Why not just take the original pins out? it's not like it's difficult or really risky...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
you can get those dunlop plastic things that slip over the original pin. theyre apparently pretty good for the price, but a set of schaller straplocks would be better
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by Chorduroy
I am a klutzy slob and I don't want to risk stripping the screw-hole.

...You'd have to be seriously clumsy to do that...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
get the real thing and if your too clumsy get someone to do it for you... its not hard at all and they work allot better i had the plastic ones and my guitar slipped out and now i have a chip in my rr1!!! so now i have the good ones and they work great
Jackson RR1!@!!!@#!@#!@!@$
Quote by Lil'McGee
get the real thing and if your too clumsy get someone to do it for you... its not hard at all and they work allot better i had the plastic ones and my guitar slipped out and now i have a chip in my rr1!!! so now i have the good ones and they work great

Which ones do you like? Schaller? Dunlop?
Quote by Chorduroy
I am a klutzy slob and I don't want to risk stripping the screw-hole.

You've just gotta be ****ing retarded to do that.
AFTER YOU TAKE OUT THE ORIGINAL SCREW, FILL THE HOLE WITH A LIQUID OR PASTE WOOD FILLER...oops sorry for the caps lock...anyways, yah, use wood filler then put in the new screw before it dries, and wipe off any access that gets pushed out. It'll be friggin solid.
I dunno if this makes me punk or just cheap =) but I use the rubber washers from Grolsch flip top beer bottles. Hell they work great, no mods required, and its a great excuse to drink beer. Just take out the red rubber washers from the flip top and slap it on your guitar.
Rudeboy out!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by SkaJon
I dunno if this makes me punk or just cheap =) but I use the rubber washers from Grolsch flip top beer bottles. Hell they work great, no mods required, and its a great excuse to drink beer. Just take out the red rubber washers from the flip top and slap it on your guitar.
Rudeboy out!

id only do that with a very busted, very light guitar. would never do this with my bass lol. but yeah removing strap pins is really easy, you shouldnt strip the screwhole unless u haul them out with pliers!
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
id only do that with a very busted, very light guitar. would never do this with my bass lol. but yeah removing strap pins is really easy, you shouldnt strip the screwhole unless u haul them out with pliers!

Flea uses the washers from the beer bottles, he says he trusts them more than straplocks...

I use a metal washer I found for the bottom of the guitar, and it is SOLID, and I leave the strap pin on the top fin as it is, and no probs so far. But I just bought a Yamaha tele copy ($50 ) so I need something for that guitar as well, strap comes off sometimes , but I've only played it sitting down. Gonna try and find more washers of the same size, setup both pins on both guitars properly.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by CaptainJack666

I use the rubber washers with a MIM Telecaster (about 8 lbs) and it works just fine. I know that Tim Commerford the bassist from Rage Against The Machine uses the same red rubber washers from Grolsch beer bottles, and he's a pro in the business. Anyways if you want to spend money on strap lock systems, go ahead. For my uses, I will continue to drink beer and recycle the washers.

P.S. heres the wikipedia for Tim Commerford if you want to look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Commerford
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by CaptainJack666
you can get those dunlop plastic things that slip over the original pin. theyre apparently pretty good for the price, but a set of schaller straplocks would be better

That's what both me and my bass player use, and they've never failed us. I like them better because they're easier to take off, and they don't stick out as much as other strap locks do.
Metal washer work great. Go spend 20 dollars on straplocks if you want to, but you can get fail-safe washers for fifty cents. Just take off the strap pin.