Hey all!!!!

My main aim of my fx pedal quest is to achieve some real face melting sounds that my amp doesn't seem to provide... My kit:

I have:
  • Fender Strat
  • Washburn Wi-65 Pro
  • Vox 50 Valvetronix amp (with some fx built in)

I play both my guitars equally as much but neither of them really give me that shred sound im after.... I'm hoping! That this is cos i've not dabbled with any fx pedals before.

So guys/gals! Can you recommend me any pedals to get started with? Am i looking for distortion pedals?

The sorta sounds im looking for is:
  • Iron Maiden Solo
  • Metal shred in general
  • ACDC

Thanks in advance!
Yeah distortion (also called overdrive), thats what your looking for! Also a compressor would fit in nicely!
Ace!!! I was worried some1 would post "You just need a new guitar and amp m8" LOL!

I guess my amp (which has modulation of other amps in it) Just doesn't have enuff bang... It had settings like US Overdrive and stuff like that but NONE of the settings are shred worthy!!!

When i get some pedals and what not... whats the best settings to have my amp on? Clean? Distortion? Cos my amp has like 5/6 amp modulations of each type (clean/crunch).
Quote by l2wis
Ace!!! I was worried some1 would post "You just need a new guitar and amp m8" LOL!

I guess my amp (which has modulation of other amps in it) Just doesn't have enuff bang... It had settings like US Overdrive and stuff like that but NONE of the settings are shred worthy!!!

When i get some pedals and what not... whats the best settings to have my amp on? Clean? Distortion? Cos my amp has like 5/6 amp modulations of each type (clean/crunch).

you do.

external FX + modelling amp = generally a no-no.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
haha... oh well, i won't be changing my amp anytime soon so i'll have to get round that somehow...

on a side note how is ur PRS Tremonti SE? I was going to get one once.

I seen this:

on ebay

Reckon it's much cop?
Last edited by l2wis at Aug 13, 2008,
the Tremonti is a great little guitar...wonderful neck.

as for the Boss OS-2....i've never used one, personally, so can't really comment.

however, i'd stick with your Valvetronix, they're good little amps, and will probably see you through until you can afford another amp more suitable to your playing style.

Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by l2wis
haha... oh well, i won't be changing my amp anytime soon so i'll have to get round that somehow...

on a side note how is ur PRS Tremonti SE? I was going to get one once.

I seen this:

on ebay

Reckon it's much cop?

I really dont see why you need overdrive / distortion units with your amp. It already has all that.

Really the only effects youd want are a wah pedal and modulations. (even though the amp has modulation too!!)

EDIT - to get a great Iron Maiden sound, simply set the amp model to UK 80's, crank up the mids and bass, and have the treble just over half way. Turn the gain about 3/4 of the way. This will get you very close.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Aug 13, 2008,
My amp had a auto-wah function built in which i hate... I feel well lost now and don't have a clue what i need....

Think iron maiden.....

Then tell me what i need to add

Also think of the solo in Irons songs. (number of the beast and such)

*EDIT

XtAsY2007 - thanks for the edit dude =) I'm pretty sure i have tried this b4... i want some like F*#& Bite for solos too.
Quote by l2wis
My amp had a auto-wah function built in which i hate... I feel well lost now and don't have a clue what i need....

Think iron maiden.....

Then tell me what i need to add

Also think of the solo in Irons songs. (number of the beast and such)

auto wah is hardly that useful, a proper wah pedal is the way to go anyways..

Use your bridge pickup and the settings I told you, maybe add a touch of delay to add some thickness.

Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden always uses the bridge pickup. Dave Murray often uses the neck pickup for his solos for a more fluid sound.

For a classic Iron Maiden sound you want the UK 80's amp setting, its very good for Maiden. I used to have a vox ad30vt and it really didnt need anything else to improve the Maiden tone i got from it
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Aug 13, 2008,