A few months ago, I bought a Digitech Whammy IV as I craved it's pitch-shifting capabilities. However I sold it a week later as I basically thought it was a piece of crap. Even with the treadle all the way back, I found that when I turned it on, it'd still shift whatever I was playing up by a semitone or 2, depending on which setting it was on. This to me was clearly a waste of time. I'm not sure if it was just a fault with my particular pedal, or whether this is common with them all.

Now, a few months on, I really feel I could get a lot of use out of some kind of pitch-shifter. So I've recently been looking into the Boss PS-5.

I was basically just wondering if anyone knows whether this pedal is any good? And quite importantly, with an expression pedal, can it still do similar things to the Digitech Whammy?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, does anyone have a decent expression pedal they can recommend me? Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just has to get the job done. Strength isn't even an issue, as I don't bash my pedals around very much at all.
why didnt you just re-calibrate it?

look at a EHX POG if you want pitch shifted chords, the whammer can only do single notes
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I actually own a Boss PS-5 and it is a cool FX unit. It can do whammy like effects, but it can also shift chords with the pitch shift setting. There are also various other effects like detune and flutter.

You will need an expression pedal to do whammy effects though.
Pitch-shifted chords aren't really my priority. Whilst an EHX POG would be great, to buy that AND an expression pedal would be a bit too expensive.

I was really just wondering if, with an expression pedal, the Boss PS-5 can basically do the same things as a Digitech Whammy.