Page 1 of 2
Hey UG,

I need help. My laptop has got Bluescreen or BSoD and its basically completely f**ked up at the minute which is not cool.

Laptop details:
Dell Inspiron 6400
Windows Vista
Had it for 7/8 months

Yes I know its a Dell and its got Vista and its not a Mac etc.. etc...

I really need help though and would be greatful of any. Basically the Bluescreen has came up a couple of times and on separate occasions has stated one of the following as a problem:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Any ideas? Thanks.
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by metaldud536
If you use more than 1 stick of RAM try using one each at a time for while and see on which one it happens on.

I only use the RAM included in the laptop itself. How do I check or use one at a time?

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by TheDarkestNights
Stop watching pr0nz.

Thanks, but from reading about BSoD its usually a hardware or software problem? So im guessing pr0nz wouldnt really be a major factor.

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by screwup30
I only use the RAM included in the laptop itself. How do I check or use one at a time?

Hmm...it's a laptop eh? I've never had a laptop so you're f*cked.
Hey, ill take a PC over an overpriced mac anyday.

If im not mistaken, the 6400 is an older dell right?. It sounds to me that if thats true, it probably had its memory upgraded to run vista when it came out. And the quality control on PC memory sucks ass. So i would take out one stick at a time (assuming there are two sticks inside of it), and boot off of one and see if it does it. Like the guy above me stated. Or it could be that Vista is such a resource hog on older systems, it maybe overheating your processor or Graphics unit. And the radiant heat overheats the memory chips causing a failure resulting in a BSoD.

Those are the options that come off the top of my head.
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 (selling soon to fund a Mark V)
Can you start in Safe mode?
Did you install a dodgy driver or something.
Quote by screwup30

That's pretty pathetic. Dell is fine, Vista is only different, and you don't have a Mac cause you're not a sheep, congratulations.

What do you do when the blue screen comes up? When you restart the computer, does everything work fine until you get the blue screen again?

I once randomly got blue screen errors when fast forwarding too much in Adobe Audition, but when I figured that out, I didn't do it and avoided it because I could. If you have an issue, you need to be very specific about what happens during, after, how many times...

I'll try to help you out but I just got a laptop recently (Dell/Vista... OH NO) and I haven't had any problems with it.
fck.
Quote by screwup30
Thanks, but from reading about BSoD its usually a hardware or software problem? So im guessing pr0nz wouldnt really be a major factor.

actually, since your laptops and vistas memory usage sucks ass, you could have been watching pr0nz and memory usage from the high quality stream could have overloaded your memory. CHECKMATE.
Yeah i finally got round to all this, so, what shall i put here?

*insert hillarious ego boosting qoute here*

THE GAME
you just lost it
Quote by screwup30
Hey UG,

I need help. My laptop has got Bluescreen or BSoD and its basically completely f**ked up at the minute which is not cool.

Laptop details:
Dell Inspiron 6400
Windows Vista
Had it for 7/8 months

I really need help though and would be greatful of any. Basically the Bluescreen has came up a couple of times and on separate occasions has stated one of the following as a problem:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Any ideas? Thanks.

lol
Stop ****ing with the guy, and no system32 deletion "advice". When does it come on? Make a report of what you're doing, for example:

"opening Itunes"
"Listening to songs"
"gone on UG"
"On the pit"

And when it come on, check what it was.
Quote by divinorum69
Get A vista CD and reinstall.

If you dont have a copy download one, or do it the hard way call the company for the warranty(which I suppose it has)

They should have supplied one. Some companies are better at supplying hard-reinstalls/formats than others. Luckily one of the good things (yes, one of..) Mesh did was supply me with a proper fully-formatable CD.

Worded that badly but yeah. Format it, if you can back anything up you need in safe mode do that first of course and have all appropriate drivers/software from websites and installers close by.
Quote by n47713
actually, since your laptops and vistas memory usage sucks ass, you could have been watching pr0nz and memory usage from the high quality stream could have overloaded your memory. CHECKMATE.

No. No. Just...No. A modern operating system doesn't just bail if it runs out of space in RAM .

TS, this might be of some use.

EDIT: If you don't feel like reading all of that it's probably a driver issue, no memory, so the question is have you updated any drivers or installed some new hardware recently? If so back-track on that and see if it fixes the problem.
Last edited by MrP at Aug 13, 2008,
Couldn't it be a faulty hard-drive as well? It could be something internally isn't connected properly now for some reason, lots of things.
Quote by MV4824
TS - my computer has been running great for 8 months.. and I got the BSOD today twice.. and my computer keeps ****ing up...

I'm ordering this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-FAST-DELL-PC-P4-3-2-GHZ-TOWER-COMPUTER-WIN-XP-2-PRO_W0QQitemZ350088454429QQihZ022QQcategoryZ179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you want that PC for? Pentium 4 is complete old hat now compared to the new ranges.

Also, Open Office and AVG is free. Please for the love of God don't pay over $300 for that.
Sorry I was away there for a while.

Ok so basically the BSoD happens as soon as the laptop restarts, and as soon as the laptop has started again it happens AGAIN... its a vicious circle.

So I dont get to do anything on the computer at all, I also havent downloaded anything or installed anything in the past month or so.

I havent a clue

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by mexiSt
That's pretty pathetic. Dell is fine, Vista is only different, and you don't have a Mac cause you're not a sheep, congratulations.

By the way, Im happy with my laptop and have been. The only problem is this damn bluescreen.

I only put up that Dell, Vista etc... thing as a sort of disclaimer for Mac users who's answer to everything is "Buy a Mac"

So its not pathetic, its just forward thinking

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by Jackolas
Have you tried safe mode though?

I can use the computer in safe mode, but I'll just double check now. Why?

Thanks btw

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Your RAM is f'ed.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors are both mainly caused by problems with your RAM, try and get some more and replace the chip your laptop currently has in it.

@ All the people saying "go into safe mode"
Safe mode will only delay a crash if it's a hardware issue.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Your RAM is f'ed.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors are both mainly caused by problems with your RAM, try and get some more and replace the chip your laptop currently has in it.

@ All the people saying "go into safe mode"
Safe mode will only delay a crash if it's a hardware issue.

I was suggesting safe mode to back up data then format etc.

How do you go about changing ram on a laptop?
Oh no

Another bluescreen with a different problem which is the following:

APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

Whats this mean?

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by screwup30
Oh no

APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

Whats this mean?

Dude your laptop is basically having a meltdown. Drop it and run.
Quote by screwup30
Oh no

APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

Whats this mean?

http://www.aninsomniac.co.uk/2008/02/apcindexmismatch.html

"It took about 8 months for my Dell laptop to start going at a snail's pace. I definitely need a memory upgrade to 2GB. I was lucky to be pre-Vista by a couple of months.

But all is not well in Macland, despite what you hear. I have a blog friend who is distraught with her new Mac and blogger. She says it is well known that there are problems between the two.

I feel your pain. No easy answers. At least you seem to know what you are doing, unlike me."

Uh oh.
Quote by Jackolas
I was suggesting safe mode to back up data then format etc.

How do you go about changing ram on a laptop?

Reformatting won't do anything if his RAM's broken :P

Not sure with Dell's but there'll be a little hatch somewhere where the chips are placed.

Quote by screwup30
Oh no

APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

Whats this mean?

That's also RAM related I think
Press F8 to get to the advanced startup options and go to "disable automatic restart on system failure" and write down the "stop:?x???????? ?X??????? etc etc" error that you get, then go to Micro$oft's knowledge base on their website and try searching each code individually. If that doesn't help go here http://www.memtest.org/download/2.01/memtest86+-2.01.iso.zip and download memtest86 and burn it to a disc. Windows should be able to burn .iso files to bootable cds. If you have trouble with that use google. If you get any errors with the memtest then you need new ram. ♦
Quote by Wasted-Youth
I laugh at people that say "well my mac doesn't get viruses!" That's like bragging that nobody breaks into your shack and steals your lawn chair.

Quote by Yakult
I've got more faith in Michael Jackson safely babysitting my cousin, than I do in Windows.
So basically it seems as though my RAM is screwed?

Do I have to wipe the computer and start over? Or will I have to get new RAM aswell?

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
I think it's RAM. You should always buy good RAM, because some of the the cheaper brands have bad quality control. That includes the RAM Dell put in your laptop.

Quote by screwup30
So basically it seems as though my RAM is screwed?

Do I have to wipe the computer and start over? Or will I have to get new RAM aswell?
If your RAM is broken, formatting will do nothing. You need new RAM.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Aug 13, 2008,
You shouldn't have to wipe your computer RAM doesn't have any drivers per se so just replacing it will be fine.
Quote by MV4824
I record and produce music.. I need a fast computer.

A Pentium 4 is not by any means "fast" by today's standards.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
You shouldn't have to wipe your computer RAM doesn't have any drivers per se so just replacing it will be fine.

What would be good RAM then if im going to replace it?

Also any ideas of why my RAM has suddenly went like this? What could possible causes be?

Thanks dudes.

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
I'm no expert on laptop RAM so I'm afraid I have no idea what would be good, sorry :/

But possible causes could be lots of things. Maybe something went wrong with your laptop's power supply and fried your RAM, there's no real way of telling.

Computers are way too damn complicated
Just buy moar ram. They're not expensive and they're easy to install. And I don't think you'll have to format if memory was the problem.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2