Im asking how i can make metal riffs. like, what tuning do u think i shuld use, and stuff like that. and im not trying to make a super fast riff. i'm just trying to make a catchy riff. like the riff from the song psychosocial by slipknot. (I've been playing guitar for around 10 months, but im new at metal.)
Drop quadruple z and palm mute the lower strings, with your mids scooped, and played through a 100 watt MG for CRUSHING OVERDRIIIIIVE
there are alot of different tunings bro. i'm tuned to D right now, but i used to play in B, and C as well. people use drop tunings too like drop C ect. all i can tell you is palm mute alot, and play on the E and A strings if you want to make heavier sounding riffs. you can throw in pinch harmonics, and other stuff too.

<---- metal.
You're likely gonna want to use minor scales. Try to get alot of palm mutes on the lower strings (e or however you have it tuned) and play around with the minor scale with random palm mutes on the low e.
Quote by FireandFlames
Drop quadruple z and palm mute the lower strings, with your mids scooped, and played through a 100 watt MG for CRUSHING OVERDRIIIIIVE

hahaha
dont listen to a word he said, he is just to busy jerking off with wire cutters to think straight
You can use any tuning really. Metallica used E Standard tuning a lot. I believe some Cannibal Corpse things are in Eb (not certain, but fairly sure). Some bands use D Standard, where every string is tuned a whole step down. There's also drop tunings. Basically, by tuning down you can reach lower notes that you can't get in standard tuning.

Learn some scales, like Natural Minor, Harmonic Minor or Pentatonic Minor and base your riffs an solos around those.

Most rhythm of metal is palm muted power chords. You could also learn pinch harmonics to add some variety to the "chugga chugga" of power chords.
Quote by caskettheclown
hahaha
dont listen to a word he said, he is just to busy jerking off with wire cutters to think straight

I'm sure FireandFlames' post was sarcastic. Also your post made me crack up.

TS the best way is to just play around, knowing your scales help a lot. And listen to music of the genre to be inspired, but don't forget to try out other genres as well, they often help a lot.
well you can write metal riffs in pretty much any normative tuning like e standard or drop d

listen to lots of metal for inspiration

like kill em all

james hetfield inspired most of my imporvised riff

use a pedal note to, normally on the e and a strings