Hey guys. My friend and I were at a guitar shop the other day, just messing around and checking stuff out. He tried out some Strat copy (I think it was a Framus) that had a SD Hot Rails in the neck. He pretty much fell in love with it, and now wants to get a Hot Rails for his Fender American Strat (currently on stock pickups).

Since the Rails is basically a humbucker, wouldn't it be better in the bridge than the neck? That's my theory, it seems like that's the way it is with most guitars...

Anyway would it be better in the bridge, and if so, why? If not, why?
Lefty Black Gibson SG Special with EMG 60/85
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
I think plod just won the thread. All 1,019 pages of it. Won.
bridge

if i'm not mistaken it is a high output singlecoil-sized hummie right?
so yeah, i'd put it in the bridge slot
bridge

because generally, you want high output humbuckers to do metalzsszs\m/....and generally that involves using the bridge pickup 100% of the time
Quote by muhsmuhs
if i'm not mistaken it is a high output singlecoil-sized hummie right?

Yeah it is.

Thanks both you guys for the info! And sorry, but I should have mentioned that his big thing is actually blues, not so much metal. With that new info, it's still better in the bridge, right? He does need something with high output... his axe is no match at all for mine (see sig)
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
Quote by Steve Plod
Yeah it is.

Thanks both you guys for the info! And sorry, but I should have mentioned that his big thing is actually blues, not so much metal. With that new info, it's still better in the bridge, right? He does need something with high output... his axe is no match at all for mine (see sig)

go with 2, one in the bridge and one in the neck? and you'll still have that middle pickup for when you feel the need for single coil sounds
i have a hotrail in the bridge of my strat but I find it is very bassy so I plan to move it to the neck and put a hotter humbucker in the bridge, in a new guitar im building.

soyeslow
I wouldn't use a hot rail pickup, but that's just me. I never found it suitable for the blues. Maybe you could get your friend to look at alternatives. Such as the little '59.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
imo, you should look at Dimarzio Stacked pickups. still single coil size, one pup stacked on top of the other.
again, basically a humbucker, and sounds much more full.

i like the virtual vintage series.

i have hotrails and dimarzio stacked. and the dimarzio sound better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I did this on this cheapo Jap strat -I had 10 years ago - I put a Hot Rail in the bridge position and that certainly made the guitar more versatile.

Having said that, it really depends what sort of rig you connect the Strat to. When I had crap amps and effects, I thought my Strat sounded like crap, but ever since investing in some descent equipment I've been loving the sound I can get on my new American Deluxe (single coil).

My advice would be taht you should not judge the sound of a guitar without hooking it up to some descent equipment.
Quote by Sirakov
My advice would be taht you should not judge the sound of a guitar without hooking it up to some descent equipment.

His workhorse amp is a 100w 2x12 Marshall, don't remember the model. And he sometimes plays through a friend's B-52 half stack, so yeah equipment is not much of an issue.

Thanks everyone for the opinions! And Jenny I'll look into the Dimarzio's...
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
Quote by Sirakov

Like a guide rope?
Seriously, though, I really like the GFS pickups for blues. They have a slightly more "mature" sound - less brassy and harsh - than Seymour Duncan Hot Rails'. They also make 6k, 10k and 15k versions, so you could pair a hotter bridge unit with a lower-resistance neck pickup. They are cheap when you buy direct, too - about $25 apiece. I've had GFS and Duncan and find the GFS much more responsive in general and especially at bluesy "edge-of-distortion" gain levels.
personally what i would do is put a hot rail in both neck and bridge that way (for me atleast) you can get that warmer humbucker sound for blues and stuff, but thats just personal preference
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C