So, I just bought a Les Paul from a guy, and it came with Seymour Duncan 59's on it. I'm really thinking about putting some APH-1's on, but I just don't have the cash right now. So before I go on a huge money-saving spree, I need to know if the upgrade's worth it, or if I should just leave the 59's on it for now.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
1 - they're not going to make any difference through that amp
2 - arguably the 59's are a better all-round pickup than the Pro IIs anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by kaosxrocker
So, I just bought a Les Paul from a guy, and it came with Seymour Duncan 59's on it. I'm really thinking about putting some APH-1's on, but I just don't have the cash right now. So before I go on a huge money-saving spree, I need to know if the upgrade's worth it, or if I should just leave the 59's on it for now.

Unless you know exactly what the APH-1 sounds like (which you obviously don't because you're making this thread) and you have decided you want that specific tone (if you can call it that, because the APH-1s are very low output and extremely transparent), "upgrading" to the APH-1s is definitely not worth it.

The '59s (in my opinion, of course) are MUCH better pickups than the APH-1s----the only reason why the APH-1s are so popular right now is because new Slash fans who are new to the world of pickups (or gear in general) think they will get Slash's tone from them.

Instead of thinking about "upgrading" to the APH-1s, you should be thinking about popping in a hotter bridge pickup, since the '59--although it can be decent for the bridge--is a little too low output for most people's tastes in the bridge position. Don't even bother doing this, though, until you've played the guitar extensively and determined that this is necessary. I'm just throwing out this advice to suggest one more step that you should consider before ever thinking about shelling out $180+ for Alnico II Pros.

EDIT: And if Slash's tone is what you're after, you need to think about upgrading your amp instead; changing pickups makes only a very slight difference in tone compared to the difference changing your amp will make.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by steven seagull
1 - they're not going to make any difference through that amp
2 - arguably the 59's are a better all-round pickup than the Pro IIs anyway.

...and bested again by steven seagull. You got my point--which took me several paragraphs to convey--across in just two short lines.

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
mkay, thanks, you guys just saved me 200 bucks to put toward that new amp foursticks mentioned
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by kaosxrocker
mkay, thanks, you guys just saved me 200 bucks to put toward that new amp foursticks mentioned

No problem; and just make sure you spend some time in the store trying out each and every amp you're thinking about getting before you start dropping your cash.

Also, you may want to try the search function to look for posts that suggest good amps in your price range.

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by FourSticks17
...and bested again by steven seagull. You got my point--which took me several paragraphs to convey--across in just two short lines.

Sorry...I'll go look at lolcats for a while
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hi everyone! I have a question...

I have an Ibanez sz 520, (about a $ 750 guitar). My amp is a Hughes & Kettner Silver Edition 50W. The guitar has "Ibanez/Duncan" pickups and I'm thinking of change them with something else.... most for fun

First of all, what about tose pickups, compared to Seymour Duncan/ Dimarzio etc? Can't find information about them on the internet

I'm really interested in the SD alnico II aph-1. I'm wondering if it worth it regarding the pickups I already have and my amp etc?...

I love the sound from slash and GnR and I like to play all types of rock/blues and sometims some heavier stuff. If you npt propose the "aph", witch else do you think, at the same price range?