which one is more prevalent in metal. CGCFAD or DGCFAD? I'm trying to decide which tuning i should keep my floyd rose in. I'm too lazy to look up the tunings the bands use and count.
Death used D-standard. The Human Abstract uses drop C and D-Standard. Ehhh...Killswitch uses drop C I'm pretty sure? It sounds like Paths of Possession uses D-standard...A few others I can't remember
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Older metal...and by older I mean 1990's is pretty abundant in that tuning, newer stuff is in Drop C a lot, but bands like Norther keep it in D Standard and show that its still very usable.
well if you keep it in C you'll still be able to play the D standard stuff, but not vice versa, so i'd vote C
Quote by Mathamology
One day that guy is gonna lose a whole arm to that blender

and that shall be the day I laugh the hardest
buy an EVH D-Tuna so you dont have to worry about it =D
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
id stick with d standard
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Well it depends what kind of metal
Metallica plays in standard e
power metal bands like Iced earth and Hammerfall play in Eb
I think Necrophagist uses D Standard

and a lot of death metal bands use drop c, drop b, d standard, c standard

And I know Disturbed plays in Drop Db
D standard is used more then Drop C in my opinion. But there's no way to tell, it's pretty much who you listen to.
Which ever one you prefer the sound of, that's what it's all about.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I tend to see a lot more metalcore and deathcore bands using Drop C. A lot of prevalent melodic death metal bands seem to use D standard and sometimes really weird low tunings, though. I use Drop C quite a bit though, the extended range of two semitones is nice =p.
I play in a Death Metal band, and we play in C mostly. It all really depends on what type of Metal your playing, and what sound you prefer.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul 60's Neck
Ibanez RG350MDX
B-52 AT-100 Half Stack
killswitch uses drop C. in flames uses drop A#. arch enemy uses A flat standard. testament uses D standard. maylene uses drop D. underoath uses drop d. thrice uses drop C.

overall i would go with drop C.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
It depends, like many have said before, on the band But try this: if you are lucky ( or maybe it's just how you set it up ^^) you MIGHT be able to tune from standard D to Drop C with the fine tuers on youre floyd (and vice versa of course) - I'd say it is worth a try
A ton of metalcore bands play in Drop C...I've rarely heard of one that plays in standard D.

Melodic death metal and stuff like that use Standard D more. I know Mastodon plays in Standard D.
YEAH
keep it in d standard unless you want go through the trouble to play in a slightly more versatile tuning
Quote by mikey son
keep it in d standard unless you want go through the trouble to play in a slightly more versatile tuning

A tuning is only as useful as the player using it; no one is better than any other.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by mikey son
well can you play drop c songs in d standard
and can u hammeron powercords

Can you play 7 string songs on a 6 string guitar? Can you play ALL D standard songs on a drop C tuned guitar?

These are questions that don't need asking; the point is that musically speaking the tuning doesn't make the music, a tuning should be used as a means to a tone or set of notes, nothing more.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
ok play me frantic disembowlment on a guitar tuned to standard
oh ya you cant because
tuning does matter

oh and yes ican play any d song in drop c
just move up a fret or two not hard
Last edited by mikey son at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by mikey son
ok play me frantic disembowlment on a guitar tuned to standard
oh ya you cant because
tuning does matter

oh and yes ican play any d song in drop c
just move up a fret or two not hard

Very well, seeing as how you wish to continue: play me Psalm of Lydia by Nevermore on a guitar tuned to C standard. You can't, can you?

Play me "Set the World on Fire (The lie of lies)" by Symphony X on a guitar tuned to drop C. I doubt you can at all.

Just because a tuning is lower doesn't mean you can play everything in a higher tuning on that guitar; you have to think about more than pure range, the placement of pedal tones, chord voicings and scale shapes also make a big difference.

Besides which I'm not talking about cover songs; I'm talking about original material. I don't know if you're aware of this but people can write songs on the guitar if they're not famous, in which case the tuning is purely down to personal taste.

By your logic the only guitar there is any point in having is an 8-string tuned to Drop-E because people have written songs in that tuning so you can play all the other songs in the world on such a guitar.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
just move up on the top string two frets
and im a noob so i know i cant play those songs
oh and why are you posting this **** about 8 string guitars?
if you remember that the guy who made this thread said which tuning d or drop c
so i gave my opinion on
he didnt so the most low tunings and play it higher ups on a 20 string guitar did he?

and if he was making his owns songs a drop tuning could make it much easier to do fastpace powercords and all that
Last edited by mikey son at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by mikey son
just move up on the top string two frets
and im a noob so i know i cant play those songs
oh and why are you posting this **** about 8 string guitars?
if you remember that the guy who made this thread said which tuning d or drop c
so i gave my opinion on
he didnt so the most low tunings and play it higher ups on a 20 string guitar did he?

I'm trying to explain to you why you're wrong and you're jumping to all kinds of conclusions and taking everything i say the wrong way.

Look at it this way: A tuning, outside of covers, means nothing. Take open C for example: used by countless slide players (like John Butler), Jimmy Page on the song "Friends" and Devin Townsend for most of his work who is a shred/metal guitarist.

You can't always just move the bottom string up 2 frets anyway; some of the jumps for the fretting hand, even on the rhythm parts for songs like Set the World on Fire and Psalm of Lydia are next to impossible and definitely impractical.

The first thing you should decide when you start to write your own music is what you actually want to write, then you try to write it and if you can't get the sound you want out of the tuning you're in, change. Beyond that the tuning for originals means nothing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm trying to explain to you why you're wrong and you're jumping to all kinds of conclusions and taking everything i say the wrong way.

Look at it this way: A tuning, outside of covers, means nothing. Take open C for example: used by countless slide players (like John Butler), Jimmy Page on the song "Friends" and Devin Townsend for most of his work who is a shred/metal guitarist.

You can't always just move the bottom string up 2 frets anyway; some of the jumps for the fretting hand, even on the rhythm parts for songs like Set the World on Fire and Psalm of Lydia are next to impossible and definitely impractical.

The first thing you should decide when you start to write your own music is what you actually want to write, then you try to write it and if you can't get the sound you want out of the tuning you're in, change. Beyond that the tuning for originals means nothing.

Excellent post. +10
Quote by markazord
well if you keep it in C you'll still be able to play the D standard stuff, but not vice versa, so i'd vote C

This.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
A tuning is only as useful as the player using it; no one is better than any other.

Not necessarily. if in drop C you could play easily drop D music, just raising the notes on the sixth string a tone, whereas in D you loose a tone.

i agree with you that no tuning is better, but if it's a choice between two, he should go for the one that he has more of a chance playing more songs on, so i agree with mikey son, and in this sense i believe drop c would be a more versitile tuning
Quote by Mathamology

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

+1

but drop C actually adds two more notes to the low end of the guitar.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Quote by NSHSpolevault
+1

but drop C actually adds two more notes to the low end of the guitar.

And takes 2 off the top; your range is exactly the same.

Quote by markazord
Not necessarily. if in drop C you could play easily drop D music, just raising the notes on the sixth string a tone, whereas in D you loose a tone.

I'm just going to quote myself:

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Next time try reading the whole thread.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I don't think either one is more prevalent, it's just a matter of preference in sound and vocal range. There are tons of metal bands that play in drop D, drop C, regular down a half step, regular down a full step. My band plays in Drop C because it works really well for the music we're writing and our singer's voice. Hell, half of the Pantera songs out there are drop D but down about a quarter of a step to get that bizarre sound they get.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I'm just going to quote myself:

Next time try reading the whole thread.

i did, but i assume a guy asking questions in guitar nad bass basics won't be attempting to play anything too mental.
Plus he's on about leaving it in a tuning for long periods of time, so C opens up more songs, if their then unplayable in C he can tune up
Quote by Mathamology

Zaphod is right when he says you can't play everything in drop C. Sure, you might think every song is possible by moving up the frets, but think about it. Some songs are way to fast to be able to do an awkward fingering that you may need to do in Drop C.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

No it doesn't. In dropped tunings you're only affecting the range of the bottom end. Anything you "lose" can be played on the adjacent string (5th string).