I'm trying not to be picky about any specs as mainly I'm after good sustain. (My present guitar has really bad sustain...)

I'd prefer a strat body though. This is the kind of tone I like, I know amps are more important than a guitar towards tone, but this may be important for pickup setup. Don't listen to all of it if you don't like it. (I get the feeling some people on the forums won't like the song, XD)

I think I'm going for something around $600-800. Perhaps higher, but I'm also looking into a new amp.

Edit: Also, thanks in advance.
Quote by RadioActiv3
Jackson Kevin Bond signature (great tone, good sustain...)

I'm checking out some videos, not the look I want, but definately got the tone and sustain, as you said.
I'd look at LTD, Ibanez, Schecter, etc. Basically, anyone who does super strat styles. Also, get a good compressor to go with your new amp, that will increase your sustain loads.

Something like this?

BTW: That is a good song, though my favorite on the Kiss album is probably Pretty Girl.
Quote by Vykk Draygo
I'd look at LTD, Ibanez, Schecter, etc. Basically, anyone who does super strat styles. Also, get a good compressor to go with your new amp, that will increase your sustain loads.

Something like this?

BTW: That is a good song, though my favorite on the Kiss album is probably Pretty Girl.

Thanks, also pretty funny, the guitar that has crappy sustain I'm trying to upgrade from, is the H-400 XD. Well I don't listen to much L'arc en ciel, but I just came across this song while searching through a Jpop/Jrock group of videos.
Actually, that is pretty funny.

You sure it's not mostly the amp then? I mean, that is a hardtail guitar as well. I know when I upgraded from my Fender Frontman 25R to my Blackheart BH5 that I gained tons of sustain, even while playing clean. I'm thinking it's mostly from the strings resonating with the amp.

You might want to take your guitar and try it with some nice tube amps (if you aren't already using one). Might notice a big difference.
Quote by Vykk Draygo
Actually, that is pretty funny.

You sure it's not mostly the amp then? I mean, that is a hardtail guitar as well. I know when I upgraded from my Fender Frontman 25R to my Blackheart BH5 that I gained tons of sustain, even while playing clean. I'm thinking it's mostly from the strings resonating with the amp.

You might want to take your guitar and try it with some nice tube amps (if you aren't already using one). Might notice a big difference.
Hmm, that would definately be something to check, thanks again. Now that you mention it, I think I recall it having some pretty good sustain on an amp I tried awhile back. If you're right that's more I could spend on an amp XD.
Squire Strat...

don't...there's no sustain. at all

I would get an LP of some type
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
A poor workman blames his tools.

Part of the secret to good sustain is solid vibrato technique; make sure your vibrato is up to standard before you go blaming your guitar or amp.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Rezuya
Hmm, that would definately be something to check, thanks again. Now that you mention it, I think I recall it having some pretty good sustain on an amp I tried awhile back. If you're right that's more I could spend on an amp XD.

Happy to be of help!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
A poor workman blames his tools.

Part of the secret to good sustain is solid vibrato technique; make sure your vibrato is up to standard before you go blaming your guitar or amp.

You mean me? I can do a pretty good Vibrato, but my guitar has no sustain. Vibrato on helps a little bit.
Quote by Skynyrd890
You mean me? I can do a pretty good Vibrato, but my guitar has no sustain. Vibrato on helps a little bit.

I mean anyone and everyone who says they don't have enough sustain. Vibrato helps a lot more than most people seem to appreciate.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I know it can help a lot, I'm just saying that the sustain is just bad on MY guitar.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I mean anyone and everyone who says they don't have enough sustain. Vibrato helps a lot more than most people seem to appreciate.

Well I vibrato every note possible... If I don't I'll lose it faster...

Just so you know, I didn't want to say that my amp is an MG which...was overdue to be replaced the moment I got it... <.< Half the time, my practice amp sounds better. Lmao. Rip on me now.

BTW I like the Krug avatar.

Edit: It's been a few years since I got the MG, I started hating it probably after the first half of a year, probably sooner.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The problem is not everybody wants the sound of vibrato. Lots of people want the completely straight basic note to sustain for a long time.

Anyway:
- Heavy body/neck/headstock. The more mass (bigger body, thicker neck, larger headstock, etc) and the denser the wood is, the more sustain. Simple as that.
- Bolt-on guitars have been proven to provide the most sustain so long as the neck has been attached properly. Set necks are second, and in tests neck-through is actually the worst for sustain.
- Make sure the guitar is strung correctly and the strings are at best possible tension. FYI .09 strings on a 25.5" scale guitar or .10s on a 24.75" guitar are considered the optimum tension in standard tuning for maximum sustain.
- Bridge. A good block of solid steel is best for tremolo bridges, though the best bridges for sustain are one-piece 'Wraparound' bridges as found on things like earlier Gibson SGs and Les Paul Junior models. String-through is second best when paired with a tune-o-matic bridge. The string-through non-tremolo bridges found on some Fenders and on many super strats is actually worse for sustain than a tune-o-matic and string-through combination.
- Lower your pickups, or use pickups which are lower output. Have them mounted to the body rather than a pickguard. Lowering pickups also has the added bonus of increasing note clarity.
- If you can live without them, consider removing some of the controls on your guitar, or even some of the pickups. The less complex the guitar is, the more sustain it has.
- Use a thicker pick and dig it into the strings harder.
- Use the shortest cable possible between the guitar and amp. Wireless units should be avoided unless it's really necessary.
- Use as few pedals and other such things in your rig as possible. A basic guitar plugged directly into a combo amp is proven to provide the best sustain. Stack style amps with separate head and speaker cabs can be fine, just make sure they're connected up properly and with as little cable as possible.
- Two smaller speakers are better than one big one, two lower output amps are better than one more powerful amp. This goes for both sustain and also for clarity.
- Use the best cables money can buy.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you want good sustain, the first part of your guitar search would be something with a Mahogany body.
Quote by MrFlibble
The problem is not everybody wants the sound of vibrato. Lots of people want the completely straight basic note to sustain for a long time.

More subtle vibrato is the answer, the main melody part to "For the Love of God" is the ideal example of this: Vai's vibrato is very subtle but still enough to sustain the note for a significant amount of time and with plenty to spare.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
mahogony body and set neck and whatever else is bull****

i think that set neck might help a little but it has almost everything to do with pickups and frets, basically how the metal connects.

i dont know why but my friend has a P.O.S ibanez gio and it will ring a note and never stop, but my Iceman is **** for sustain yet way more expensive and a much more quality guitar.

just try stuff out because every guitar is different
Quote by Tedward

i think that set neck might help a little but it has almost everything to do with pickups and frets, basically how the metal connects.

i dont know why but my friend has a P.O.S ibanez gio and it will ring a note and never stop, but my Iceman is **** for sustain yet way more expensive and a much more quality guitar.

Pickups do nothing for a guitar's natural sustain.
Quote by Tedward

My friends GIO has amazing sustain too.
I guess that says much about your Iceman, heh.
Generally speaking, a guitar thats neck through body construction with string though body as well will have excellent sustain. Shop around with those specs in mind.
Pickups make a huge difference aswell as amp, the guitar woods matter too.
Compressors can help or you can get a fernandez sustainer pickup system that can have infinite sustain, seriously.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded