Hi all

Currently I am using a Squier Fat Strat with a Vox AD15VT amp. I feel it is time to upgrade my setup so with a budget of around $1500.

I could pretty much buy a new guitar, i was thinking of getting the RG2570 or Ditch the vox and get a new amp.

Since im not in a band or anything, i dont think i will be needing a high wattage behemoth lol...

Getting mixed opinions from all over, people telling me that I should get an amp for better tone, others telling me it would be easier to learn on a better guitar and how great the wizard neck is.

If i was to upgrade the amp i was thinking like a JCM2000 or sumthing, i dont have much experience with tube amps. Would it be worth getting 60w+ tube amp to play in my room? I'd imagine i would be playing at the lowest volume anyway.

So if anyone could lead me in the right direction, shed some light on this issue... i think i overcomplicated things...

Cheers
60 W valve amp would be a bit loud for playing in your room. But I say you should buy a new guitar. BUT if you've got a good ex of your squire (a good neck and body) you could just upgrade your pickups on it and get a new amp.
any recommendations for a nice guitar?

i have a wierd variations of music

i play for church on weekends, but i like to listen/play metal~~

thats like opposites, so thats why i'm seeking versatility
What kind of metal do you play? Saxon or Cannibal Corpse?
But if you don't want to go to heavy you might want a Les Paul with P90 pickups.
id have said a HSS strat :/
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
ok, i got this.

bugera amp. cheap, but powerful. very heavy. Bugera 6262 212 Tube Guitar Combo Amplifier $649.99

and a jackson guitar or something along that line.
Jackson DKMG 699.99

great combo.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri rock. I need scissors! 61!
ok i think i cleared my thoughts

i'll prolly get a guitar now, and down the track i'll grab a bargain for an amp on ebay
err.. buy the guitar ... tube amp should be played at least at 3/4 of volume that translated is a hell of a noise.... go to the guitar but depending much (totally to be more precise) on what do u play or would like to play...i would rather go to a guitar that has at least an humbucker and a single coil... good ones.. (Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio or EMG ) the amp is good enough for room playing...chears.
buy an BC RIch Warllcok and go play with that to the cruch XD pour christians XD. sorry for the double comment, now that i´ve read all the comments buy another guitar... a metal one... u have the "standart" guitar shape on the squier, buy a warrior, kelly , V or Rhoads from Jackson or something sick from all the other brands out there...stay away from the classics.. they wont give ya the deep bass that metal (sometimes) need.
What is it that you don't like about your gear?
It's a general rule (one of the "commandments of electric guitar" in a sticky) that the amp changes your tone more than your guitar. If you find the squier has really bad playability, you might want a new guitar. Or you could get a pickup change on your squier (if it is made of decent wood), and still have tons to spare for a nice tube amp.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Oh my. GrunhoTs, that's one of the worst (double) posts I've ever seen. Just awful advice all around.

If you like your guitar, and it's comfortable to play, for you, then it won't hurt to get the amp first. If you flat out can't live with your guitar anymore, and it makes you not want to play, replace it.

That said, with your sort of budget, you could replace both, if you wanted to, and still have nice gear. You could look for something like a used 5150 combo, or some equally good metal amp, for $600-700, keep the vox around for church use, and put the rest of the money towards a guitar.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
This is what I'd do if I had your set up.

Guitar:$500-$600
Amp:$900-$1000

I would recommend getting your guitar new, or at least getting a decent look at it if you're thinking of buying used.

For an amp, I can't say enough good things about classified sites. Guitar stores burn you in your pants (that is to say, your wallet) something fierce, and you can get some mighty deals on a good amp (I saw a Marshall Bluesbreaker combo go for $1300 not too long ago...I was in shock).
Global warming at my homework, sir.
Go to the music store and play many of both. I find that a different guitarmostly changes my style and an amp mostly changes my tone. I used to play gibson with low frets. One day I tried a funky butchered strat with jumbo frets. Been playing it for 15 years now.
Had a great amp. Added another because it had a great but different tone.
Quote by DDOG1230
ok, i got this.

bugera amp. cheap, but powerful. very heavy. Bugera 6262 212 Tube Guitar Combo Amplifier $649.99

and a jackson guitar or something along that line.
Jackson DKMG 699.99

great combo.

The Bugera or maybe a B-52 AT-112 for 550. I don't really know "metal" guitars
just spend most on the amp
and like 500 on the guitar

Used Mesa Rectoverb or Used Mesa DC-5 or used Peavey XXX 40w combo

And as for guitars... well I dont really shred on guitars that aren't really old or parkers so i don't know about a shred guitar
i would spend my money like this

800-900 - guitar
600-700 - amp

60watts tube is extremely loud for bedroom practice. i say go for a 30-40 watt tube.

for a guitar a jackson would be a good choice. or maybe a ESP
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
TNfootballfan62 i didnt meant to force the guy to do as i said, in his position that would be what i would do... (an done) first guitar i had was a Dinky DK2 from jackson... normal shape a bit to the metal side i admit) the first amp ? the hi fi system in my living room. afterwards i bought a Peavey 112 Bandit, cool amp but again, pointed towards the metal, recentely i bought a RR24 another metal guitar... i regret it... i should bought a Gibson Les Paul standart or something, but now im thinking on buying a new amp.. the bigs ones... for what ?to play in my room, i now its pointless and its a waste of money but ... who cares?! XD peace brother..
Quote by Tele Echoes
This is what I'd do if I had your set up.

Guitar:$500-$600
Amp:$900-$1000

I would recommend getting your guitar new, or at least getting a decent look at it if you're thinking of buying used.

For an amp, I can't say enough good things about classified sites. Guitar stores burn you in your pants (that is to say, your wallet) something fierce, and you can get some mighty deals on a good amp (I saw a Marshall Bluesbreaker combo go for $1300 not too long ago...I was in shock).

this.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
i actually dont play anything too heavy...

i like to play songs by metallica/GNR/BFMV/Trivium/A7x that sort of stuff (haven't been into metal for long but man its good sh*t)

Hmm i tried my friends Ibanez RG1570, it seemed alrite. Any reason why i should stay away from ibanez? Is it just not as good for metal compared to Jackson/ESP?

also actually i just found a cheap Marshall 1960quadbox on a classifieds for around $500
i mite grab that as well after i go check out the condition, not sure if its got the normal or vintage yet.
Get a new amp and save up later for a new guitar.

The last thing I ever suggest to anyone looking to buy new gear is going splitsies on both at the same time.
Ibanez RG570s can be easily found used for 500 bucks on Craigslist...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Oh my. GrunhoTs, that's one of the worst (double) posts I've ever seen. Just awful advice all around.

If you like your guitar, and it's comfortable to play, for you, then it won't hurt to get the amp first. If you flat out can't live with your guitar anymore, and it makes you not want to play, replace it.

That said, with your sort of budget, you could replace both, if you wanted to, and still have nice gear. You could look for something like a used 5150 combo, or some equally good metal amp, for $600-700, keep the vox around for church use, and put the rest of the money towards a guitar.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Just a thought if you get an all black guitar that looks pretty sweet for metal don't you think it would annoy the old people.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Guitar: Schecter C-1 Classic $750
Amp: Used Peavey XXX Combo or a JSX if your lucky.

That should work
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
Quote by Moose45
Guitar: Schecter C-1 Classic $750
Amp: Used Peavey XXX Combo or a JSX if your lucky.

That should work

The C-1 is an amazing guitar. Id go for it, an Jackson (mainly because thats what I use. I am a metal guitarist) or an ESP. Nothing compares.

Amp choices: as I said earlier, Bugera. B-52. I cant stress this enough, AT on the B-52, not the L series. Line 6 BOGNER, not the other stuff. Peavey XXL. OR you can not, I repeat CAN NOT go wrong with........ The JSX.

those are my amp preferences. Ive been playing for about 4 years. I play at church just like you. Except, I like to freak out most churches. haha.

but thats what you should do.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri rock. I need scissors! 61!
Well with $1500..

I'd try to find some kind of used guitar that suits your needs for around 450-550 bucks, then try to find a nice used Mesa Boogie combo. Rectoverb, Tremoverb, Mark 3/4, DC-5, any of them.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
mesa rectoverb with the burbinga finish. it is gorgeous. and sounds amazing i might add.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
dude with 1500 you could get both things, yes you can have your cake and eat it too!

you could get a sweet American Highway 1 Strat for $750
or
a nice Ibanez RG series if your a metal head

you could get an Epiphone Blues Custom amp for as low as $549
or
a Fender Hotrod Deluxe