The Jackson or the Schecter for metal? both are 1500 in Australia, both are basically metal guitars... which one would you prefer? does one in particular play well? does one in particular sound better?

Please vote!

Jackson DKMGT (Hardtail) http://www.onlinestagegear.com/brand/Jackson/MG/DKMGT_TBLK.jpg

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5212/hellraiservy5.jpg

Did not post specs because, both are fairly well known and very similar.
schecter has better fret access but the jackson will be way higher quality all round, i can bet it'll last you twice as long.

as for sound it really depends on your amp, they have the same pickups. i think the jackson might be alder i'm not sure but its still a good tonewood like mahogany in schecter which is most proabbaly eastern *fake* mahogany.

japan>korea.
They're both great guitars, but if you play clean stuff you might want to consider coil-tapping as a priority. The new Hellraisers all feature an EMG89 in the neck position (the first active pickup to offer coil-tapping), and the new EMG81TW, and both can be split. Plus the hellraiser has 2 volume knobs so you can turn one off the pickups off and use the pickup selector as a killsitch. In the end it's best to try out both guitars and see which one suits you, considering the neck profile, weight and all that stuff
Quote by metallica92
schecter has better fret access but the jackson will be way higher quality all round.

So the jackson is way better quality? will last way long as well?
Quote by metallica92
schecter has better fret access but the jackson will be way higher quality all round, i can bet it'll last you twice as long.

as for sound it really depends on your amp, they have the same pickups. i think the jackson might be alder i'm not sure but its still a good tonewood like mahogany in schecter which is most proabbaly eastern *fake* mahogany.

japan>korea.

Wrong. It's real mahogany, both are equal quality and will last just as long. All you need to decide is if you like Alder (which is brighter) or Mahogany (which is darker).

EDIT: And it's real mahogany.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by Epic_chef
So the jackson is way better quality? will last way long as well?

Usually a good quality guitar lasts long.
Quote by ManInAClownSuit
Wrong. It's real mahogany, both are equal quality and will last just as long. All you need to decide is if you like Alder (which is brighter) or Mahogany (which is darker).

EDIT: And it's real mahogany.

Dont EMG's hardly carry on any tonal characters of the wood? and mahogany will make the higher notes less shrill right?
Quote by metalgirl0
Usually a good quality guitar lasts long.

well both are $1400 dollar guitars, i was surprised that one was much higher quality... apparently which is not the case
Quote by Epic_chef
Dont EMG's hardly carry on any tonal characters of the wood? and mahogany will make the higher notes less shrill right?

Well the woods still have a role in the tone and sustain too. I'd say 20-30% of your guitar's tone come from wood.
Quote by Epic_chef

Yes, it would make higher notes less shrill. EMGs do have a tendency to sound "sterile" also, but you probably already know that. Also now that I look at the Jackson, the Jackson also has a bolt-on neck, which isn't a bad thing but it's considered as good as the Hellraiser's set neck (which has some of the best fret access ever, btw) and it's Maple as opposed to the Hellraiser's Mahogany/Rosewood.

Personally, I would get the Jackson for a better lead tone and the Hellraiser for a better rhythm tone, but they're both extremely capable guitars.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by Epic_chef
well both are $1400 dollar guitars, i was surprised that one was much higher quality... apparently which is not the case

1400$ ? Where do you live ?

On Musician's Friend the C-1 Hellraiser is 700$ and the DKMGT is 680$. I think the DKMGT is made in Japan, and the C-1 Hellraiser in Korea. Japan-made guitars are better quality than the korean-made ones.
Quote by Epic_chef

I'd consider them to be equal in quality. People just assume Schecters are low quality for some reason, while Jackson is legendary for high quality.

And where do you see them for $1400? They're like half that on GuitarCenter.com.

EDIT: By the way, I love you metalgirl0! Megadeth rules!
Quote by mrvile

Last edited by ManInAClownSuit at Aug 13, 2008,
I was looking for a metal guitar too, and am in australia, played those guitars plus a few others, ended up with an Ibanez RG1570 for $1450, couldnt be happier. They are all awesome, I would definately go and check out an Ibanez RG, felt the best quality of the 3, but upper fret access may be a bit of a problem, cant remember what the others were like. If i had to choose between those two id go the jackson, but probably only cos i havnt spent as much time playing the scheter.

Also, dont relaly like the sound of EMG's, figure theres no point paying an extra $400 for the jackson just cos its got EMG's, would rather buy the ibanez and chuck in some pickups that i like
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by ManInAClownSuit
I'd consider them to be equal in quality. People just assume Schecters are low quality for some reason, while Jackson is legendary for high quality.

And where do you see them for $1400? They're like half that on GuitarCenter.com.

EDIT: By the way, I love you metalgirl0! Megadeth rules!

Quote by metalgirl0
1400$ ? Where do you live ?

On Musician's Friend the C-1 Hellraiser is 700$ and the DKMGT is 680$. I think the DKMGT is made in Japan, and the C-1 Hellraiser in Korea. Japan-made guitars are better quality than the korean-made ones.

Oh come on guys, read the first post. AUSTRALIA!
I'm actually picking up the DKMGT in the next few days. Plays awesome, never got to put it up against the C-1 though because they didn't have any at the stores I went to. To TS, remember the trans paint job is an extra $100AUD. $1500 for trans, $1400 for solid
No, not as in Peavey -.-
Quote by pavey
Oh come on guys, read the first post. AUSTRALIA!
I'm actually picking up the DKMGT in the next few days. Plays awesome, never got to put it up against the C-1 though because they didn't have any at the stores I went to. To TS, remember the trans paint job is an extra $100AUD. $1500 for trans, $1400 for solid

. . . oh right.
Quote by mrvile

Quote by ManInAClownSuit
. . . oh right.

I can only dream of being able to buy a guitar for 700 american. Seriously.

No seriously.
I'd say the jackson would have a faster neck. But as the schecter is mahogony it would have better sustain I'd imagine.

In the end its your choice, their both great ^^
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus