Guys,

I have always wanted to tuned my guitar down to Drop C, but I never had the chance because I don;t want to ruin my guitars, because i have to shave the nut for a heavier string gauge.

I have Gibson LP studio, fender MIA Standard Startocaster and a schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR

and i don;t really feeling like shaving their nuts, as its irreversable.

so my question is: Do I HAVE to shave the nut for a Heavier string gauge? ( I am currently using 0.10s on the gibson and the schecter and 0.09s on the fender.)

If I MUST shave the Nut, and have to get another guitar, Is there a guitar that is MADE just for Drop C?

Thanks in advance
It depends on the the gauge strings you want to use. Your nut can probably accommodate up to around 52 or so without needing the slot recut.
You'd probably want a something heavier than that if you wanted your LP in drop C, but you should be able to get away with a 52 in drop C on your Schecter or strat.
Quote by chriskhng

and i don;t really feeling like shaving their nuts

On topic: don't worry too much, the nut should be able to accomodate a higher string gauge without too much hassle
ohai little sig.
Just tune any of your guitars to drop C
I use 10 gauge and while the tension wasn't perfect its fine for widdling about with
If you're just wanting to tune down to see what's going on down there just de-tune and don't worry

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I don't know.
I Want to keep the same tension on the neck , for playing reasons and so the neck won't warp or bend.
I've been using 10's for drop C for a long time and haven't seen any damage to my guitars.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Never really affected my guitars that badly ( Fender Tele ), if worst comes to worst just buy a new nut. A nice sounding bone one or something.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by flyingmarlin
Never really affected my guitars that badly ( Fender Tele ), if worst comes to worst just buy a new nut. A nice sounding bone one or something.

I don;t get it. If I detune my guitar to drop C on 10s, and the neck warps, I should go get a new nut?
Your guitars would accomidate 11s no question, maybe 12s, I used 12s on my jag for a while, but the shorter scale made it a bit slacker, but it was fine sitting in the nut.

The neck shouldnt warp due to a bit less pressure, I wouldnt worry so much, just tune back up to E every now and again, or stick on some 11s.