Hi

Im a newb to this all recording shibang and what-not but...

What software (I already use Audacity) and what equipment I should use. Are the any good gadgets out there? Is there anything I could plug a bass lead in for dirt cheap that will work with vista?

Thanks for looking!
If you want quality I would say buy a Line 6 toneport

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINTPUX1

If you want to pay what you'd pay for a bag of dirt I'd say buy yourself a cable and proper audio connection to plug your bass into your computer's mic jack and record that way. That's how I did it when I was first starting out.

You don't need the most expensive gear to make a good recording but you do need to spend a little but of money for anything decent.
Hey, i recently purchased a mic off of Ebay, it's trully amazing... i must say, you can record vox and acoustic instruments, plus theres a plug in for your electric guitar so you could play that and record through there.
Samson G track...there's also a no delay in hearing what ur singin/playing through the mic as there's a head phone jack directly on the mic.
I'll try and give you more feedback when I know myself around the mic and test it out properly.
Hope this helped, oh yeah, it costs approximatly 100pounds/i assume around 200 dollars?
Quote by Javie18
If you want quality I would say buy a Line 6 toneport

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINTPUX1

If you want to pay what you'd pay for a bag of dirt I'd say buy yourself a cable and proper audio connection to plug your bass into your computer's mic jack and record that way. That's how I did it when I was first starting out.

You don't need the most expensive gear to make a good recording but you do need to spend a little but of money for anything decent.

The TonePort UX1 Pro is EXACTLY what I need and dirty cheap aswell! Sinse Im a UK resident I am getting it for £60.00!! Thanks alot this has really helped ALOT!
Be sure the Toneports work well on Vista before buying, (talk to someone who currently runs one on vista). I would personally stay away from them.

M-Audio has MUCH better drivers for their products when it comes to Vista. Also the drivers effect the sound quality so you want something good.
I would look into the M-Audio Fast Track USB or PreSonus Inspire 2496

Basically you need sequencer software like Audacity, a computer, and an audio interface.
An audio interface with instrument inputs and preamps on board will allow you to DI your instruments into them but you will want some software to model amps and FX such as Amplitube.

A cable directly to your sound card will work however you get poor results and latency so layering tracks will be very hard...
For that setup though you will want a TS 1/4" to 1/8" cable and plug into your mic port to get that extra gain.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 13, 2008,
Line 6 recently released Vista x64 drivers. I run the toneport with Vista x64 just fine.
anything mac can be easily recorded to garage band - free if you already have a way to connect the instruments to the computer

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.