lets say i find a nice backing track i want to try and solo over, how do i know which scale use? my guess would be find out which key it is in and then use that. assuming it is correct, how do i find out which key it is in.
Yes, definitely find the key of the backing track. Is there a constant note or chord progression in the track?
it was hypathetical. i haven't picked one out yet. i found a website with backing tracks that says which key it is in but that is only a temperary solution. i want to find out how to do it still.
If you know the chords its usually the first one but if all the chords root notes come from one of the scales it will be in that key. If you dont know what the chords are i would reccomend either a) figure them out or B) use the most common scales E, A, D for rock and see if they sound good if not try all the other ones till one sounds good. Takes awhile but it works for me.
until you learn to find keys just ask on the forums

but dont always use the minor pent scale cuz if its in a major key it will sound terrible
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
^not with a major pentatonic... well i guess that would be using a relative minor for the minor pentatonic

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Quote by madshatter
lets say i find a nice backing track i want to try and solo over, how do i know which scale use? my guess would be find out which key it is in and then use that. assuming it is correct, how do i find out which key it is in.

use your ear... hunt around on your guitar until you find the notes that sound right