hey everyone. i was wondering if anyone here has ever used any steel aluminum or bronze picks before? how do they sound? do they sound better than a regular tortex pick?

Thanks-
Schecter Hellraiser
Schecter S1+
Schecter Gryphon
Mesa Dual Rec.
Line6 Spider lll 75Watt Combo
WAY too many effects to list
I always thought they would be terrible for tremelo picking. As in they would kill your strings.

I have used coins but not metal picks.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
i was thinking they would give you a much brighter string response since it would be metal touching metal. the ones i seen were 0.30 gauge so they wouldn't be too hard to strum with and it still seems like they would be firm enough to pick individual strings. i'll probably just buy a set and see how they sound, also while im on the subject i forgot to mention this earlier but also has anyone ever used any picks made of wood? i've been curious about those too, i see some made from maple some from redwood and others made from exotic woods (atleast here to me, i'm in the u.s.) koa, australian lacewood, brazillian rosewood etc... this may be a dumb question but go easy on me. do you guys think that the diff. woods would have a diff. effect on the strings and their response? like for example would a pick made of rosewood sound different from a pick made from maple or cedar etc...?
Schecter Hellraiser
Schecter S1+
Schecter Gryphon
Mesa Dual Rec.
I had one for a while... Quite liked it, really. I found that I had to be a little more precise when picking, 'coz otherwise the pick scraped against the strings and I got a lot of unwanted noise, which isn't exactly a disadvantage, just showed me that my picking was sloppy! The only other disadvantage was that the one I had tended to rub off this black substance all over your fingers and guitar, which I more or less solved by wrapping a bit of duct tape around where I gripped the pick, which kept my fingers clean AND improved the grip a little, I felt.

Anyway, basically, just try 'em out, if you like 'em, go with it.

And I wouldn't think wooden picks would be up to much; I reckon they'd give a really dull sound and wear down/splinter way too fast. Don't think I've ever heard of an instrument which used a wooden pick, really, presumably for that reason.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I had one, it got bent from my playing, it was a little rough picking.

Didn't sound that good IMO. I say go with Monkey, try for yourself.
i bought some off ebay... i liked them. pinch harmonics a-plenty... however they are the normal size and i like small picks... if you want a couple ill mail em to you... pm me your address.
Thank you please.
I got a bunch from a company called IcePix. I dont use them they sound very bright and although I like rigid picks - Tortex 1.14mm - I cant get used to having absolutely no flex.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
I acctually made a couple of aluminium picks...Really nice metallic sound and your "scratches" sound insane :P
I have a copper plectrum which is extremely bright sounding. Can't say I use it much though...
I've got a metal pick. They sharpen up when you use them, and they kill your strings.
I use the ice pix brass and steel, and I've tried aluminum picks. I didn't like the aluminum very much, they were kind of scratchy. The brass ones sound gritty and bright, while the steel are more smooth and chimey. The tone changes pretty drastically on the brass ones after they've oxidized a bit. They do turn my fingers green, which is unfortunate.
i use a dr. sherpa thumbpick sometimes and i think it is made of brass. it also makes my fingers green. i usually have a green ring across my thumb from it lol.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i went ahaead and bought a set of metal picks. i got a pretty good deal off ebay. 2 aluminum 2 brass and 2 steel picks for a penny .01

i also bought a wooden pick from a company appropriately named "wooden picks" supposedly made out of some rare bolivian rosewood. it was a little more expensive though. 6.90 after shipping
Schecter Hellraiser
Schecter S1+
Schecter Gryphon
Mesa Dual Rec.
Quote by Downer01
i went ahaead and bought a set of metal picks. i got a pretty good deal off ebay. 2 aluminum 2 brass and 2 steel picks for a penny .01

i also bought a wooden pick from a company appropriately named "wooden picks" supposedly made out of some rare bolivian rosewood. it was a little more expensive though. 6.90 after shipping

Wooden picks are really warm. I like them.

Never used a metal one before, no.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by sglover34479
Also watch out with metal picks cause they gave EVH cancer. Just dont hold em in ur mouth.

Epic fail. EVH uses plastic picks, they're yellow, and a metal pick wouldn't give you cancer; it might, just, be the god-knows-how-many-cigarettes-a-day he smokes.

i have used a metal pick before but absolutely hated the feel; it felt really scratchy on the strings so I went back to good ol' dunlop tortex.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have one made of sterling silver, it's very nice, but then silver is smooth, soft and expensive as a metal so it would be. I don't use it. Sentimental value eh.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
so i got my metal picks in the mail today and suprisingly each one gives off a little diff. tone and reacts a little different. the bronze picks seem to have the darkest tone out of the bunch and the aluminum picks are pretty much like a big "blah" and the s. steel picks seemed to put out more of a bright jangly sound. by far my fav. one was the stainless steel picks. it's a little weird getting adjusted to them at first, since they have NO give or flex in them. i'm used to tortex .73 and .81's. overall i don't guess i really have much use for them, i like the tortex better. i dont guess i can complain though since i only paid a penny for all 6 of them. i haven't recieved my "rare" bolivian rosewood pick yet, so we'll see how that goes

wooden picks and electric guitars just don't seem to mesh too well together in my mind, it'll probly sound better on the acoustic
Schecter Hellraiser
Schecter S1+
Schecter Gryphon
Mesa Dual Rec.
i made 2 metal picks, one out of gold and one out of silver. The silver one is pretty awesome but the gold one kind of bubbled out and its a bit weird but interesting at the same time.