i currently just crank them all the way up and just adjust the sound on my amp. is that going to effect my sound much? if so any suggestions? thanks.
....................................................................................................................................................................................
I do the same thing.
Sometimes i roll off the tone a bit for a smoother sound, but usually i just use my amp
My volume is cranked and my tone is at about an 8 and I keep it on my bridge PU.

Low - 6
Mids - 3-4
High - 5-6
No one ever uses the volume knob (maybe for swells, or just to keep completely quiet)...

I use the pickup selector a lot.

I rarely use the tone knob... (Tone knobs and volume knobs on Schecters are a waste of time)

OH... the push/pull tone pot is a dream, I use that.
I keep my neck pickup about half way, due to the cleaner sound.
That's using a EMG60 btw.
i do the same as you
but i´ve heard that if you have the volume on your guitar at 7 you reduce feedbackonly thing ive hear though
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
I just leave it on 10, 10, and treble for my guitar, and Overdrive with Drive on 11 and Level on 3.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Keep your Volume Knob(on you guitar) at 10 and you get the cleanest sound out of you amp if you lower it, it'll end up sounding bloated when you put Dist. on, but its always good you mess around with the Tone knobs especially when you want an Acoustic sound if you on an LP you can get all sorts of acoustic sounds with combos. of the rhythm(bridge) pickup and different tonal configs.
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top ~ Tranparent Amber

Jay Turser JT57FTM ~ Strat. Replica **First guitar**

*If you would like an Avatar like mine(except with your favorite band) Message me and I'll make one for you *
Well since my Les Paul has kind of a brighter sound to it, I roll back both tone knobs to about 6.5 and 7.5, so I can get a pretty smooth and thick sound, but not have it too thick so I don't lose the bite in my tone.

I usually leave my Volumes at 10, but when I wanna get less distortion or something like that I roll them down.
The volume knob is a great tool. It's used better for cleaning up your sound than actually lowering the volume. For cleans I keep the volume 2-3 with the tone knob about 4-5. Honestly couldn't live without the volume knob though.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by roshjosh
No one ever uses the volume knob (maybe for swells, or just to keep completely quiet)...

I rarely use the tone knob... (Tone knobs and volume knobs on Schecters are a waste of time)

Speak for yourself. Get a nice tube amp and crank the volume on the amp (works great with 5-15watt tube amps so you don't break any windows or lose your hearing), then control the volume with your guitars volume pot. With the right pickup, roll back the volume and the sound cleans up nice or crank it and kick your amp into overdrive/dist. Then you can also go from soft cleans to distorted riffs depending on your pick attack.

Edit:
Checker beat me to it, but glad someone else here understands the importance of it.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
my vol. is at 10 most of the time, as I dont roll back for cleaner sounds...I change my tone either from 1 to 10. my other guitar has no tone =P so oh well.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
My volume knobs always vary. Neck will be anywhere from 6-10 and bridge normally 3-7 no matter what the volume is on my amp. I tend to keep the tone knobs around the 8's.

They are VERY important though, I can get tons of different sounds depending on how I change the knobs.
Quote by roshjosh

People use the volume knob all the time, it's handy for balancing levels in a band situation, or for cleaning up your tone....and it's absolutely vital if you have a single channel amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Neck pickup
Volume: 7-8
Tone: 10

Bridge pickup
Volume: 10
Tone: 7-8
Quote by hXc metal dude
i currently just crank them all the way up and just adjust the sound on my amp. is that going to effect my sound much? if so any suggestions? thanks.

You need to learn to use them to get different sounds without having to go to your amp; they're the best thing in the world for changing your sound without a rack of effects.

Experiment; you might be surprised the kinds of sounds you can get without having to mess with your EQ.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
the volume knob is essential on stage when i need the boost for a solo.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I use it alot for my jag to cut the highs, for my tele not so much, since the original owner stuck in a treble bleed the volume knob doesnt take the top end off so much and clean up like I want. The tone knob ive never really bothered with anyway.
I have an Ernie Ball volume pedal on my board that I use for swell effects...but sometimes I use my volume knob, too.

One of my strats has dual humbuckers in it, each with it's own knob like a Gibson...so it's fun to do the "Randy Rhoads" stuttering thing with the pickup switch (bridge volume at 10, neck volume at 0, then flick the switch back & forth).

I rarely mess with my guitar tone knobs...
I use a single channel Marshall plexi head, so using the guitar's controls are really important for me in terms of shaping my sound. I use it for swells, and most importantly, I use it to go from clean to crunch. A good tube amp with a set of good pickups will clean up by turning down your volume knob.

When you're on stage, going to the amp to change settings mid song is just not convenient. For me, I usually leave both pickups activated (middle position on the les paul), and mix the sound using the two volume controls, if I want more of the bridge pickup, I turn down the neck volume, if I want to hear more of the neck, I turn down the bridge volume. If I want more brightness from either pickup, I can do the same with the tones. I rarely use the neck pickup by itself outside of clean, jazz like tones, and I rarely use the bridge pickup by itself besides when I need a really bright and trebley lead tone.

You can get a wide variety of sounds by never even touching your amp. I can go from clean to crunch all at the turn of my guitar's volume.
Quote by al112987
I use a single channel Marshall plexi head, so using the guitar's controls are really important for me in terms of shaping my sound. I use it for swells, and most importantly, I use it to go from clean to crunch. A good tube amp with a set of good pickups will clean up by turning down your volume knob.

When you're on stage, going to the amp to change settings mid song is just not convenient. For me, I usually leave both pickups activated (middle position on the les paul), and mix the sound using the two volume controls, if I want more of the bridge pickup, I turn down the neck volume, if I want to hear more of the neck, I turn down the bridge volume. If I want more brightness from either pickup, I can do the same with the tones. I rarely use the neck pickup by itself outside of clean, jazz like tones, and I rarely use the bridge pickup by itself besides when I need a really bright and trebley lead tone.

You can get a wide variety of sounds by never even touching your amp. I can go from clean to crunch all at the turn of my guitar's volume.

exactly
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by roshjosh

uh what about cleans... i use my volume for cleans.

i use my tone for extreme bassiness, or to fix a very bright sound.
My volume is usually kept at 10 for distortion, and around 4 or 5 for cleans.

My tone knob is usually at 6 or 7 regardless of what I play.
I'm constantly adjusting the tone knobs on my strat. I don't change the volume very often though. I wish the bridge pickup had a tone knob though.
I'm almost always adjusting my tone knob and pickup toggle to find a good sound for the song I'm making. I don't usually use the vol. knobs though.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by roshjosh

If you have a tube amp or a fuzz pedal, the volume knob on your guitar can drastically change the ammount of gain you get, or if you have to balance the volume of two different players, or you want to change one of your pickups to have more presence then the other without turning one completly off, than than volume knob is very, very useful.
anyway, In my current rig, I can't change the volume much (stupid solid state amp won't pick-up any sound from the guitar after about 7 on the volume control), but i change my tone knobs frequently depending on the sound i want.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Usually, unless I'm trying to clean up my sound, I don't touch my volume knob, but the tone knob on my neck pickup is usually set somewhere in between 5-10.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
i never use the tone knobs anymore now that i know where i like them to be and never move them anyway. got a volume pedal so no need for the volume knob either. i'm toying with the idea of rewiring one of my strats to only have a pickup selector and a killswitch. no knobs whatsoever.