear explanation of what it is... I've heard that Eddie Van Halen uses them quite a bit...

just so you can get an idea of what it sounds like, the intro (and main riff) of the song "5150" is full of em
Quote by .arkness:.
I see my guitar as a chick because I'd be damned if i were ever holding / fingering a guy for hours a day.

...yeeup
Wow... Idk why something so simple has a complicated name... Makes it sound like some tough technique lol...
Quote by VanMaidenFan88
Wow... Idk why something so simple has a complicated name... Makes it sound like some tough technique lol...

Like "arpeggio". :P
GAS list-o-rama
Orange Tiny Terror Head ($549)
Epiphone VJ Cab ($129)
Seymour Duncan SHPG1/SH-11 set ($95 + $79)
Gaskell Classic (~$680)
Black Gibson SG Standard ($1499)
I heard you can't do that with a floyd rose, or similar tremolo systems. Is that true?
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
A double stop is simply two notes played at the same time.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Lordbob
I heard you can't do that with a floyd rose, or similar tremolo systems. Is that true?

Wut... of course not.

EDIT: Oooh I think I get you know, if you're playing a double stop in which you keep one note the same but bend the other it might throw the string you're not bending out of tune.
Last edited by UncleCthulhu at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by funnyman3290
when you pley 2 notes @ d same time, EVERY1 knows this!

Lawl, you sounded stupid just then, But yeah, 2 notes at once.
Quote by Sound Mind
two notes played at once, a chord is technically three notes or more.

I know its a common misconception due to the fact that it's likely there is no third is being expressed, but the definition of a chord is two or more notes played together.

The power chord being the most common. So effectively a power chord is a double stop.
Last edited by mdc at Aug 14, 2008,