if at the start of a piece of music it says # as the key signature how do i know if its e minor or g major? btw i know that you can look at the chords and find out but is there a quick way?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
also the note that starts the song or end on is usually the key signature
...signature...
urrmm the feeling of the song?
if it sounds happy or tension free - major
sad and has tension - minor

it's that simple.
Quote by RCalisto

it's that simple.

but sometimes major keys can sound sad and vice versa
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by RCalisto

it's that simple.

i generally disagree i can compose major songs that has a lot of sad section and tension
^ but then you would be using minor chord progressions wouldn't you? doesn't that make the key minor?
Quote by RCalisto
^ but then you would be using minor chord progressions wouldn't you? doesn't that make the key minor?

no no no..
just cause its the major scale doesnt make every chord within it major.
I - ii - iii - IV - V - vi - viio

the capital I are major chords
and the lil ones are minor chords
dude, if a song is sad, there's no sense in saying the key is major. it's exactly the same, but a different name, for a different feeling.
sure, it can have some 'sad interludes', or the contrary, but if the overall feeling, within the same scale, is sad, it's just called a minor key.

that's like saying ygnwie malmsteen's black star is in G major and the super mario theme is in A minor
Quote by RCalisto
dude, if a song is sad, there's no sense in saying the key is major. it's exactly the same, but a different name, for a different feeling.
sure, it can have some 'sad interludes', or the contrary, but if the overall feeling, within the same scale, is sad, it's just called a minor key.

that's like saying ygnwie malmsteen's black star is in G major and the super mario theme is in A minor

yh but songs can be written in a major key and still be sad. and vice versa
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by Conca
yh but songs can be written in a major key and still be sad. and vice versa

I think you didnt understand him.

If you write a song thinking in G Major, you could also say that you wrote it in E Natural Minor, cause both scales have the exact same notes.

But he means that if the song has a happy feeling, you should say its written in G Major, and if it sounds sad then its E Natural Minor.

Correct me if I'm wrong.