I went back to guitar classes recently and the new teacher was doing something that I haven't seen previously. He had me lift my fingers between chords and strum the guitar once after a measure while repositioning fingers for the second measure. Is this normal?

Example-

I hold the G chord for the "1 + 2 + 3 + 4" and I lift my fingers and begin to reposition but strum the next "+" without holding anything down (which would be some version of an E chord, I guess), and then I drop my fingers immediately to play the next chord.

Is this something that acoustic players do, a way beginners are taught, or is this a preferred way to play chords? I normally don't have a problem switching chords that are in close position (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc). Is it a practice concept? Seems to make everything sound folksy.
Last edited by eminentgonz at Aug 13, 2008,
My teacher said this was a technique common to Bob Dylan.

I only do it if I am not quick enough to finger the next chord.
It can be all three depending on the context; some songs call for a really crisp smooth chord transition and others don't but at the moment it's probably better to think of it as an exercise otherwise you may never learn to transition chords smoothly.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by MyraT
My teacher said this was a technique common to Bob Dylan.

I only do it if I am not quick enough to finger the next chord.

Marley too, I heard.
Weapons of choice-
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

ya i do that when im doing choppy rhythms... but i never considered it a "technique"...

oh and where in ohio are ya?

*just hit me, isnt that the same principle with smells like teen spirit, except with power chords?
(the main riff)
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by AeroRocker
ya i do that when im doing choppy rhythms... but i never considered it a "technique"...

oh and where in ohio are ya?

*just hit me, isnt that the same principle with smells like teen spirit, except with power chords?
(the main riff)

Near Cleveland. You?
Weapons of choice-
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

It's not something you should make a habit of - it is a valid technique and is featured in a fair few songs but it's also something people can fall back on to compensate for poor technique.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
probably just a sound thing. u definitely dont need to do it but i guess some ppl just like the way it sounds.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Quote by eminentgonz
Near Cleveland. You?

ya me too,
N. Royalton, suburb of cleveland
████████████████████████
█████████████████████