I'm in the market for a new bass right now, I was thinking maybe a 5 string. I mainly play rock with my band and like a fat chunky sound. I was looking at a shecter studio 5, are they any good? They look really nice but the local stores dont have any in. I also could use some suggestions for some other basses, around the $1000 mark is what I got.

This is a lot of questions but are Ashdown MAG 300 heads actually decent, I've been looking at one but I was wondering if there are any problems with them
I almost got an Ashdown, they're pretty alright. I'd say go for it(although Fender just put some really nice new amps out)

As for a bass, look into Carvin. You can get a really nice one for one grand.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
If you can step up your price at all, check out the new Fender American Standard Precision 5-string. If you want beef, you'll get it.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I have the studio 5 and I love it so much I've had a few basses the most recent of them being a fender MIM jazz and this is by far my favorite, great sound and great looks
I'm not really a huge fan of fenders, too much plastic on them for my liking. Im looking for one that also has a bit of versatility though, able to get a nice warm round tone as well

Quote by Bonesaw
I have the studio 5 and I love it so much I've had a few basses the most recent of them being a fender MIM jazz and this is by far my favorite, great sound and great looks

Is the neck really thick or would it be more slender, I dont really know how to judge them because I havent played many different basses, mainly just guitars. If it helps I have a Squier Pbass and I find it kind of chunky
Last edited by Spenny at Aug 13, 2008,
well I would say it is not too thick for a five string, it's kinda wide but I have big hands. so i would still recommend it over the fender