I just ordered a Danelectro Fish and Chips Eq pedal. I've heard they are best in the effects loop, but I dont want to have all my pedals run pre-pre-amp and have to run that one with its own cables and adapter separate from my pedal board... is this really necessary?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
a) leave it on all the time, with batteries and just have it on top of your amp
b) get a remote switching unit (just on cable to go to your pedalboard, with everything else staying next to the amp)
c) just run it in front?
I dont understand, I run my pedals some into the loop some into the amp all of the same adaptor (besides the grail but thats just an awkward bitch) and only had to spend a bit extra on some other cables.
Well I have my pedals all in front of the preamp on the floor. I use a daisy chain to connect them. So if I put the EQ in the loop I'd definitely need two more 1/4" cables, and for convenience sake another adapter, since the daisy chain won't reach. My question is would having the EQ BEFORE the preamp really be less effective than after?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You could just buy two longer cables so teh dasiy chain will reach. HAving it in the loop really will make a pretty big difference since its shaping the tone of your amp not just the guitar signal.
Ya thats what I was thinking, just get two like 4 foot cables and run the loop all the way down to my pedal board. Anyone know where to get cheap, good cables online? Perhaps on musiciansfriend?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Basically anything with a thick looking cable and metal sleeves on the jacks that you spend more than $10 on will suffice
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 13, 2008,
yeah they do have some cheap cables... but you might regret it and get some nasty hum or maybe even some random radio station, lol...

but i definately recommend an eq pedal in an effects loop... in the pedal chain it kind of softly changes your eq to help "sculpt" your sound... where as in an effect loop you can get little boosts to insane boosts... i love an eq pedal in the effects loop, one of the best things I ever bought and did
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Ya I'm pretty excited to finally get control of my tone. Also I've heard the Fish and Chips is a pretty good clean boost.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
What pedals are you running? If you have any modulation effects (chorus, phase, flange, delay, etc.), maybe it's time you put a few in the loop, anyway... ?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I have a wah... thats my only modulation, should that be in the loop?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
no... Your wah should be before your amp... Wah isn't modulation its kind of tone shaping. Some people like it in their loops for experimental purposes, but it may sound bad...
It will add 2 more cables but is worth it. If you want to make it easier to cable you could zip tie the 2 new patch cables together so they would be easier to manage. Also sounds like it's time for a pedal board if you don't have one.

I have a compressor, distortion, and overdrive pedals in front of the amp, with a Digitech RP350 in the loop so it does take 4 cables to hook everything up. The RP350 is being used only for the volume pedal, EQ, floor tuner, noise gate, and a few effects like phaser and chorus so basically it's just replacing a few stompboxes.