I've googled it but I think I understand however I want to make sure, do you use a pre amp when you plug ur guitar into a computer? And what exactly does it do, and how much do they cost? I'm interested in purchasing one
i am axel rose
if u want to plug it directly into your computer they have mixers for that and they have built in pas
Check out Line 6's Toneport. They're not too expensive and they're great for recording directly into your computer. I've been using my Toneport for years now. I even bought a PODXT Live that is essentially the same thing but It's a multi-fx board and it has pretty much everything you need to perform.
What exactly are your needs? If you want to plug a guitar into a computer, it may be better to get an interface, which is likely to have a preamp AND a DI box, the latter is what you need to convert your signal to be usable in a computer...it'll output a clean guitar signal. The interface gets this signal through a computer cable, usually USB, so it's unaffected by the quality (or lack thereof) of your sound card.

M Audio's Fasttrack and Line6's Toneport GX are the most affordable ones you can get. A preamp is only meant to boost the weak signal of a microphone. You'll need it if you want to get the sound of your amp.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Aug 13, 2008,
From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone_preamp
A microphone preamp (microphone pre-amplifier) is a device used to amplify the voltage [signal] taken from a microphone to a higher, more usable level. Most microphones must be used in conjunction with a microphone preamp to function properly.

I believe you're looking for an audio interface for your PC. Here:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/computer-hardware-recording-cards-audio-interfaces?N=100001+304891
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Either your guitar or the output of the pedal works.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
The toneport accepts a line-level signal (the same level of signal that goes into an amp), so a dedicated preamp is not necessary. You can hook up the guitar or the pedal-out straight to it.
Worry about preamps when you want to actually mic your amp.
I currently do just plug my guitar->footpedal->computer but it doesn't sound very good, the tone doesn't sound like the tone i would get if i was using an amp, i understand its probably my crappy soundcard but how can i enhance the sound/tone?
i am axel rose
all you need to know about preamps:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/microphone_preamps.htm

To get better tone get yourself a fair interface, around $200 and mic your amp with a mic like the Shure SM57. The EMU 0202 is a good start as is the Mackie Onyx Satellite but if you have vista be aware some of these may not have vista drivers out yet.

Interfaces have better AD converters and on board preamps for mics and instruments. They are very common when recording.

Figure out what you want and need to record first and pick your interface with that inf in mind.
Tweaks guide is a great book to read though even if some of the things are "over your head" at this time.