http://gtrplyr54.muxtape.com/

Welcome to My Nightmare - Alice Cooper
Just thought it was a cool opener to my selection of songs.

Still - Foo Fighters
Very relaxing song. Not a typical Foo Fighters song. If you want music to fall asleep to that's it right there.

All the Go Inbetweens - Silversun Pickups
I just started listening to this band over the summer. They have a nice fuzzy sound to them that I really like. This song is off of there debut EP and I thought it was superb. Very emotional.

Cowboy Song - Thin Lizzy
My all time favorite Thin Lizzy song. I have Sirius satellite radio in my car and there is a station that only plays B side songs. Well this song was playing and I'd never heard it before. The song gave pure joy to my ears.

Dreamer Deciever - Judas Priest
Again, not a typical song by Judas Priest. But my dad told me to listen to it and I fell in love with it instantly.

Cortez the Killer - Neil Young
Amazing song. Best by Neil. I can't think of anything better to say about it.

Raise My Rent - David Gilmour
This is an instrumental off of Gilmour's first solo album. It has every Gilmour guitar emotion in one song. Great stuff.

The Light and the Glass - Coheed and Cambria
I fell in love with this band about 2 years ago. They have 4 studio albums that all revolve around a sci-fi based storyline. I love they're stuff and I think this song is the definition of Coheed and Cambria.

The Necromancer - Rush
I just threw this one in there just because it is one of my favorite Rush songs. I love that all three parts have their own little emotion and sound.

The End Complete: On the Brink - Coheed and Cambria
This song is the best song by Coheed and Cambria in my opinion. In the storyline it represents the end of the story, and the end of the story is the destruction of the universe. I think they really have a cool way of representing the total "end" at the end of the song with that amazing guitar solo. A really cool way to end my selection.

------------------------------
Previous Weeks:
BrainDamage 2008-06-25
DownInAHole. 2008-07-02
metalfan#3 2008-07-09
DayTripper1967 2008-07-16
psychodelia 2008-07-23
master 2008-07-30
andrewbiles 2008-08-06

Up Next:
1. Iron_Dude 2008-08-20
2. ohhey9040 2008-08-27
3. Maet 2008-09-03
4. S.A.Dange 2008-??-??
Quote by highvoltage66
so whats this pink floyd guy's middle name anyway?
Last edited by gtrplyr54 at Aug 13, 2008,
***Edited and stuck as usual***
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I was actually gonna put Raise My Rent on my muxtape, but couldn't find the file.

My favorite Gilmour tune ever.
LOL
Good selection, will try and listen to this later in the week. Recognise all the names but only a couple of the songs so it looks pretty good at the moment.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Nice selection. Cortez the Killer is an awesome song. I had never heard that Silversun Pickups song before, it was very good. I'll have to check them out a bit more deeply.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Looks like a great mix. I recognized all of the bands and about half of the songs. I'm glad you put the Cowboy Song on there! It's one of my favorite Thin Lizzy songs.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
i'm glad you all liked it
Quote by highvoltage66
Wow, 'Cortez the killer' was fantastic. How did I not know that song?!

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles

I don't know.
LOL
Looks nice. Raise My Rent is one of my favorite Gilmour pieces. Good to hear him with a Univibe on something other than Dark Side. Cortez The Killer rules of course.

As for Coheed... They aren't for me. I thought they were after being blown away by Welcome Home, but I got that CD and I just don't like most of it. I don't like the melodies or music on a lot of stuff, and I think it's just too long of an album to listen to all the way through. I do love 3 songs from it though: Welcome Home of course, The Final Cut and The Suffering.

...my computer is too sluggish to listen to streaming media so I can't give an opinion on anything else, so I'll step out quietly now.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by Andrewbiles
Better late then never I guess Ah, the magic of three chords and great lyrics.

As for the actual playlist, I like it so far. Welcome to My Nightmare and Dreamer Deceiver were good, I don't listen to much Alice Cooper or Judas Priest, maybe I should start. I really, really liked the Foo Fighters song, and I'm not familiar with the Silversun Pickups, but the song was good. The only other songs I'm not familiar with are the Coheed ones, and I haven't gotten to them yet.

Oh, and Cowboy Song started, but only got like, 30 seconds into it
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by Thefallofman
Looks nice. Raise My Rent is one of my favorite Gilmour pieces. Good to hear him with a Univibe on something other than Dark Side. Cortez The Killer rules of course.

As for Coheed... They aren't for me. I thought they were after being blown away by Welcome Home, but I got that CD and I just don't like most of it. I don't like the melodies or music on a lot of stuff, and I think it's just too long of an album to listen to all the way through. I do love 3 songs from it though: Welcome Home of course, The Final Cut and The Suffering.

...my computer is too sluggish to listen to streaming media so I can't give an opinion on anything else, so I'll step out quietly now.

MIKE, listen to these 2 songs any way you can, they're fantastic.

I bought The Alchemy Index, you owe me one
Okay, that's fair enough Kory. I'll buy 'em from iTunes tomorrow or Saturday.

And really your post should have said "Get these songs Mike, they rule. I bought the Alchemy Index, I owe you one.

Since you bought that Bright Eyes CD due to my praise too I think you owe me another recommendation for something to check out.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Last edited by Thefallofman at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by Thefallofman

I can see why you'd say you didn't like the album because...it isn't their best. I'd start from the beginning. They were more progressive in their first 2 albums. Then this album which was way different from the first two, and then the latest album which has a heavy metal feel to it rather than progressive.
Quote by highvoltage66
I can remember their earlier stuff from when it just came out, though I didn't have any albums. Stuff like Delirium Trigger, and I remember them having a song on the Hellfest 2002 DVD. I didn't like that stuff much at the time, but I'll go back and give it another shot. My musical tastes are certainly different now from then.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by BrainDamage

As for the actual playlist, I like it so far. Welcome to My Nightmare and Dreamer Deceiver were good, I don't listen to much Alice Cooper or Judas Priest, maybe I should start. I really, really liked the Foo Fighters song, and I'm not familiar with the Silversun Pickups, but the song was good. The only other songs I'm not familiar with are the Coheed ones, and I haven't gotten to them yet.

Oh, and Cowboy Song started, but only got like, 30 seconds into it

Alice Cooper puts on a really good live show. I saw him four years ago, and he played all his big hits (Billion Dollar Babies, I'm Eighteen, Welcome to my Nightmare, etc).

I've only listened to a few of the songs so far, but I know most of them anyway. I should really start working on my muxtape.
Quote by BrainDamage

Took so long to learn!
Going to have to seek out some live versions to see how well they jam to it because it's clearly one of those songs that sometimes ends up taking 20 minutes to play.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
Took so long to learn!
Going to have to seek out some live versions to see how well they jam to it because it's clearly one of those songs that sometimes ends up taking 20 minutes to play.

there's a live version on "live rust", but ironically, it's about a minute shorter than the studio version.

i'm sure on some bootlegs there's longer versions. neil liked to jam on songs like "down by the river" and "cowgirl in the sand" so i'm pretty sure he jammed on cortez as well.
I just finished listening to it. It's a very melancholy mix. Most of the songs start off with slow guitars riffs, which generally makes it relaxing. It's pretty good. I'm going to have to check out Silversun Pickups and get reacquainted with Neil Young.
Cortez is the tits... I used to have so much fun jamming on that song. mmmmm

I'll listen to the mix when I've got some headphones around.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out