hi guys,

this is my first post here and i hope i learn something ..
maybe an introduction...
i have been playing classical guitar for 6 years now but i never was that bothered to learn anything since this year ... so my playing is average ... it was funny but i kept on improving but i stayed in that one spot and i cant go on ... and still i am in that spot ... NO SURPRISE THERE :P i want to start playing the electric guitar (well i can play but cant write my own stuff) ... yesterday in a few hours a learnt the pentatonic minor scale and the first 12 notes on the low E string .
i dont know any electric guitar techniques:P maybe a few links ??
any advice on how to solo ... i been on the lessons on the site and read a few posts on it and ... is happening thats why i am asking for techniques for hammer ons, pull offs and pickingwith a plectrum

cheers
Welcome aboard UG dude. And hope your stay here is a good one. I don't normally venture into these forums, but I saw your post and thought I can help you out.

Firstly, how's your rhythm? I ask this because most guitarists practise scales and left hand exercises over and over (not that it's a bad thing) but you have to get your rhythm tight before moving on to anything else. It's better to have a good rhythm THEN learn to solo rather than the other way around.

You say you've learned classical for the past few years, then I presume you know how to sight read and know your basic theory? If you do then your already better than many beginner and intermediate guitarists out there.

Like I said, get your rhtythm tight. Listen to bands you like, follow their rhythm. Play along with the song. Practise slowly, and then let it develop to full speed. But you probobly already know that.

Soloing techniquie wise, I would advice you to do some finger exercises using all your 4 fingers. Look them up, the net is filled with stuff like this. Same goes for legato (slides, hammer-ons and pull-offs, bends), alternate picking and every other technique.

Get your basics down. Minimise the noise of the other strings while your playing by muting.

Learn. Your. Scales.

Try single string melodies at first, move on to more complex things later.

Just some reaserch and you'll find tons of stuff to help you out. And there are awesome guitarists on UG who are always willing to help you. I would also advice you to get a teacher. A good teacher will get your playing to a level that would otherwise take much more time to achieve.

Hope I've helped. Good luck in your guitar journey.

PM me (I'm assuming you know what PM means , if not, it's Private Message, check the profiles thingy) if you have any questions or stuff.

Cheers
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
my left hand is good , speed wise i am good ... i can finger pick on my right hand pretty well but that always needs some practice . i already have lessons but never learnt theory which is really annoying me at the moment and i dont really get it any way .

i want to get a new guitar and amp ... i have a jackson at the moment and i not be happy out of it ... i been thinking about a les paul style guitar but gibson is a bit waaaaaayyyyyyyy over my budget

any ideas ?
Last edited by indigo007 at Aug 13, 2008,
Quote by indigo007
my left hand is good , speed wise i am good ... i can finger pick on my right hand pretty well but that always needs some practice . i already have lessons but never learnt theory which is really annoying me at the moment and i dont really get it any way .

i want to get a new guitar and amp ... i have a jackson at the moment and i not be happy out of it ... i been thinking about a les paul style guitar but gibson is a bit waaaaaayyyyyyyy over my budget

any ideas ?

Sorry for the late reply, didn't notice that you had replied as well . And what style do you wish to play? Rock, jazz, metal, punk, ska, blues? Depending on your major style preference you would have to choose a guitar.

Now you have a Jackson, I have a Jackson, and I think Jacksons rule . But if you don't like it, then you can get a new one. To each his own I guess.

Now I'm assuming you play rock/metal mainly. I say get your basic chord-scale theory straight first off, and listen to the blues, I don't know why it's considered heresy in classical circles to play the blues, but a lot of rock and metal is centered around that.

I say your major weakness is your picking hand, even mine is. So practise alternate picking a lot, and try string skipping. Take it easy at frist, and work with a metronome. Try to play technical difficulties by Paul Gilbert, that's one heck of a picking exercise. Again, take it slow at first, then gradually build up speed.

And as for the Les Paul style guitar, well look around your local music stores, if they have any Les paul copies, play them. I find the lp to be awesome looking, but extreamly heavy and it dosen't fit my style, but don't take my word for it, check 'em out yourself.

And yes, Gibson does overprices like a bitch, check out epiphone, it's decent and within a normal person's price range. But it won't be hard for you to find a good les paul copy, again, just look around and play. Same goes for the amp. All really depends on your budget and what tone you want from it.

Try and also incorporate some classical music into your guitar playing. Specially some violin solos. Classical violin solos on the guitar = instant win.

If you have any more gear related questions, there is a forum dedicated to this kinda stuff here.

Well, hope I've been of help to you. Holler at me if you have any more questions.

Cheers
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Pentatonics are great for soloing in just about any style so keep practicing those. Pentatonic also provide good tapping riffs used by guitarists such as Randy Rhoads and Kirk Hammett so learn those also. Learn solos from songs you allready know and observe what is being played. That's how I started soloing. I learned the pentatonics, learned some solos from some of my favorite artists, learned what the guitarist was actually playing,(not just notes, I looked deep into the song) and took influence from what was being played.

Good luck.