so...i'm thining about building a tele style guitar...but have a couple questions...

why is it on strats and tele's that the bridge pickup is slanted? is this to increase the treble and decrease some bass?

i have seen pickups that i'm interested in...act as single coil, or on the flip of a switch, a humbucker...now...the reason i want to build a tele is to get some twang...if i put this pickup in how will it effect the twang...or is that also another reason why the pickups are slanted?
The reson they do this is to properly put the pickup under harmonic nodes (the best point on the string to pickup all the frequencys). In some cases it may change the "twang", sometimes its done just for the looks.

The fender pickups also have different pole placement (wider) than standard pickups so the poles linup under the strings. This is the best way to get all the tone. IF you wanted to, you could slant your pickup slightly so that the bass poles are just off the strings, but the bottom poles line up better, this would produce some extra twang for ya'. I have a guitar I built (a BC Rich Virgin copy) that I set the pickup slightly off and it produces a lot of twang.
Kinda funny actualy, my "country" guitar is a pointy BC Rich, lol.

The coil tap (where a pickup can act as a humbucker or a single) is usualy not as good as a true single coil for twang, but if you like the sound other have gotten with this setup, go for it. Otherwise, put an actualy single coil in, then put a second single coil in the neck that you like with a phase switch, that way when both pickups are on with the phase switch you get the humbucking, but retain the single coil twang your after.

Hope this helps
Quote by nightwolfsden

The coil tap (where a pickup can act as a humbucker or a single) is usualy not as good as a true single coil for twang, but if you like the sound other have gotten with this setup, go for it. Otherwise, put an actualy single coil in, then put a second single coil in the neck that you like with a phase switch, that way when both pickups are on with the phase switch you get the humbucking, but retain the single coil twang your after.

Thats a coil SPLIT not a coil TAP
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Let's cut it with all this harmonic node crap. There is no "best point to pick up frequencies". While they of course, do exist, they have no bearing on tone, other than the distance from bridge and 12th fret affecting warmth/brightness of tone, due to the ability of the string to freely vibrate....Furthermore, harmonic nodes move as you fret strings, anyway.

They slant it solely to get a more trebley sound on the higher strings.