How do you think a Gibson LP would handle B tuning with stock pickups? I heard a Gibson SG tuned to B and it just didn't sound right. I've only heard Gibson LPs tuned as low as C which sounds fine, but never B.

Before you say anything, this is just for an experimental project that requires B. I'm not a metalhead idiot who wants to destroy a Gibson to sound like Slipknot.
Because Les Pauls are a shorter scale you'd need really really thick strings to tune that low and maintain a good amount of string tension, it would probably be near impossible to inonate aswell.
i think gibson tuners suck ass, i would buy better one for that kind of tuning, and i play 2steps down and have .13-.58 with a wound 3rd (G string is wound)
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
I tried on mine, didn't work very well. As mentioned above, due to the scale you would need at least 11's, and to get the right intonation would be very difficult.

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
yeah it would work, the pickups wouldnt really have anything to do with it, due to the scale though, the strings will be mighty floppy.
a jackson 7 string? that's a big step down :P
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Apparently you haven't heard Carcass' Heartwork record, the whole record was done with Les Pauls tuned to B Standard.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Hmm, that's what I thought. Guess I'll be buying that Jackson 7-string now.

i think that would probably be best for a tuning that low.

good choice.
Sunn O))) use Les Pauls fitted with P-90 pickups tuned god knows how low, I think a stock LP with humbuckers will do B just fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by BrickIsRed
How do you think a Gibson LP would handle B tuning with stock pickups? I heard a Gibson SG tuned to B and it just didn't sound right. I've only heard Gibson LPs tuned as low as C which sounds fine, but never B.

Before you say anything, this is just for an experimental project that requires B. I'm not a metalhead idiot who wants to destroy a Gibson to sound like Slipknot.

Great, just put big strings on and play with your EQ. Amon Amarth uses Explorers in B standard and those are 24.75 scale Gibsons. Carcass has done it too.

And how can you destroy a guitar by drop tuning? How are metalheads that drop tune this low idiots? And what metalhead actually listens to Slipknot ?

What kind of Jackson 7-string is it BTW? Some of their seven's are quite bad from what I've heard. Get a COW7
Quote by Eric 666
Apparently you haven't heard Carcass' Heartwork record, the whole record was done with Les Pauls tuned to B Standard.

That doesn't sound bad at all. The low B notes sound a little muddy compared to 7 strings I've heard, but it might just be good enough for my purposes.
Quote by BrickIsRed
That doesn't sound bad at all. The low B notes sound a little muddy compared to 7 strings I've heard, but it might just be good enough for my purposes.

Meh, they were using stock pickups I believe, so basically with a pickup change to something a bit brighter, it would work fabulously, or maybe change some settings on the amp.
Yeah, I'll experiment around a bit. The biggest challenge is picking the correct strings and intonating.