Page 1 of 2
Axle543
User Registered
246 IQ
Im just curious what you guys would think the best solid state amp would be. Im already a tube amp person and I think my favorite SS is an Orange Crush.
nebiru
Registered Abuser
386 IQ
I have only heard negative things about those Crush amps.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
darkarbiter7
i love amp
4,594 IQ
Personal preference.

But, for me, A line 6 vetta.

Also, if the orange crush is your favorite SS amp, you haven't haven't played many.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Aug 13, 2008,
Minderbinder
The Central Scrutinizer
563 IQ
Roland Jc-120 is the best I've ever played through
“There’s man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet.”
- Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
captainoid
UG Newbie
71 IQ
Quote by GITARdud391
The roland cube 60 is pretty good. I almost got but then I got a Fender 65r, best solid state amp I've heard yet.

I really, REALLY hope you're joking.
idonthavefleas
54 IQ
Quote by Minderbinder

This, for cleans at least.

Also I'm going to have to go with the Cube 60 too, even though it's technically a modeling amp (right?)
GEAR:
Crate V50 combo
Bad Monkey OD
Boss DS-1
Squier 20th Ann. Bullet (black on black, Gibson 500T pickup, Ping tuners)

Quote by crackereast
i'm going to call charmin and see if they will endorse me.
i use the **** out of there paper.
Jestersage
3,362 IQ
It depends what you want:
portability: Crate CPB150, and possibly upcoming ZT lunchbox
portability that sound good: Fender Ultralight series. That acoustasonic ultralight is basically a miniture PA.
Ultra high gain: Randal RH100. Dimebag actually use it for distortion.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Fama
Nubnub
197 IQ
Quote by idonthavefleas
This, for cleans at least.

Also I'm going to have to go with the Cube 60 too, even though it's technically a modeling amp (right?)

Yes, but it's still solid state.

I'd say the Lab Series amps that BB King uses are pretty good.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
(Metal)lica
R.I.P Billy Mays
531 IQ
The peavey vypyr when it comes out
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

the_sg_blues_07
211 IQ
i have a question. Are the orange crush amps bad?
"We play it the way the air is in America today. The air is slightly static isn't it ? You know what I mean ? " -Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by the_sg_blues_07 at Aug 13, 2008,
thankyougermany
is not from Germany
196 IQ
I liked the Line 6 Flextone. Much better than the Spider....
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
Quote by (Metal)lica
The peavey vypyr when it comes out

How do you know it's the best SS amp when you haven't even played it or heard it yet? Just out of curiosity....
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
UpTheIrons!
minister of proper ghanda
76 IQ
I like Jazz Chorus amps, and yes, BB King's Lab Series 2x12 is sex.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
DivADD
10 IQ
Quote by TNfootballfan62
How do you know it's the best SS amp when you haven't even played it or heard it yet? Just out of curiosity....

He's falling for hype.

I doubt it will be worse compared to the SS modeling amps in it's price range, but until it comes out for all we know it could be a flop, a level-field competitor, or absolutely destroy the competition.

Sales should be good for them though, people love buying things with more knobs and lights then something the same price with less knobs and lights.
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin
1,202 IQ
Blue Tone Pro30

hands down. played briefly on one a few years back, the best solid state amp I've ever heard.
(Metal)lica
R.I.P Billy Mays
531 IQ
Quote by TNfootballfan62

It's called.. Peavey website
Quote by Le_Bunny

TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
^So you know it's a good amp because of Peavey's website? I'm not following you. You haven't played it, right? Then how can you know it's good?

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
(Metal)lica
R.I.P Billy Mays
531 IQ
Based off features and the tone from the videos it sounds great, and its not a bad price either.
Quote by Le_Bunny

darkarbiter7
i love amp
4,594 IQ
I'm with kyle on this one. You can't possibly say that the vypyrs will be the best SS amps because they're not even out yet! And even then, I doubt they will be the best. Although they will probably be better than spiders and MGs.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
solidsnake15
UG Newbie
201 IQ
Quote by darkarbiter7
I'm with kyle on this one. You can't possibly say that the vypyrs will be the best SS amps because they're not even out yet! And even then, I doubt they will be the best. Although they will probably be better than spiders and MGs.

exactly but over half the people here have never played half the stuff they recommend or have opinions on. They just assume it. Like everyone that says "go get a used 5150" Half of them have never even played one but they assume because its tube and affordable then it's got to be the right choice and so many people come on here regretting listening to it!
metzguitarist
DV8-Rtist
865 IQ
Randall Rg100SC Baby!
My Setup:
Dean VMNT(Metallic Silver)
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

Sarcasm: Killing any chance you ever had at scoring this guitar, since 1895.

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!
Ventor
Registered Abuser
223 IQ
I'd go for a Randall RG100 or an old Marshall Valvestate (8000 series)
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
7,171 IQ
Quote by Axle543
Im just curious what you guys would think the best solid state amp would be. Im already a tube amp person and I think my favorite SS is an Orange Crush.

Sorry man, but this is gay.

'best solid state amp would be' ......- for what? For you? For us? For someone else?

Depends right? Best is relative.

I like oranges and apples.
brianthemayan
Your mom says Hi.
234 IQ
Quote by Fama
Yes, but it's still solid state.

no.

Its a modeling amp. Do we really have to do this again?

A modeling amp is not a SS amp. Totally different thing.

I've played through a Roland JC and thought it was pretty good.... as is a Peavy Bandit, for SS amps.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
UpTheIrons!
76 IQ
A modelling amp uses solid state technology.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
brianthemayan
Your mom says Hi.
234 IQ
OK, so I'm gonna stop the "modeling is SS" argument now. This is from a past thread... this should clear any doubts up... sorry its so long, but this topic really galls me....

Quote by brianthemayan

Ok. You don't have to take my word for it. Take the professionals word for it. Here are some interesting links for you to review.

Keep in mind that I do not debate that Modeling amps are based on SS parts, or in the case of the Spider Valve tube parts, but they are neither, and are in a class of their own.

from this link: http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/guitars/guitar-amps/buying-guide.php you can read this:

Types Of Amplifiers
There are four types of guitar amplifiers: Solid-state (analog), Tube, Modeling (digital), and Hybrids.

Solid-state Amps: These amps are called solid-state because they use transistors for their preamp and power sections instead of tubes. They are very reliable and seldom need repairs. They often have a very clean tone, although many come with "distortion" channels also. These amps are popular with players looking for a sturdy, reliable touring amp.

Tube Amps: Tube amps preferred by many guitarists for their warm, fat tone and "organic" distortion. Tube amps usually sound louder than solid-state amps of the same wattage and have a definite "feel" that you don't get from solid-state amps. Most tube amps have separate channels that can switch from clean to distorted tones instantly. Tube performance can deteriorate over time, so tubes need changing occasionally.

Modeling Amps (Digital Amps): Modeling amps use digital processors to simulate the sound of old-fashioned tube technology. Using software that "models" the sound of tube amplifiers (and cabinets), these amps put the sound of numerous amps in one box. Modeling amps are programmable, and often have built-in digital effects such as delay, chorus, etc. Some include digital or analog outputs with speaker simulation for going direct into a recording interface or PA system.

Hybrid Amps: Combining the best of each type of amp into one package, these amps use an actual tube in conjunction with the solid state power section of their amps. Marshall Valvestate amps use tubes in the preamp section and solid state circuitry in the power section to create a tube tone without requiring the use of power tubes.

further, you can read these links to see how the amps are described/marketed/categorized by their manufacturers:

Line 6 Vetta
Line 6 HD 147
Hughes & Kettner
Spider Valve

here is an article talking about the types of amps comparing them

Point being guys, all these amps perform different functions and have different purposes. The reason that there is the differentiation is so that we can quickly understand what the desired results of the amps are. It matters not what powers the digital modeling amp, in terms of describing it AS a Digital Modeling amp. You *could* call them SS, you *could* call them tube, but both of these classifications are wrong.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
UpTheIrons!
76 IQ
Solid state = semiconductors, and as you said, solid state amps use transistors. Digital stuff uses semiconductors as well, like ICs.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!
2,072 IQ
Roland cube, peavey bandit
/thread.

EDIT: i checked out that vypyr amp, and it really looks like it could be an amazing amp.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Aug 14, 2008,
ChrisN
I signed up for this?
201 IQ
Quote by Minderbinder
Likewise.

I'm actually considering selling mine though; I really don't use it enough.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
Quote by darkarbiter7
You can't possibly say that the vypyrs will be the best SS amps because they're not even out yet!

for being logical!

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by darkarbiter7
I'm with kyle on this one. .

+ 3 at this point? My math in the morning sucks.

Edit: CourderoyEW's JC sounded pretty wicked in his clips, had me screaming "fender tube" in the comparison thread... But I'm a cleans-*****...
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
^It's the thought that counts.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86