I'm pretty sure Avenged Sevenfold play most if not all the songs on City of Evil using the D Natural Minor scale, assuming this is the case, i couldn't help but notice Syn and Zacky use notes out of this scale, are these just random notes or do they have a proper reason for using these particular notes, for example G# and stuff

cheers dudes!!!
Well, A7X plays in Drop D tuning so playing/writing songs in D minor is easy to do. G# is the augmented 4th in a D minor pentatonic scale and is used in the that keys relative blues scale and such. Plus, they used diminished lines and G# is used in that diminished scale. Using notes outside of a scale is not uncommon. You just have to know which ones sound good.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by Warheart1188 at Aug 13, 2008,
Well its possible they're switching from natural to harmonic minor, or melodic, or they could just be playing accidentals for a more chaotic sound.
I don't listen to A7X but one of my old bandmates was a huge fan. We ended up covering Unholy Confessions (not off of City of Evil, I know). That song spent a lot of time in straight up D minor but towards the end Synyster started using the octatonic/diminished scale(whole step-half step-whole step-half step...etc). That D scale has a G natural and an Ab (same as G#) so he was probably using those scales again.
wrong, syn was the main reason i now play jazz

he was at berklee you know, he studied jazz so the mans mind is different to your regular metal head, he can understand that (in A7X) there are no scales.... ok theres a D5 chord...what does that tell you?

that theres a D, and an A so why do you assume this has to have a Dmin scale over it...it just needs a D and an A, so any mode of the maj scale bar locrian fits fine

i dont want to go off on one here, look into it, youl be a MUCH better guitarist for it
Quote by Warheart1188
Well, A7X plays in Drop D tuning so playing/writing songs in D minor is easy to do. G# is the augmented 4th in a D minor pentatonic scale and is used in the that keys relative blues scale and such. Plus, they used diminished lines and G# is used in that diminished scale. Using notes outside of a scale is not uncommon. You just have to know which ones sound good.

G# is also the tritone (same thing as augmented 4th/diminished 5th) which is used a lot in metal music. It gives you that "evil" sound.
Quote by jackblsdaniels

he was at berklee you know, he studied jazz so the mans mind is different to your regular metal head, he can understand that (in A7X) there are no scales.... ok theres a D5 chord...what does that tell you?

that theres a D, and an A so why do you assume this has to have a Dmin scale over it...it just needs a D and an A, so any mode of the maj scale bar locrian fits fine

i dont want to go off on one here, look into it, youl be a MUCH better guitarist for it

Hell, you don't have to be a berklee grad or anything to think like he does. Any seasoned musician (like myself) thinks like he does. I studied jazz on the piano when I was 15 and I transferred it over the guitar. Fun stuff. And just because you have a D5 chord doesn't mean what you play over it has to have a D and an A. Plus a Locrian scale works best when the tonic chord is a diminished chord. D5 is not diminished.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Cutlass_253
G# is also the tritone (same thing as augmented 4th/diminished 5th) which is used a lot in metal music. It gives you that "evil" sound.

That would be another possibility. It really depends on the context. If he's using something like 0-6-0-6 that's definitely tritone. I know that in Unholy Confessions he does

0-12-0-11-0-9-0-8-0-6

that is pretty much going straight down the diminished scale.
i always wondered this too. Anyways, so is it cool to swtich between scales in a song, cuz some songs i play (classical songs) do switch, and when i play A7X stuff, he does do some similar stuff, like in I Won't See You Tonight Part 1
Quote by jackblsdaniels

He didn't go to Berklee, he went to MI in Hollywood.
Quote by jackblsdaniels

:| and he didnt go to berklee
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by jackblsdaniels
ok theres a D5 chord...what does that tell you?

Now, I don't listen to A7X, but I highly doubt that all of their songs consist of going chugga chugga chugga on the two lowest strings. Just because you have a 5 chord, that doesn't mean that you can play 'anything you want'. Well, you can, but that's not my point. The other chords that they play help to define the scales that you can use.

If you have a i bVI iv in D, then you can pretty safely assume that you are using a D minor scale. The notes are D, F, A, and Bb. The b3 and b6 strongly imply minor tonality, so it would work well to solo over the whole thing with either the D minor or D harmonic minor scale.

And TS, I think your question has been answered, so I'm not going to bother repeating what's already been said.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by jackblsdaniels

dude, he uses more than a D5, and if you look at the solos they basically stay fixed in the D minor scale, apart from the G# they frequently use.....i did look into before i posted you know
but anyway, basically, he has a theoretical reason for using these different notes, such as changing scales to the diminished (Ive never heard of!) scale

someone mentioned it being the tritone, what the hell is this!!!!
oh i just looked, is the tritone just the diminished 5th? i.e. 6th semitones.frets above the root, i really understand that ^^ cus it sounds evil

do you guys recommend that i learn lots more theory such as more on th harmonic and melodic and diminished scales so i can alternate more and no more about using notes outside of the initial scale