...i searched (but search is rubbish these days), i read the FAQ and suprisingly couldnt find anything.

noob warning:

im just a little confused about active and passive pups.

i went on Gak because i fancied an 'active bass' i went on the 4 string active section, found one that cought my eye and on the spec it says it has passive pickups! but an onboard active EQ

is this still fully active? will it make me sound like flea?

im confused here.

yes, i know...

cheers,

Steve
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
don't know...

but you don't want to sound like flea...

you want to sound like wooten, or myung
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
WHOA

i dont want to start this discussion, i've seen it more than a few times here, it just gets nasty
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
WHOA

i dont want to start this discussion, i've seen it more than a few times here, it just gets nasty

k sorry I am a naughty boy

But have never seen anything like what you described can you pass us a link?

would help
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Active or passive is not gonna be what makes the difference between your sound and the sound flea has. It's a little more complicated than that.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/76398

this is what im looking at

i know it wont get me the exact sound, i just mean that general ballpark of active funkness or am i being fobbed off with some gimmicky almost-active-but-actually-nothing-like-the-real-thing type affair
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/76398

this is what im looking at

i know it wont get me the exact sound, i just mean that general ballpark of active funkness or am i being fobbed off with some gimmicky almost-active-but-actually-nothing-like-the-real-thing type affair

1. it looks pretty good
2. am not sure if this will get you a sound like modulus
3. looks active
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
1. it looks pretty good
2. am not sure if this will get you a sound like modulus
3. looks active

thats pretty much what i wanted to hear

in electric guitar terms active pups are just that, everything is inside the pup and an active EQ with passive pups wont get you the same sound
Active means, in almost any bass guitar, that it has passive pickups and an active onboard preamp. It's quite rare to see a bass with active pickups. Most basses claim to be "active" which means an active preamp. All that is is an EQ on your bass like the one on your amp.
so its not like a hybrid amp being labelled as "real tube tone", it actually is active

i think im sorted now
Basically, an active pickup has a preamp built in. There are also differences in number of coils and resistance of the coils, but that's going a bit deep to be honest.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Basically, an active pickup has a preamp built in. There are also differences in number of coils and resistance of the coils, but that's going a bit deep to be honest.

so is the ibanez in the link truely active or not?

also: something on the active/passive situation might be a useful addition to the FAQ
I think they're passive pickups going into an active preamp.

I can't really tell, as GAK doesn't give particularily good information on the pickups.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
If we hop down the symantics road, at least in terms of common usage, then yes, a bass with passive pups and an active preamp really is "active." If a bass has active pickups it will be advertised as such, not simply as an active bass, this is rare and not what most people think of when they they think of an active bass guitar.