Have you learnt bass online, or with a teacher?
Would any of you consider yourselves to be primarily "bedroom players"?
I am thinking whether to start learning bass or guitar, Why should I choose bass?
Finally, can you state your online learning website.

I would prefer to learn online if I start bass, but I need to know some good free sites.
my dad is really annoying so he won't let me get one so i make the best of it.

1, if you have a job/ money , then you should get a pre-paid credit card and start on a bass guitar lesson website, its only like 20 bucks a month and its pretty much a bass teacher with plenty of cons.

2, you don't need to pay 20 dolllars either, just jam to songs and drums, youtube is your friend.
and you can find any scale or technique on the internet

i've been doing number 2 since i started playing and its not that bad

hope i helped
You should learn bass if you want to learn to play bass. There's no pros or cons, just your own opinion. You should choose without any input from anyone else at all, because then you may get into something without really thinking it over. Just go for what appeals to you most. Think about what you can do with both instruments. Sit down with them, have a play around.

On the other stuff, I am self taught and not a bedroom player.
Quote by NKF176
I am thinking whether to start learning bass or guitar, Why should I choose bass?

I would prefer to learn online if I start bass, but I need to know some good free sites.

why start? Because it's fun!

+ you train your fingers!! which will not only get you girls but actually also gives them something to remember you for if you know what I mean
that is if you don't play with a pick!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Teachers are much better than learning off of the internet, but you don't seem to want to hear that, so Studybass.com is a good musicians site. I haven't delved too deeply into it, but a lot of the concepts are really solid.

I learnt from a teacher and am mostly a bedroom player.
1. I've gone the teacher route--I just learn better in an interactive environment with someone who can give me constructive feedback. I started as a bedroom player and now I am actively playing with two bands / groups. One is more jazz, the other is a bit more blues oriented. I am also starting a band with the spouse again.

2. I play both, but prefer bass. Playing bass has made me a much better guitarist, because you need to be so much more grounded in theory and aware of how each instrument fits to make the music when you are a bass player. My opinion.

3. Active bass, Cyberfret bass and Berkleeonline all have decent lessons. I tend to cruise those sites when I want to expand or practice something beyond the classroom environment.
Quote by NKF176

Pick which one you prefer the sound of and like the feel of the best. I never liked playing guitar, but I enjoyed fingerpicking and the chunky, spaced strings of bass guitar. Go figure.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Self Taught, going to learn theory from a teacher, but otherwise I will be a 100% self yeah, a bedroom player. Everybody here is into music I don't want to play, except maybe one drummer and one guitarist, both of which are in bands.
*still loves to jam*
Because Bass is criminally underlooked and I love to keep to foundation of the music. Bassist have the biggest Experimental Pockets, as well, imo.
Cyberfretbass.com is okay for learning basics, but I need a teacher for serious theory stuff.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

Last edited by bassnguitar at Aug 13, 2008,
I started out about two years ago, just learning the tabs to some of my favorite songs and playing along.

There's so much material on UG and Bassmasta, I don't think I've used anything else since I've been learning.

And I'm not primarily a bedroom player, I play churches and local bars around two-three times a month.

Good luck.
Quote by NKF176

I just started listening to songs on my ipod and learning them....But watever you do..DONT LOOK AT THE TAB FOR A SONG BEFORE TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF. use tabs for when you cant figure it out.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I learned with a teacher for about a month, realized he wasn't quite doing it for me, and have been using books ever since. Honestly I think i've made more progress through books than I would have with my teacher, however my teacher taught me solid technique as far as using your fingers....i suggest starting out with a teacher, but don't rely on him for years and years.

I do play a lot in my bedroom, however I'm also in a punk/hard rock/alternative rock band and get to jam with many other friends as well.

Here is just a small list of reasons why you should learn bass rather than guitar:

EVERYONE plays guitar. It's incredibly hard to get in a good band as a guitarist, however, 9 outta 10 bands NEED A bassist, so you'll never have a problem finding anyone to jam with.

Do you want to play those sissy high notes on guitar, or the beastly deep ones on bass?

You can tell guitarists "mine is bigger than yours" (assuming you're a guy)

Slap bass sounds badass.

There are many other reasons, but basically i was in the same predicament as you: bass or guitar. I chose bass and have never looked back, and honestly, i don't have any interest in learning guitar any more; bass is where it's at.
I took up bass because all my musician friends play guitar and no one played "Serious" bass. There are no bass teachers around where I live, so I use various You Tube vids (check out any Victor Wooten videos), I use the lessons on this awesome website, and I use www.studybass.com. Bass is a lot of fun and really adds to your band.
Because electric guitars are just toys to me.

In addition you need about 10 different effect pedals and a whole other bunch o' other crap in order for the guitar to sound good.

With bass all you need is an amp and lots of practice and you will sound golden.

Electric guitars are for little kids.
Bass is for men.
I've played guitar for 3 years, picked up a bass 8 months ago and now play both. They are very different instruments, you're going to see initial improvement in bass a lot faster than you will on guitar but it's much harder (IMO) to become a great bassist because of the theory you need to master, etc. in order to be considered a great bassist. Great guitarists are everywhere.

I picked up bass so that I'd be able to find a band to jam with because I know about ten guitarists and not a single bassist. And that growl you get with a bass that makes your stomach rumble is too cool.

Not that I don't love the high pitched, blazing fast guitar solos as well.

Why not try both? Flip a coin to decide which one to play first or something but I see no reason to play just one.
Jackson DKMG with Dimarzio Evo2's
Squier Strat

Vox AD50VT-212

Schecter Stilletto Elite-4

Acoustic B200

Change of Season

fuzzyDXMG=GREAT buyer/trader, easy to deal with.
Quote by Another bassist
It's incredibly hard to get in a good band as a guitarist, however, 9 outta 10 bands NEED A bassist, so you'll never have a problem finding anyone to jam with.

Though it's not really a good reason to choose bass over guitar, this is very true.
teacher
no
becuse everyone and their brother plays guitar, but bassists are rarer. There is always a demand for bassists
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk