I was planning on getting a Valve Junior soon to replace my crappy ss amp and I noticed that crate dropped their prices on the v18 112 to match the price of the VJ. So now I wanna get the crate but I don't know how good it is. I'm going to gc to try it out this weekend but I wanted to know what you guys think about it. So how is it?
I was just surfing GC.com and noticed this too haha. I'm headed to GC today to try some things out. If they have one I'll let you know how I like it.
Sam Ash has had them on sale for $230. Not sure why everyone is dropping the prices on these. I liked the V18 when I tried it, very good cleans.
Quote by alucarDuo
How's the overdrive? I plan on using it with my Wylde OD too.

You can get some good hard/classic rock tones. Needs help to get to metal territory IMO.
I don't play much metal anyways. Hard/classic rock was what I was hoping for.
Last edited by alucarDuo at Aug 13, 2008,
v18 112 on guitar center website for $149.00 and the v18 212 $199.00 must be coming out with a new model??
crates get bad feedback and white noise though, but just play the amp before you buy it and buy the exact amp because i got one that is horrible.
the tone iffy in my opinion, its not bad but meh.
Ok, well I've been reading quite a bit of these crate price drop topics and I decided that if I'm going to get one, I would like it to be 2 channel (i.e. v50 or v33). But the only thing I'm worried about is the volume. 'Cause obviously it'll be too loud if I try to crank it for overdrive, the main reason for getting a tube amp. So how can I keep it low, but still retain the overdrive and tone? I was thinking of putting in one of these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-254#

Would that work? Either that or could I just crank the amp and lower the level on my overdrive pedal and keep everything fine?
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
Epiphone G-400 1968 w/ Mean 90
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by gregs1020
Sam Ash has had them on sale for $230. Not sure why everyone is dropping the prices on these. I liked the V18 when I tried it, very good cleans.

Ooh, good cleans?

I think I might have to get one of these V18's.
Quote by Mitchell?
Ooh, good cleans?

I think I might have to get one of these V18's.

I liked them, not as much low end as the Blues Jr, but very good in my opinion. I wasn't expecting that.
Can anyone answer my question^^? I kinda need to know by this afternoon.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by alucarDuo
Ok, well I've been reading quite a bit of these crate price drop topics and I decided that if I'm going to get one, I would like it to be 2 channel (i.e. v50 or v33). But the only thing I'm worried about is the volume. 'Cause obviously it'll be too loud if I try to crank it for overdrive, the main reason for getting a tube amp. So how can I keep it low, but still retain the overdrive and tone? I was thinking of putting in one of these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-254#

Would that work? Either that or could I just crank the amp and lower the level on my overdrive pedal and keep everything fine?

i don't think that will work. u will need a attenuator like this
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/THD-Hot-Plate-Attenuator?sku=481283
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Carlo-Robelli Acoustic (first guitar)
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
I'm thinking of getting the V18 and getting a Emi Red Fang for it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Damn. Well, thanks anyways. I guess I'll just have to see how well that works at gc, if they even have 'em.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Yeah. If I get it, I'll finally have something portable and reasonably low wattage.
The only problem is, I wanted to buy a BH Killer Ant.
Oh well, the KA will always be there. I should probably jump on this deal once I get some cash, or i'll probably regret it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
sad. guitarcenter online is out of stock on all v series models, and expected date to get more is 9/15 that sucks hard. my regular gc store didnt have any at all, ill have to try the next two cities over to see if they have them
Oh well. They didn't have any v series for me to try, but I did see a nice classic 30 for $400. Since that's what I really want, I'll just save up a little longer and get that.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by gregs1020
I liked them, not as much low end as the Blues Jr, but very good in my opinion. I wasn't expecting that.

Oh.

Was the low-end still respectable though? I have to say I like a pretty beefy low-end, but not muddy.
^ I just got a v33 and I think it has a lot of low end. Especially the Drive channel. When I use the neck pickup on my strat, the lows stay tight as long as I keep the bass eq at 3 or below. Over that and its mud. When I use the bridge pickup you can eq in more bass. The clean channel stays pretty mud free as long as you dont put in too much bass.

Key thing though is try before you buy. Just because I like it doesnt mean you will.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
But at the prices they're going for now, it's worth it not to try.
i'm probably going to wind up getting the v18 2x12
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I compared the V18 to a Blues Jr, side by side. What surprised me was how good the cleans were on the crate when doing so. But the BJ had more low end overall. The crate had better gain, but I used less bass when using any gain - as I usually do. Reverb went to the fender, but the crate had okay reverb.