i have a marshall 50DFX a fender strat and a boss gt-8 effects pedal but with effect pedal plugged in the distortion effects sound completely horrid i dont know if its something im doin or if my amp is just junk, the clean sounds are great but as soon as i put distortion on its horrid, loads of feedback and itsounds crap i cant get a good crunch tone like slash or perry without havin problems can anyone give me some advice?
The amp is crap
get a new one, preferably tube
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
it's prolly your amp. a fender and a boss are both pretty nice, so I bet if you get a better amp it'll prolly be better.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
drop the marshall. but seriously drop he marshall. no im just kidding drop the marshall

or you could turn down the level of your distortion pedal, and are you putting it on the gain channel when you use distortion. because that is a no no only have distortion on clean chanels because the over distortedness makes a nasty and disgustign earbleeding sound. and if you want crunch turn you tone bellow your distortion on the pedal. it gives the crunch sound
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
The MG isn't the greatest amp, but it sounds like it's acting way worse than it should. It sounds like you need to back off the gain.

What are your settings currently?
new amp FTW.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
sell the marshall and the pedal and get a new amp.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
im am using the clean channel on the amp but as soon as i use any distorted settings u get a horrid background tone and the gain is dialled way long and makes no difference i reset my pedal and it was slightly better but not want i want, the amp was £250 so even if i get my money back i havent got anywhere near enough for a tube amp
MG sucks, you need to upgrade pups in Strat. Also I've played with the GT-8, its tone isnt amazing either.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by TigerWoods
im am using the clean channel on the amp but as soon as i use any distorted settings u get a horrid background tone and the gain is dialled way long and makes no difference i reset my pedal and it was slightly better but not want i want, the amp was £250 so even if i get my money back i havent got anywhere near enough for a tube amp

This horrid background tone might be some fuzz from the single coils from your strat. Try to keep your guitar and amp away from each other and turn the volume down on your guitar. If none of that works positions four and two will do wonders to stop the feedback.
Everytime i used a Dist. Pedal with my MG it just got all feedbacky, so i always kept it to the clean channel if i was using a Distortion pedal. But yes, new amp.
i have been recommended buyin expensive leads, my leads at the mo were quite cheap but i know a mate who will be selling his marshall AVT150H head and cab soon for a good price
Stay away from the AVTs, they aren't any better then the MG.

But despite what all the sheep here say, you should be able to find a decent tone with your amp.

Try playing without the boss, see if it still sounds horrid.
Set your eq flat, keep your gain low.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.