Alright I'm looking for a fuzz pedal under $100... If you can convince me of why I need to spend $100 I would possibly spend up to that much. Here are all the fuzz models MusiciansFriend has under $100, anyone know what are good what are crap? I'm most interested in the Ibanez because I like their pedals and its a good price.... Please advise.

Digitech Flashback Fuzz:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DOD-FX66-Flashback-Fuzz?sku=150125

Danelectro Cool Cat CF1 Fuzz:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-Cool-Cat-Series-CF1-Fuzz-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=482324

Guyatone TZ2 Fuzz:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guyatone-TZ2-The-Fuzz-Effects-Pedal?sku=155001

Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-FZ7-Fuzz-Pedal?sku=150291
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I don't want to open and look at 4 different links, but I can possibly suggest a fuzz if you tell me what kind of music you play. Are you looking for a more modern, heavy fuzz, or something like a vintage, Jimi Hendrix-type fuzz?

EDIT: Ah, thanks for the titles. But my question still stands.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I like vintage, like Hendrix, Clapton nice classic fuzz. But I'd like to be able to tweak it to a more modern, like Queens of the Stone Age, Sublime fuzz if possible. Vintage is my first choice though. I know I should be spending double on this, but I don't have alot of money and I won't be playing stadiums for a little while so what the hell.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Vintage being your first choice, you probably want some sort of Germanium fuzz (unless i've got that mixed up). A fuzz pedal is relatively easy to build, if you'd rather do that, to save some money. There's a kit that looks nice on buildyourownclone.com. There's also a guy on UG that sales his own fuzz pedals.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Hendrix used Germanium on the first two albums, then switched to Silicon on the Axis album. Since everyone usually has some Hendrix CDs, that's a good way to hear what both can do. If you want a range of Hendrix to modern, you should check out a Roger Mayer Voodoo Axe fuzz. They're great for that.
Time is money, and I'm short on both. So building one is not an option. Do you have any knowledge of any of the 4 I put up there? Can you tell me why I shouldn't be cheap and should just go for the Dallas Arbiter? I already have a super overdrive running, mostly as a boost, so I don't need or want heavy fuzz, just a little hint of it, and occasional crankin it to impress dumb hoes.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^Go used, is my best advice. I haven't tried any of them on your list, but if you need one right away, and don't want to build one, look for something like the Fuzz Face (if you like it) used. It should be closer to budget that way.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I have tried the Electro Harmonix Big Muff, it's a very very nice sound, dirty and vintage. i have tried the little big muff --> TRansistors one.
I think the Tube one should be awesome...
Just take a look
The Big Muff Pi is the one I would recommend, its only 76 bucks on musicians friend, gets a lot of classic sounds, available at most music stores, probably one of the most authentic vintage sounding fuzzes, and won't break easily (like a DOD would). For a wide range of rock sounds but fully capable of fuzz, I recommend a ProCo RAT.
Quote by Red_Hot_Fuzz
The Big Muff Pi is the one I would recommend, its only 76 bucks on musicians friend, gets a lot of classic sounds, available at most music stores, probably one of the most authentic vintage sounding fuzzes, and won't break easily (like a DOD would). For a wide range of rock sounds but fully capable of fuzz, I recommend a ProCo RAT.

if you were to buy a Big Muff or a Rat do not buy them new the new ones suck big time the rats are made in china with low quality components same with the Muffs dont know if they are made in china but they use low quality components too!!

so go on Ebay and look if you are going to but any of those pedals!!!
The more I look into the Ibanez the more I like it. It has a "damage" switch that supposedly emulates a ratty speaker, or dying batteries. It got really good reviews on HC considering the price. Anyone played one of these? The Jimi Fuzz Face is 149 and seems far less tweakable, though I will admit I'm sure its better at ONE thing.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^If you like something that's to expensive, look used.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
my Big Muff works great for Hendrix type stuff in the lower range of the gain knob (and turn it up and you've got David Gilmour solos and doom metal)
I made it myself, modelled mainly after the russian one

also made myself a fuzzface once, with germanium transistors, haven't played it for a while but with the amp turned fairly loud it was instant Cream. Also good for early Black Sabbath riffs (though the Big Muff also covers that pretty well too)

I put both of those together for like $30 each...so if you know how to use a soldering iron

I'm kind of thinking about buying the Danelectro French Toast, a clone of the Foxx Tone Machine.... lots of crazy fuzz and octaves. And its cheap.

edit: out of the ones you posted, the Guyatone
I want a Superfuzz
Last edited by seljer at Aug 13, 2008,
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^If you like something that's to expensive, look used.

+1

It's worth it to spend on quality pedals, because they can stay with you as you upgrade the rest of your rig. That Ibanez will eventually be something that you give away to a nephew or something - and he won't like it all that much, either.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M173-Silicon-Fuzz-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=150572
if you could stretch twenty dollars that would be a great fuzz for you.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
^Yes, probably. But if he isn't willing to look used, then that'll be out of price range, too.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Might I suggest a Voodoo Lab Superfuzz? I use it as my main distortion these days - It does the vintage fuzz thing really well, or you can make it modern and heavy if that's your thing.

It's a bit more than your budget is, but I see it on eBay used for $99USD and $6 shipping.
Try out a tweakfuzz, or if you can find one an older big muff. Try putting an ad on your local craigslist saying your looking for a big muff, thats what I did and I ended up with a fantastic deal on my vintage muff.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Really?^ I was really interested in that one because of the price. Even though I HATE Danelectro pedals, just for construction and looks.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!