Hey guys, I'm redoing the body of a Squire Strat for the first time and I've come to the conclusion the best way to get a cheap "chrome" finish is aluminum foil with a gloss finish over it.

Now my question is: Is this a terrible idea? I know that the pickguard/electronics are shielded with the foil. Would that interfere? And then what do I spray over the foil to finish it so the foil is locked in?

Thanks.
Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
How will you get it to lie flat with no wrinkles? Hard to do over the contours of a guitar, no?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
How will you get it to lie flat with no wrinkles? Hard to do over the contours of a guitar, no?

I think I'm going to segment it. Wrinkles won't bother me too much though.
I have researched the hell outta this, and this is honestly the best chrome kit money can buy. I will do my JS1000 in it once i play the hell out of it and the finish starts to wear off. Take a look at a few of the youtube videos and you will be how chrome this really gets.

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercans/kc/killerchrome.htm
Quote by dogismycopilot
I have researched the hell outta this, and this is honestly the best chrome kit money can buy. I will do my JS1000 in it once i play the hell out of it and the finish starts to wear off. Take a look at a few of the youtube videos and you will be how chrome this really gets.

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercans/kc/killerchrome.htm

$115 is a bit pricey....anything cheaper?
Ehh, well here's what i came up with. They sell that in 3 parts right? One is a primer, one is the chrome, and one is the top coat. Now, the base is probably just a primer, but the finish you have on the guitar now is already nice and glassy smooth, so you could probably do without it. the chrome, well you need that. But the top coat to finish it off can be bought anywhere. Just make sure you have the same type, ie, if the "killer chrome" is lacquer, get a lacquer gloss finish from your local hardware store, it might coat at most $10-$15.

That's what i would do. Try it on a piece of scrap or something and investigate what exactly the "primer" really is. Is it the main reason the chrome turns out well? OR are they just up selling a can of primer?
Quote by dogismycopilot
Ehh, well here's what i came up with. They sell that in 3 parts right? One is a primer, one is the chrome, and one is the top coat. Now, the base is probably just a primer, but the finish you have on the guitar now is already nice and glassy smooth, so you could probably do without it. the chrome, well you need that. But the top coat to finish it off can be bought anywhere. Just make sure you have the same type, ie, if the "killer chrome" is lacquer, get a lacquer gloss finish from your local hardware store, it might coat at most $10-$15.

That's what i would do. Try it on a piece of scrap or something and investigate what exactly the "primer" really is. Is it the main reason the chrome turns out well? OR are they just up selling a can of primer?

Thanks, I'll see what I can do, but I've already taken the gloss coat off of the body and its just left with black finish.
Quote by Invader Jim
Careful with the foil: it'll tear like tissue paper. I used 3 layers to sheild my amp (and it worked beautifully!).

Pics?
Quote by Invader Jim
I'd rather not take the head back out, since I prolly tore the foil a bit getting it back in...

Ah, screw it. Pics tomorrow.

Dude, its fine. Thanks though!
use mylar instead. You can buy it at hardware stores. Its what zakk wylde used for his mirror bullseye guitar
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Looking through all the options, I think Mylar looks pretty reasonable right now.