I think I'm in too far over my head.

I dunno if should've bought my YCV50 Blue... I love it and all, but... it seems like I can't justify having it. It sounds great and I like that but... I don't think I deserve it. Like, I don't play in a band, only at home, and I have my Strat (which I also can't justify having) which buzzes like mad on both channels and all pickup positions. Urgh...

The problem is, I'm paying this off over a few months... so I'm in a sort of commitment now.

I feel more limited to be honest with my Traynor than with my Spider... I mean I love the sound obviously, but I don't really have any pedals (BOSS, but come on) or effects or anything.

I've been only playing 3 years, and I have all this. I dunno if that's a bit ridiculous, but it seems like I don't deserve all of this. What do I doooo?
Use it as a reason to get better at guitar?

The thing with buying a second amp is that you have to be sure about what kind of sound you're looking for. Thats why modellers and whatnot make good first amps, so a player can explore. If the Traynor has the sound you're looking for (Marshall-voiced), then you will not feel limited by the amp.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 13, 2008,
Keep it. Theres no real reason to not have it. if you used your money to get what you want, theres nothing wrong.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
That's another thing. I'm thinking of lessons, since I don't seem to be getting anywhere... I find myself playing the same stuff over and over. I think I might have to... had trouble following the lessons on this site; I think I need someone to show me...
Just look up tabs for songs you enjoy listening to, (if they arent too difficult) practice them and youll get better
Quote by Moggan13
Sig it and i'll give you a blowjob
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

I dunno if should've bought my YCV50 Blue... I love it and all, but... it seems like I can't justify having it. It sounds great and I like that but... I don't think I deserve it. Like, I don't play in a band, only at home, and I have my Strat (which I also can't justify having) which buzzes like mad on both channels and all pickup positions. Urgh...

The problem is, I'm paying this off over a few months... so I'm in a sort of commitment now.

I feel more limited to be honest with my Traynor than with my Spider... I mean I love the sound obviously, but I don't really have any pedals (BOSS, but come on) or effects or anything.

I've been only playing 3 years, and I have all this. I dunno if that's a bit ridiculous, but it seems like I don't deserve all of this. What do I doooo?

ive been playing for less then 2 years and i have a 700$ jackson and a tube amp, but i got the amp free. still, i dont "deserve" that stuff, but i have it anyway
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by Thescottsman
Just look up tabs for songs you enjoy listening to, (if they arent too difficult) practice them and youll get better

I do do that, but I feel as if theory is the way to... I barely know any scales and don't really understand the concepts. I want to be able to improvise more; I feel like I rely on memory far tooooo much... remembering every single note is quite tasking, lol.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I do do that, but I feel as if theory is the way to... I barely know any scales and don't really understand the concepts. I want to be able to improvise more; I feel like I rely on memory far tooooo much... remembering every single note is quite tasking, lol.

I know what you mean. Ive been self taught since 4th grade, didnt learn to read music, no theory, anything. But as I learned songs I liked I was able to take certain aspects of songs i liked and soon figured out the scales on my own. I just recently (im 17 now) got into the whole theory business.
Quote by Moggan13
Sig it and i'll give you a blowjob
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

Guitar is a very dynamic and expressive instrument. It sounds cliche, but the only way to become a good guitar player is experience. Not just practice, but over time, if you keep playing, you'll connect more and more.

There is one thing I always emphasize about playing guitar and its the importance of dynamics, something that has to do with a player's "feel" as opposed to knowledge of notes and scales. I mean, yeah, you gotta know some basic scales, patterns, basic chord structure, some elementary theory, but the best guitar players are the ones who do the most with the least.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
That's another thing. I'm thinking of lessons, since I don't seem to be getting anywhere... I find myself playing the same stuff over and over. I think I might have to... had trouble following the lessons on this site; I think I need someone to show me...

take a few lessons. let someone with more experience make a few suggestions, if you like it then carry on, if not then quit... no biggie. just dont get put off lessons by all the people on here who say they taught themselves and after a year they are better than [insert your favourite guitar hero here] or such like. do what you need to do to become the guitar player that you want to be.
Thank you please.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

just keep it. think of it as a lifelong investment. the traynor is a great amp that can be used for who-knows-how-long as long as you keep an interest in guitar. and in the far future, if you dont like guitar you can probably sell it for a decent price.

i mean theres no harm in having expensive gear as long as you use it.
with thing like instruments, the only way to go is up. it may be a slower road for some people but we all get to a respectable point in the end as long as you practice.

go take a look at some theory and technique lessons, then when you get tired of it work on covers for fun, then hit the lessons again. like i went a year learning theory and scales, got tired, and ive been doing covers ever since (like a year and a half now. i still learn but its not like cramming or intense workouts). but now i WANT to go back to learning lessons (which i will as soon as i finish my pedalboard build).

its all about doing it for the sake of doing it. dont let gear or lack of skill convince you otherwise
If we could only have the equipment we deserve, I'd have a Squier and a Spider. Enjoy your amp, and don't worry about what you do or don't "deserve." You like guitar? Well, keep playing.

And by all means, take a lesson or two. It's a great way to get out of a rut. I've been playing 30 years, and I've been thinking about taking a couple lessons, too. No shame in that.

Also, if you want to learn some scales, check out Blues You Can Use. Real easy to follow book with some great, basic guitar scales. A CD to hear what they're supposed to sound like, and to play along to. Great investment, too. About half the cost of a half hour lesson by me.

Also look up "cheap guitar," on You Tube. There's a guy on there who gives pretty detailed lessons on both electric and acoustic. Worth a look.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
As a long as you like it, then it's fine. "Deserving" doesn't matter. I plan to buy a Gibson Les Paul Custom when I get my compensation when I'm 18. Do I deserve such a guitar? No Does it matter? No. The point is, if you have the cash, and you know what you want, then get it. Just like my DSL, I got it on finance, will have payed off £240 by the end of this month. I'm not gigging places with my band where there isn't amps, so I don't need it for that. But I still use it. Not gigging doesn't mean you can't use it.
You can't think about stuff in terms of "do i deserve it". If you want it, and you can afford it, then you should get it.

Also, if you think you should have a few lessons, definitely do it.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Well, if you still have your spider, and you're feeling limited (most inexpensive tube amps aren't as versatile as we'd like them to be), then plug your guitar into the spider, plug a cable going from the preamp output of the spider, into the RTN of the YCV50's effects loop.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
do you think european footballers deserve 100 grand a week to do what 10 year old school kids do bacicly. As long as you arent stealing it you deserve it, enjoy! And the nicer the sound it makes the more you'll want to hear it, next thing you know youll be playing all the time and shredding that strat lolz
Yeah, you're all right. I'm gonna keep at it, and definitely take a few lessons.

I'll try and check out those books that you recommended too, Slats.

I suppose it wouldn't matter if I shielded my guitar myself. I mean, who cares if it voids the Fender warranty? I'll probably never send it to them for a tune up or anything.
Besides, I just paid it off, all $1000 of it, so it is mine COMPLETELY now.

I wanted to draw or etch designs into the pickguard but I dunno, could do with a nice tortoise shell one.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Besides, I just paid it off, all $1000 of it, so it is mine COMPLETELY now.

I wanted to draw or etch designs into the pickguard but I dunno, could do with a nice tortoise shell one.

Or grab a squier HSS or similar HSS that you can mod with pups n pick guard. That way you have a "beater" hanging around that you won't worry if it gets a nick. You deserve your gear, don't sweat that one bit. Keep to it, lessons are a good idea as well as learning full songs off tabs. I also check out the lesson videos on youtube, you will always be learning guitar as long as you play it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
btw, you have been commented.

YAY. I'll look into starting a few scales and stuff on Friday. I hope this helps me... I want to be able to write music too, so... I mean, everyone can, but I need some damn guidance. :P
talk about not deserving things....ive been playing for 5 years, but im not that great atleast in my eyes, and already have a collection started of guitar gear, im 17

ive got 3 tube amps (ac30,xxx, and hot rod deville)
and 4 guitars (epi sg, prs se, parker p36, and fender koa limited)
by no means do i deserve this...but i figure if its what i love to do y not

also i plan on attending berklee, i started a small home recording studio so i could get some audio engineering practice in before i hit the school
Dude, do yourself a favor and get Guitar Pro. Its a really cool tab reader. You can block off tricky parts and loop at slower speeds. ALso, there's a fretboard view that shows you where to play in real time.

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

Download the demo and check it out.