So, here's my dilemma: I bought a JSX head amp because I'd read so much about its versatility and quality. It sound's good, and I can reign in some good tone.... It's just that my Line 6 POD Pro sounds better. I do run my POD through a tube power amp, which seems to improve the sound, but still... I'd thought the JSX should sound better.

The JSX sound fuzzy, loose and not very warm compared to the POD Pro no matter how much I tweak it (or turn it up). I can get a tight, heavy and warm sound without much effort with the Pod, plus anything else a I feel like. And I love how the POD just shuts up after I stop the strings; the JSX starts humming (and screeching if I'm to close) even with the built-in noise gate on max. To be fair, the JSX does seem to have a more organic sound (but then again, it could just be that I'm biased and know that it's all tube and should sound that way) and the palm-muted "chunk" sound is better than the POD.

I guess I could get a nose suppression pedal, and an overdrive pedal which would probably get the JSX to sound close to what I want, but I'm just not really convinced anymore that tubes are the only way to go. I'm considering just selling my JSX head and using the money to buy this when it comes out:

Line 6 POD X3 PRO

I'm really into effects and would love to try stereo, but I'm still not sure... Is it worth spending a lot of extra money trying to get good tone using all tubes when I can get all than and more using modeling (which is still being run through a tube amp anyway)? Would it really sound that much better?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I don't think "tube" tone is what you should be striving for, but rather "tone." If something already gives you the tone you want, who cares what the technology is behind it? My opinion is to return the head. It may be that another tube head will give you the tone you want, but if the amp doesn't make your heart sing right out of the box, it isn't worth spending hundreds of dollars on other equipment to bring it closer to what you want.
TS How high do you have the gain on your JSX? Also, how do you have the EQ set? The reason I ask is because the Peavey Ultras have a ton of gain on tap and really any thing much past 1:00 starts to sound Fizzy, on the Ultra Channel, also the Active EQ can make it a bit of a pill to dial in, when you treat them like passive Eqs.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by -Rane-
So, here's my dilemma: I bought a JSX head amp because I'd read so much about its versatility and quality. It sound's good, and I can reign in some good tone.... It's just that my Line 6 POD Pro sounds better. I do run my POD through a tube power amp, which seems to improve the sound, but still... I'd thought the JSX should sound better.

The JSX sound fuzzy, loose and not very warm compared to the POD Pro no matter how much I tweak it (or turn it up). I can get a tight, heavy and warm sound without much effort with the Pod, plus anything else a I feel like. And I love how the POD just shuts up after I stop the strings; the JSX starts humming (and screeching if I'm to close) even with the built-in noise gate on max. To be fair, the JSX does seem to have a more organic sound (but then again, it could just be that I'm biased and know that it's all tube and should sound that way) and the palm-muted "chunk" sound is better than the POD.

I guess I could get a nose suppression pedal, and an overdrive pedal which would probably get the JSX to sound close to what I want, but I'm just not really convinced anymore that tubes are the only way to go. I'm considering just selling my JSX head and using the money to buy this when it comes out:

Line 6 POD X3 PRO

I'm really into effects and would love to try stereo, but I'm still not sure... Is it worth spending a lot of extra money trying to get good tone using all tubes when I can get all than and more using modeling (which is still being run through a tube amp anyway)? Would it really sound that much better?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity whats your master volume set at on the JSX?
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Just out of curiosity whats your master volume set at on the JSX?

Between 4 and 6 usually. I've cranked both master volume and the channel volume up till my ears are ringing. Up to a certain point, the tone is better louder, but it still seems lacking.

Quote by Johnbryant
TS How high do you have the gain on your JSX? Also, how do you have the EQ set? The reason I ask is because the Peavey Ultras have a ton of gain on tap and really any thing much past 1:00 starts to sound Fizzy, on the Ultra Channel, also the Active EQ can make it a bit of a pill to dial in, when you treat them like passive Eqs.

I run the gain at max usually, but I've tried it just off 0 and all the way around. Sound something like an old-school tube amp when the gain is turned down like that, But it doesn't change the actual tone too much; it just sounds less... driven.

I usually run the treble around 3, the mids on 0 or just off of it and the base on 6. Basically the heaviest setting I could get. I have played around with it a lot, but as far as my taste goes, that's the best I could get.

Quote by rhettro
I don't think "tube" tone is what you should be striving for, but rather "tone." If something already gives you the tone you want, who cares what the technology is behind it? My opinion is to return the head. It may be that another tube head will give you the tone you want, but if the amp doesn't make your heart sing right out of the box, it isn't worth spending hundreds of dollars on other equipment to bring it closer to what you want.

I think you're right. Especially considering that it would cost multiple thousands to do what the POD would do with arguably similar quality for only $700. I guess I just don't want to admit that the JSX won't do all that I expected it would tonally.

Many thanks!
Quote by -Rane-

I run the gain at max usually, but I've tried it just off 0 and all the way around. Sound something like an old-school tube amp when the gain is turned down like that, But it doesn't change the actual tone too much; it just sounds less... driven.

I usually run the treble around 3, the mids on 0 or just off of it and the base on 6. Basically the heaviest setting I could get. I have played around with it a lot, but as far as my taste goes, that's the best I could get.

I think this is your problem. Running gain at max on most amps resulsts in fizziness. Preamp disotrtion is fizzy. Also removing mids resuts in a fizzy tone. These two combined will result in a very fizzy tone. A simple way to rectify this is easy however. Set the gain lower. I often say that above 6 on the gain the risk of getting fizz is very high. Secodnly, get more mids in there! Start with it at 5 and adjust from there. Also pull down the presence to get away some of that fizzy tone.

Also if you THINK you don't get enough gain from the amp at this setting, get an overdrive pedal and BOOST it!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
try giving the amp some mids if you want it to be warmer when ever i try a new amp i dont just use settings i know work on other amps cause they are all different what you need to do is sit down set everything to 12 o'clock a tweek to taste worst case scenario is your tone deaf
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Quote by -Rane-

Many thanks!

That setting would sound horible, Gable had the right idea, with my triple XXX (Very similar to your JSX) I start with all the EQ knobs a 12:00 and adjust from there (since the eq is active thats the best place to start). As far as gain setting I have both my gains set below 12:00 and the amp sounds killer, no fizz, just raw hard OD, I get a very Numetal type tone on the Ultra channel with the gain at 11:30.

I don't want you to get me wrong, the pods have come along way, the X3 is an awesome device, and run through a good tube power amp I am sure you can get some awesome tones, but I think you can get a much better tone out of the JSX then what you have now. Tone is all about your personal preference, if you cannot get the tone your after with the JSX and your happy with the POD then by all means use the POD.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Gabel
I think this is your problem. Running gain at max on most amps resulsts in fizziness. Preamp disotrtion is fizzy. Also removing mids resuts in a fizzy tone. These two combined will result in a very fizzy tone. A simple way to rectify this is easy however. Set the gain lower. I often say that above 6 on the gain the risk of getting fizz is very high. Secodnly, get more mids in there! Start with it at 5 and adjust from there. Also pull down the presence to get away some of that fizzy tone.

Also if you THINK you don't get enough gain from the amp at this setting, get an overdrive pedal and BOOST it!

+1. Tbh threadstarter, your settings seemed shit. No mids with max gain = ultra fuzzy. Put all your settings at 5, and then tweak them to your perfection.
^Fizzy, not fuzzy!

Oh and my name's Gabel, not Gable. But just call me Gabe...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by Gabel at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by Gabel

I tried your settings and it does sound better. The fizziness is gone and it doesn't feedback like it was, but my original settings where still actually closer to what I was thinking, so I took your other suggestion and bought a Swell G-TOD tube overdrive off ebay (I was really impressed by the reviews of this thing on Harmony-Central). I'm also going to try putting an EQ in the mix to get more control over the tone.

Thanks, everyone, for the help.
Preference. I love the tone that i get from my pod x3 more then i can get from a mid range tube amp
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Honestly active EQs make me want to run and take cover. I think that EQing a passive amp is hard enough. haha