So in a few months I will have a few grand in my pocket and I'm looking to buy a new amp or something. At the moment i have a dsl100 with 1960a cab with a few pedals. I'm looking for something heavy, yet not fizzy. Listening to Killswitch, their tone is absolute crap on the Alive or Just Breathing album. It's fizz, and i hate that.

I could get an engl screamer head which is $1800 AUS.
I could also get a mesa dual rec second hand.

I haven't tried out many amps, but would like to know what to look at.

Cheers.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
do you not like the dsl? if so what don't you like?

because if you don't you could change the output transformer to a mercury magnets. That clears a lot of the fuzziness. Also a tube Change can do wonders. Try Electro-Harmonix EL-34 with Tung-Sol 12ax7. Great tube combo
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Last edited by JLT73 at Aug 13, 2008,
if you dont like fizzy dont get a dual recto...easy to get a fizzy tone out of that (but possible to get a ****load of sexy ones too)
Oh i love the dsl100. I just need that heavier tone. The dsl100 is GREAT, don't get me wrong, but not that good on the heavy side.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Quote by b00m_
Oh i love the dsl100. I just need that heavier tone. The dsl100 is GREAT, don't get me wrong, but not that good on the heavy side.

look into a used 5150 or even a bugera 6262. That will cover the heavy spectrum and then you'll have your DSL for everything else.

have you tried boosting your DSL with an overdrive? that may produce some extra heaviness.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
The Screamer 50 is a great amp. I was playing it on Saturday and it sounds brilliant. The Reverb is good as well if you like reverb.
Yeah, I got a tubescreamer infront of it. Sounds alot heavier than without, but still not that metal tone i want. The reason i got the dsl100 was for versatility, and it's amazing for that! I'm so surprised at how versatile it is. I was looking into the Bugera as they are cheap as chips over here.

So thanks for reminding me man.
Quote by atr5557
The Dual Rec would be a great choice. Ignore the people that will say it's loose and flubby: dialled in right, and with a boost in front, it can be super-tight and cutting.

The 5150/6505 is always a great choice if you can sacrifice versatility.

The Framus Cobra and Dragon amps are both incredible, and can be had for pretty cheap second-hand.

Remember that it's not just the head you'll need to upgrade. The cab is an massively overlooked factor, and can make a huge difference to the sound. The 1960A is a pretty awful sounding cab.
At the cheaper end, the Framus cabs are excellent, Avatar are supposedly great, though I haven't tried them.
If you're willing to shell out more, look into Orange, Bogner, Vader, Diezel etc.
Last edited by Nolly at Aug 13, 2008,
Quote by Nolly
The Dual Rec would be a great choice. Ignore the people that will say it's loose and flubby: dialled in right, and with a boost in front, it can be super-tight and cutting.

The 5150/6505 is always a great choice if you can sacrifice versatility.

The Framus Cobra and Dragon amps are both incredible, and can be had for pretty cheap second-hand.

Remember that it's not just the head you'll need to upgrade. The cab is an massively overlooked factor, and can make a huge difference to the sound. The 1960A is a pretty awful sounding cab.
At the cheaper end, the Framus cabs are excellent, Avatar are supposedly great, though I haven't tried them.
If you're willing to shell out more, look into Orange, Bogner, Vader, Diezel etc.

How is a Celestion G12-75 loaded cab awful
Quote by kayman121
How is a Celestion G12-75 loaded cab awful

How a cab sounds is down to alot more factors than just the speakers. Every 1960A I've played has been harsh, unmusical, and lacking in balls.
If you have enough money, I'd (this is based on personal preference alone) shell out some dough for a Hiwatt Custom 50 or 100 watt head, or perhaps a 30 watt Orange head with either a Hiwatt or Orange cab. I have nothing bad to say about the cabinet you have at the moment though, so you follow your instincts mate, and I wish you the best in your quest for that sound you strive for.
Global warming at my homework, sir.
Quote by kayman121
i'd beg to differ

i'd like to hear some reasoning behind this
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45